There are 130 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Once upon a time there was a gun slinger

Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Last 10 superbowls:

2001.... Ravens win the superbowl with Trent f*cking Dilfer
2002.... Greatest show on turf loses to upstart Tom Brady's game management skills.
2003.... #1 offense (raiders) in the nfl loses to the #1 defense (buccs) in the NFL
2004.... the 17th ranked offense (pats) & 7th ranked defense beats the 18th ranks offense & 8th ranked defense (panthers)
2005.... Peyton Manning breaks the all time TD record, eliminated by the pats (who is top 10 in O & D this year). Indy D is ranked 29th
2006.... (the anomily and you can blame Rex Grossman for that) Indy 3rd in O, 21st in D, beats Bears, 15th ranked O and 5th ranked D
2007.... Probably the best offense ever fielded (Patriots) upset by the Giants. Why? NY had he best front 4 in the game and Eli stopped making mistakes.
2008.... Steelers 22ND in offense and 1st in defense, beats the Cards who are 4th in offense, and 22nd in defense.
2009.... Saints vs Colts. In a game vs two offensive powerhouses. the plays of the game were a surprise onside kick, and a defensive TD.
2010.... Offense makes the difference in this game. But two top ten defenses make their way in, with the Steelers D carrying in a middle of the road ranked offense.

wtf....2005 should be: idiot seahags become the first of two NFC west teams (the other being the tards) to give the Steelers another Lombardi trophy, thus aiding in the decrease in the 49ers' championship allure (temporarily)
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by prime21:
and Aaron Rodgers

He doesnt have ring(s) as a plural just yet.

He will
I hope not, I really hate that goofy douche. If he played back when defense was allowed in the NFL, he would already be retired with the concussion problems he has. I guess it is not too late for that to happen, maybe Suh's dirty ass will knock him out of football.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
and Aaron Rodgers

He will
I hope not, I really hate that goofy douche. If he played back when defense was allowed in the NFL, he would already be retired with the concussion problems he has. I guess it is not too late for that to happen, maybe Suh's dirty ass will knock him out of football.

Now thats plain wrong to want someone to get injured.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
and Aaron Rodgers

He will

you dont know anything about football Sus.....
and Aaron Rodgers

He will

I really don't want the guy to get injured, just tired of him even being in the conversation as one of the best ever, he is in no way the best ever, nor will he ever be. Unless he enters a look like Jake Gyllenhall in Brokeback Mountain contest, he is the best at that.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
and Aaron Rodgers

He will

I really don't want the guy to get injured, just tired of him even being in the conversation as one of the best ever, he is in no way the best ever, nor will he ever be. Unless he enters a look like Jake Gyllenhall in Brokeback Mountain contest, he is the best at that.

hey memphis, now that Alex is playing like Alex Manning, we can all be friends..?
Originally posted by verb1der:
But today's NFL has evolved, and Tom Brady's stats, and rings prove it.

UM NO, Brady's rings came when they ran the ball a lot. once they started throwing constantly Brady lost the superbowl. and/or didn't make the big game. Justsayin
But today's NFL has evolved, and Tom Brady's stats, and rings prove it.

and Aaron Rodgers

and Drew Brees, and Rothlisberger...

Brady is far more of a Joe than a Dan though... atleast he was when he actually won championships.
Originally posted by fly15:
and Aaron Rodgers

He will

hey memphis, now that Alex is playing like Alex Manning, we can all be friends..?

as long as we all dislike Rodgers and the fudgepack!
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Last 10 superbowls:

2001.... Ravens win the superbowl with Trent f*cking Dilfer
2002.... Greatest show on turf loses to upstart Tom Brady's game management skills.
2003.... #1 offense (raiders) in the nfl loses to the #1 defense (buccs) in the NFL
2004.... the 17th ranked offense (pats) & 7th ranked defense beats the 18th ranks offense & 8th ranked defense (panthers)
2005.... Peyton Manning breaks the all time TD record, eliminated by the pats (who is top 10 in O & D this year). Indy D is ranked 29th
2006.... (the anomily and you can blame Rex Grossman for that) Indy 3rd in O, 21st in D, beats Bears, 15th ranked O and 5th ranked D
2007.... Probably the best offense ever fielded (Patriots) upset by the Giants. Why? NY had he best front 4 in the game and Eli stopped making mistakes.
2008.... Steelers 22ND in offense and 1st in defense, beats the Cards who are 4th in offense, and 22nd in defense.
2009.... Saints vs Colts. In a game vs two offensive powerhouses. the plays of the game were a surprise onside kick, and a defensive TD.
2010.... Offense makes the difference in this game. But two top ten defenses make their way in, with the Steelers D carrying in a middle of the road ranked offense.

^^ You can look at all these Superbowl years, and see that more than half of the Superbowl MVPs, are QBs and WRs.

Superbowl MVPs
2001 - Ray Lewis
2001 - Tom Brady
2003 - Dexter Jackson
2004 - Tom Brady
2005 - Deion Branch
2006 - Hines Ward
2007 - Peyton Manning
2008 - Eli Manning
2009 - Santonio Holmes
2010 - Drew Brees
2011 - Aaron Rodgers

The NFL has evolved and offense ultimately wins championships.
^^^ meaningless.

All time Super Bowl MVPs:

QB: 24
RB: 7
WR: 6
DE: 2
LB: 2
S: 2
CB: 1
DT: 1
KR: 1

"Most Valuable Player" has always favored offense, it has nothing to do with the "evolution of the game."
Originally posted by fly15:
and Aaron Rodgers

He will

Man I am friends with every Niner fan, just because we don't agree on the occasional issue doesn't make it otherwise. Also I don't think he is playing like a Manning, I think he is playing like Alex Smith, and that is fine by me.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

"Most Valuable Player" has always favored offense, it has nothing to do with the "evolution of the game."

Perhaps MVPs aren't the prime indicator of the evolution, but Peyton, Eli, Drew Brees, Brady, and Rodgers were unquestionable MVPs. I just had to make a point about the list above.

But my main point is "gun slingers" have been the biggest impact on championship teams in the last decade.
Originally posted by Chico:
Very true but i think our so called "experts" still haven't learned anything! All they see is that a QB threw for 400 yards plus and 5 TDs...yet they rarely talk about how he threw 3 interceptions and CHOKED when the game was on the line!!!

i think they are more concerned with yards than with the wins & losses!

Exactly - gee thanks for Fantasy Football!
Originally posted by HessianDud:

Perhaps MVPs aren't the prime indicator of the evolution, but Peyton, Eli, Drew Brees, Brady, and Rodgers were unquestionable MVPs. I just had to make a point about the list above.

But my main point is "gun slingers" have been the biggest impact on championship teams in the last decade.

I think "gunslinger" is being really improperly used in this thread. Brett Favre is a "gunslinger." Tom Brady is not. Neither was Dan Marino. And neither is Peyton, Brees, or Eli. Rodgers, maybe, because of his willingness to chuck it anywhere and his improvisational style, but I wonder if he'd do that without the best WR corps in the league?

Great quarterbacks have always been MVPs and associated with being the major reason for a championship teams success. But just about every championship team has a good to great defense. Rodgers, the greatest QB who ever graced the Earth with his heavenly presence, had a defense that returned an interception for a touchdown in 3 of 4 games in the postseason--and in two of those games they won by less than a TD. Also, Packers D last year was #2 in PPG.

nothing has changed in the relationship between QB's, great defenses, and championships.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home