There are 78 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who on the current team will not be on the 2012 49ers?

Doubt Brooks is gone, he is much better this year., He will be retained.

Ginn I hope stays same with morgan.

Norris, Spencer, Chilo, Madieu wont return.

Goldson is wild card, dont know if he is worth a big contract, and he might bolt.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Me
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by mustangmele:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Joecool:
I think there will be some surprises. If Alex finishes the season as a top 5-10 QB, then he will want $$. Goldson will want $$ and so will Rogers. One of these guys, maybe two of them since we have Spencer, Culliver, and Brown will no longer be on our team.

Personally, seeing how our team was with Reggie Smith at FS, I would rather take Goldson over Rogers.

No way Joe, if Goldson wants bigtime money he seriously needs to work on his coverage skills and not giving up on plays that he can make a difference on.

Couldn't agree more!!!

I'd rather just let Goldson walk and draft another FS or SS or both.

I'm surprised by this. Goldson obviously isn't the best in coverage, but he brings a noticeable presence. He can catch too! I say we resign him as long as he doesn't want top 5 Safety money. But if I were the niners I'd pay him top 10 for sure. Just my opinion though.

My opinion on him, hes pretty solid in the underneath routes 10-15 yards from the LOS, but in deep coverage hes a liability. Most FS or at least the good ones in the NFL you can line up over the slot or let him loose deep on an island. With Goldson it just seems hes much more worried about big hits rather than playing the ball. The last good FS we've had was Zack Bronson, he didn't make too many (if any) big hits, but damn he was a Hawk, same with Parrish but he was more of a SS, still another Hawk though. With that said, I just don't think Goldson is worth top 5-10 money, not to mention hes shaky when it comes to his health.

Yeah I hear ya. I know what your saying and agree. The way I look at it is that for every play he gets beat deep he seems to either lay a really big hit, jar the ball loose or get a pick. So in the end I think it's just an exchange for what kind of player you prefer.
Originally posted by Chrs0049:
Don't understand why so many of you are saying that Goldson is going to be too expensive. He tried the market last year and couldn't find any takers. He's having a good year this year, but nothing much more spectacular than his previous years here. If he wants to try the market again, understood, but I can easily see him resigning here.

As for Ginn/ Edwards, they're both must haves. Ginn is a top 5 return man in the league and one of the main reasons that we have one of the best SP units in the league. Edwards (like Crab) does a lot of things in our system that go unnoticed by the stat sheet. He's a great, physical down field blocker which is great in our run game. He's a big target that we can utilize on 3rd and 6. Most importantly - his stats are going to show that he's had a down year, so to the naked eye he shouldn't command that much on the open market.

I agree. I don't understand why so many have Goldson leaving for money. If the niners get a win or two ing the playoffs I can't see any of the niners, especially starters, wanting to leave due to money. Plus, if we get playoff wins there are going to be top quality players willing to take paycuts for the chance to play on a YOUNG playoff team, a team with a coach that players have clearly bought into and trust. So I can't see the niners not offering him, or Braylon, an extension. At worst Goldson is an above average FS who likes to hit hard. As for Braylon I doubt he'd even want to leave. This is probably the best TEAM (and best coached team) he's been on in his career. Plus, skill wise and physically he fits our WC system. So I don't see either of them demanding to be paid top dollar. Clearly, we are going to keep Morgan. It is becoming clear that the 49ers are a multidimensional team that can win all kinds of ways. With Crabs, Edwards, and Morgan we pose even more match-up problems for opposing defences when we go into 3, 4, 5 wide sets.

Players I think could be gone in 2012:

Chilo Rachal, finally exposed as not being good enough

Reggie Smith, not good enough in my mind

Brett Swain, just won't be room

Shawntae Spencer, would hate to see him go but if Chris Culliver plays well against the Cardinals, like I think he will, I can't see the niners wanting to bring him back unless he takes serious paycut.

Madieu Williams, I really have't seen him do much

Scott Tolzien, Alex Smith has squashed all ambiguity so the 9ers won't need to keep 3 QB's in 2012. That roster spot could be used on a player that will actually play.

