There are 294 users in the forums

Is David Akers the best kicker we ever had?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is David Akers the best kicker we ever had?

Originally posted by tjd808185:
I don't think we're too far apart. The only thing we actually disagree about is what value they placed on Manning. We both agree it was nowhere near 90 million but were we separate is starter and backup value. I think the scenario that you're advocating is a slap in the face to Peyton and I don't think we'd bother doing that.

You're still arguing points I'm not making and have never made. How can we disagree about the value they placed on Manning when I've never even speculated or insisted the value they placed on him. I've stated numerous times (and agreed with you) that Baalke & Harbaugh probably thought the "insulting" scenario was highly unlikely. I've also stated that I don't think their intention was to simply offer the "insulting" scenario right off the bat. Let me make this clear, I DID NOT speculate what their bottom line offer to Peyton was. However, I DID speculate that Harbaugh & Baalke considered every scenario (which includes likely/unlikely and best case/worst case). With our cap situation and roster structure, the 49ers obviously couldn't match Peyton's $90M+ demand (the numbers just don't work out to make it possible). Therefore, they considered the possible alternatives (and I mean ALL the alternatives) of how Peyton can fit on the team without changing the roster structure.

Off-topic, but let me ask you 2 questions:

1. Given the fact that Randy Moss (one of the greatest WRs of all time) was guaranteed $0 and has to compete just to make the team, did you think he signed an "insulting" contract?

2. In 1987, Joe Montana went 10-1 as a starter, led the league in passing percentage (66.8%), led the league in touchdown passes (31), led the league in QB rating (102.1), went to the Pro Bowl, made 1st team All Pro, and already had 2 Super Bowl MVPs under his belt. The following season, he was forced into a QB competition against Steve Young (who at the time was considered a bust, had a 5-17 career record, a career passing percentage of 53%, and 21 touchdowns/21 interceptions over 3 NFL seasons). Did you think the QB competition was an "insulting" situation for Joe Montana?

I want to apologize once again for any rudeness I displayed to you, and I do respect your opinion I just don't agree with it. I don't think we were trying to insult Alex in anyway shape or form. One of the greatest qbs ever called and we did our due dillegence and gaged his interest. I don't even think we got the part of what is value as a Niner was. It was us looking at him and saying could this work and neither side felt too comfortable about it. It's very likely that we were looking at the football aspect of this. Forget contracts although I'm sure we had ceiling number in mind. Here's one of the greatest qbs to ever play the game let's see how he fits with what we do and if that all works out and both sides are liking what they see we can talk out a deal from there.

I agree that the situation wasn't an insult to Alex and I also agree that Harbaugh/Baalke were just evaluating Peyton. I never disputed anything you said in the quote above. We're pretty much in agreement that Manning contacted us, we checked him out, and nothing serious happened. I'm not sure what this adds to the argument.
[ Edited by candlestick49er on Jun 8, 2012 at 3:08 PM ]
No one believes it. No one. As in not anyone.

Per a source with knowledge of the Peyton chase, no one should. And the total disbelief in league circles has made the issue a "running joke."
The Niners didn't simply kick Manning's tires. There were in it until the very end. Though the Broncos, 49ers, and Titans were regarded as the finalists, it actually came down, we're told, to Denver and San Francisco.

Link

This might pist-off Harbaugh into dealing an ass kick to every team in the schedule and do it with Alex Smith to prove a point. NFL running joke on Harbaugh... Jim will go medieval on their ass with absolutely no quarter. I love it

Sounds like another media butt hurt article. Jim just came out and told you your reporting/speculation were wrong. Deal with it. What's your deal...
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jun 10, 2012 at 6:08 AM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

This might pist-off Harbaugh into dealing an ass kick to every team in the schedule and do it with Alex Smith to prove a point. NFL running joke on Harbaugh... Jim will go medieval on their ass with absolutely no quarter. I love it

Sounds like another media butt hurt article. Jim just came out and told you your reporting/speculation were wrong. Deal with it. What's your deal...

It's like he's moved on from finding press clippings to motivate the players to planting quotes that the media will misrepresent in order to keep himself motivated.

...evil genius
"Love the one you're with" sung to the tune of "Love the one you're with!"
Originally posted by candlestick49er:
I don't think we're too far apart. The only thing we actually disagree about is what value they placed on Manning. We both agree it was nowhere near 90 million but were we separate is starter and backup value. I think the scenario that you're advocating is a slap in the face to Peyton and I don't think we'd bother doing that.

