There are 131 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who on the current team will not be on the 2012 49ers?

Originally posted by oldtimer49er:
folks are talking way too much about money here. yes, we're gonna have to pay a number of our guys if we want to retain them after a season like this one, but the niners have a TON of cap space to work with. the bigger question will be determining who fits into our plans moving forward, not who we can afford.

I agree. Of course they'll be conscious of spending but I think performance/age will be the determining factor.
  • ttime
Originally posted by English:
Come on man. Ted Ginn is probably the second best return man in the League! Finally we are getting great field position, and you say we can upgrade in the draft. I can't take that seriously.

I agree here. He also contributes on offense. If he had better hands, he would be a #1 receiver. But, he contributes way more than a lot of #3 receivers. Some people tend to hang on to what he does not seem to have and overlook his strengths. It will be a very big mistake to let Ginn go unless the team has a better replacement.
Spencer won't be here since somehow he is in the doghouse and is 4th or 5th on the depth chart.
Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by King49er:
Norris, Ginn, A.Dixon,, Edwards, Shawntae Spencer, and either Brooks or Parys

Losing Ginn, Edwards and Brooks would smack of incompetence. We need all three of them. I cant visualise losing them all.

Ginn can be upgraded in the draft, and so can Edwards. I'd hate to see Brooks go but we have to start getting used to losing fan favorites now that we are good again. the value on our players goes up to other teams and they'll pay more than we will because they've been apart of winning.

If we keep our core, players like the ones mentioned above are easily replaced every year.

I'm willing to put money on it and check back on this thread in the off season.

Come on man. Ted Ginn is probably the second best return man in the League! Finally we are getting great field position, and you say we can upgrade in the draft. I can't take that seriously.

Seriously...as a returner he is top notch. You guys saying he'll be gone make me do this...

Because of the play and upside of Brock, Culliver and Miller, Norris and Spencer are pretty much sure cuts. Rachal should be on that list as well, but you never know. They kept him after his horrible play last season.
BUT isn't rachal a FA at the end of the season?
Originally posted by GEEK:
Publicly, Ahmad Brooks and Carlos Rogers have stated that they want to return to the 49ers. And I see this happening.

If anything, we can easily cut Parys Haralson, and allocate those savings to Brooks's contract. Same with Spencer and Rogers's new contract.

So here's my list:

- Ted Ginn Jr.
- Moran Norris
- Shawntae Spencer
- Madeau Williams
- Reggie Smith
- Parys Haralson

Ted Ginn better stay with us.
Don't understand why so many of you are saying that Goldson is going to be too expensive. He tried the market last year and couldn't find any takers. He's having a good year this year, but nothing much more spectacular than his previous years here. If he wants to try the market again, understood, but I can easily see him resigning here.

As for Ginn/ Edwards, they're both must haves. Ginn is a top 5 return man in the league and one of the main reasons that we have one of the best SP units in the league. Edwards (like Crab) does a lot of things in our system that go unnoticed by the stat sheet. He's a great, physical down field blocker which is great in our run game. He's a big target that we can utilize on 3rd and 6. Most importantly - his stats are going to show that he's had a down year, so to the naked eye he shouldn't command that much on the open market.
-Braylon Edwards
-Shawntae Spencer
-Tarrell Brown
-Parys Haralson
-Reggie Smith
-Madeau Williams
-Moran Norris
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Spencer won't be here since somehow he is in the doghouse and is 4th or 5th on the depth chart.

Yah, didn't see that coming!!!
Originally posted by Joecool:
Personally, seeing how our team was with Reggie Smith at FS, I would rather take Goldson over Rogers.

I think our db's and Alex Smith should take priority. Can't remember if Goodwin is a FA after this year or not but the oline needs to stay intact also. Not to worried about wr position. Josh Morgan is better than any other wr on our team and will more than cover for Braylon Edwards' production.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I think there will be some surprises. If Alex finishes the season as a top 5-10 QB, then he will want $$. Goldson will want $$ and so will Rogers. One of these guys, maybe two of them since we have Spencer, Culliver, and Brown will no longer be on our team.

Personally, seeing how our team was with Reggie Smith at FS, I would rather take Goldson over Rogers.

No way Joe, if Goldson wants bigtime money he seriously needs to work on his coverage skills and not giving up on plays that he can make a difference on.

Couldn't agree more!!!

I'd rather just let Goldson walk and draft another FS or SS or both.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I think there will be some surprises. If Alex finishes the season as a top 5-10 QB, then he will want $$. Goldson will want $$ and so will Rogers. One of these guys, maybe two of them since we have Spencer, Culliver, and Brown will no longer be on our team.

No way Joe, if Goldson wants bigtime money he seriously needs to work on his coverage skills and not giving up on plays that he can make a difference on.

Couldn't agree more!!!

I'm surprised by this. Goldson obviously isn't the best in coverage, but he brings a noticeable presence. He can catch too! I say we resign him as long as he doesn't want top 5 Safety money. But if I were the niners I'd pay him top 10 for sure. Just my opinion though.
Originally posted by YungAce:
-Braylon Edwards
-Shawntae Spencer
-Tarrell Brown
-Parys Haralson
-Reggie Smith
-Madeau Williams
-Moran Norris

This list is probably perfect, with one caveat. I really want to see Edwards get fully healthy and make in impact. If he does, there is no way we can let him go.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by mustangmele:
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Couldn't agree more!!!

I'm surprised by this. Goldson obviously isn't the best in coverage, but he brings a noticeable presence. He can catch too! I say we resign him as long as he doesn't want top 5 Safety money. But if I were the niners I'd pay him top 10 for sure. Just my opinion though.

My opinion on him, hes pretty solid in the underneath routes 10-15 yards from the LOS, but in deep coverage hes a liability. Most FS or at least the good ones in the NFL you can line up over the slot or let him loose deep on an island. With Goldson it just seems hes much more worried about big hits rather than playing the ball. The last good FS we've had was Zack Bronson, he didn't make too many (if any) big hits, but damn he was a Hawk, same with Parrish but he was more of a SS, still another Hawk though. With that said, I just don't think Goldson is worth top 5-10 money, not to mention hes shaky when it comes to his health.
Moran Norris and Chilo Rachal seem to be locks not to return. I'm sure there will be others, but there are more who I hope stay on the team rather than leave.