Justin Peelle, no room with Nate Byham healthy

Moran Norris, this one is purhaps the most obvious

Anthony Dixon, unless he works for peanuts

Terrell Brown, Chris Culliver could make this easy for the niners

I cannot see the 49ers just letting too many others go. Parys Haralson is just too important against the run, plus he get decent pressure. Aldon Smith is good but in keeping him we can focus our draft picks on the secondary, a WR, and maybe another RB. As for Ginn, please. The 49ers are NOT going to let Ginn go with what he's giving us on ST.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Nov 19, 2011 at 5:28 PM ]
Lets see

QB:

Alex, Likely back
Kaep, not going anywhere
Tolzien, back in Camp, with competition

RB:

Gore, back for sure
Hunter, not going anywhere
Dixon, Back in Camp, will compete with others

FB:

Miller, staying, starter at FB
Norris, Goner

WR:

Crabtree, not heading anywhere
Edwards, I think is back
Ginn, Toss-up, depends on if he wants back
Morgan, I think he is back
Williams, returns for camp at least
Swain, not back on roster(camp yes, 53 man, no)

TE:

Vernon, No way he is gone
Delanie, back for sure
Byham, will compete with Peelle
Pellee, will compete with Byham

C:

Goodwin, stays

OG:

Iupati, not going anywhere
Snyder, wild card, back if not too much money and not a long deal, still dont trust him
Rachal, terrible, bye bye
Kilgore, returns, will be the 3rd OG next yr
Person, returns, too versatile

OT:

Staley, returns, but need to work on his mistakes on pre-snap
Davis, returns, has gotten much better
Boone, returns either way, exclusive next year, but I see a extension for him

DE:

Smith, no way he isnt
McDonald, really impressive, great idea on the 5yr deal, stays
Tukuafu, competes
Dobbs, competes

NT:

Sopoaga, stays, really impressive, extend him
Jean Francois, stays
Williams, competes

OLB:

Brooks, not going anywhere
Aldon, STAYS
Parys, I see him staying now

ILB:

Willis, Stays
Bowman, stays and could be extended
Costanzo, stays, ST star
Grant, Competes
Gooden, Competes

CB:

Rogers, stays
Culliver, stays
Brock, back to compete
Spencer, bye bye
Brown, wild card, dont save much to cut
Holcomb, I think he makes the team

S:

Whitner, not going anywhere
Goldson, I've never been a fan, back for right price, but no way a 6-7M deal over 5yrs
Smith, I like him, hope he stays
Spillman, back
Jones, back
Madieu, gone

ST:

Jennings, back
Akers, back
Lee, back

Its amazing, I dont see many gone, outisde of the obvious ones, Norris, Chilo, Shawntae, we have a solid roster.
The Niners are good enough now that they will draft the "best available" regardless of position, and then those who play at those positions now will be candidates to be traded away.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Joecool:
I think there will be some surprises. If Alex finishes the season as a top 5-10 QB, then he will want $$. Goldson will want $$ and so will Rogers. One of these guys, maybe two of them since we have Spencer, Culliver, and Brown will no longer be on our team.

Personally, seeing how our team was with Reggie Smith at FS, I would rather take Goldson over Rogers.

No way Joe, if Goldson wants bigtime money he seriously needs to work on his coverage skills and not giving up on plays that he can make a difference on.

Couldn't agree more!!!

I'd rather just let Goldson walk and draft another FS or SS or both.

I'm surprised by this. Goldson obviously isn't the best in coverage, but he brings a noticeable presence. He can catch too! I say we resign him as long as he doesn't want top 5 Safety money. But if I were the niners I'd pay him top 10 for sure. Just my opinion though.

My opinion on him, hes pretty solid in the underneath routes 10-15 yards from the LOS, but in deep coverage hes a liability. Most FS or at least the good ones in the NFL you can line up over the slot or let him loose deep on an island. With Goldson it just seems hes much more worried about big hits rather than playing the ball. The last good FS we've had was Zack Bronson, he didn't make too many (if any) big hits, but damn he was a Hawk, same with Parrish but he was more of a SS, still another Hawk though. With that said, I just don't think Goldson is worth top 5-10 money, not to mention hes shaky when it comes to his health.

Yeah I hear ya. I know what your saying and agree. The way I look at it is that for every play he gets beat deep he seems to either lay a really big hit, jar the ball loose or get a pick. So in the end I think it's just an exchange for what kind of player you prefer.

Hey Kohole, how you like Goldson now? Forget the the stupid punches, he had a good game huh?