You're still arguing points I'm not making and have never made. How can we disagree about the value they placed on Manning when I've never even speculated or insisted the value they placed on him. I've stated numerous times (and agreed with you) that Baalke & Harbaugh probably thought the "insulting" scenario was highly unlikely. I've also stated that I don't think their intention was to simply offer the "insulting" scenario right off the bat. Let me make this clear, I DID NOT speculate what their bottom line offer to Peyton was. However, I DID speculate that Harbaugh & Baalke considered every scenario (which includes likely/unlikely and best case/worst case). With our cap situation and roster structure, the 49ers obviously couldn't match Peyton's $90M+ demand (the numbers just don't work out to make it possible). Therefore, they considered the possible alternatives (and I mean ALL the alternatives) of how Peyton can fit on the team without changing the roster structure.

Off-topic, but let me ask you 2 questions:

1. Given the fact that Randy Moss (one of the greatest WRs of all time) was guaranteed $0 and has to compete just to make the team, did you think he signed an "insulting" contract?

2. In 1987, Joe Montana went 10-1 as a starter, led the league in passing percentage (66.8%), led the league in touchdown passes (31), led the league in QB rating (102.1), went to the Pro Bowl, made 1st team All Pro, and already had 2 Super Bowl MVPs under his belt. The following season, he was forced into a QB competition against Steve Young (who at the time was considered a bust, had a 5-17 career record, a career passing percentage of 53%, and 21 touchdowns/21 interceptions over 3 NFL seasons). Did you think the QB competition was an "insulting" situation for Joe Montana?

I want to apologize once again for any rudeness I displayed to you, and I do respect your opinion I just don't agree with it. I don't think we were trying to insult Alex in anyway shape or form. One of the greatest qbs ever called and we did our due dillegence and gaged his interest. I don't even think we got the part of what is value as a Niner was. It was us looking at him and saying could this work and neither side felt too comfortable about it. It's very likely that we were looking at the football aspect of this. Forget contracts although I'm sure we had ceiling number in mind. Here's one of the greatest qbs to ever play the game let's see how he fits with what we do and if that all works out and both sides are liking what they see we can talk out a deal from there.

I agree that the situation wasn't an insult to Alex and I also agree that Harbaugh/Baalke were just evaluating Peyton. I never disputed anything you said in the quote above. We're pretty much in agreement that Manning contacted us, we checked him out, and nothing serious happened. I'm not sure what this adds to the argument.

tjd?
So now Harbaugh does an interview with Mike Sando and accuses the media of calling him a liar. Just let it go Jim. Is Alex Smith's self confidence THAT fragile?
"That you can concisely, exactly say it how you see it and believe it, and then somebody can call you a liar, that would make me wonder about the shadiness of that person," Harbaugh said. "You know, the seediness, the diabolical world that somebody would live in that would think that another man would come right to his face and lie to him.

"You don't really understand another man until you've walked in their shoes, but I don't understand that world. I don't understand the world where somebody would lie themselves or be lied to to that extent where they could commit character assassination on somebody else that is telling the truth."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest

You can be on whatever side you want to. I'm gonna side with the coach that led us to a remarkable record and playoff run in yr 1 of his arrival.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
"That you can concisely, exactly say it how you see it and believe it, and then somebody can call you a liar, that would make me wonder about the shadiness of that person," Harbaugh said. "You know, the seediness, the diabolical world that somebody would live in that would think that another man would come right to his face and lie to him.

"You don't really understand another man until you've walked in their shoes, but I don't understand that world. I don't understand the world where somebody would lie themselves or be lied to to that extent where they could commit character assassination on somebody else that is telling the truth."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest

You can be on whatever side you want to. I'm gonna side with the coach that led us to a remarkable record and playoff run in yr 1 of his arrival.

"We're not really interested in impressing the media with examples," Harbaugh said with a smile.

Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
"We're not really interested in impressing the media with examples," Harbaugh said with a smile.

Yep. Good for him. F**k the media.
Harbaugh's comment about having his children's life depend on Crabtree catching the ball, sounds hella disturbing to me. Really Jim...? The guy that let a simple slant pass doink off his chest. To be fair though, Harbaugh wasn't here for the previous years when Crabtree volleyball the ball for INTs on a shallow cross in the middle of the field. Crabtree didn't drop as many easy balls last year.

Jim is intoxicated with his players.

It's the FO's own doing regarding the Manning evaluation. They were so very silent on the matter that when Harbaugh came out to set it straight, no one believes him because it goes against all the media speculations. He's basically telling the media that they were wrong. No one tells the media that they were wrong without consequences. A losing battle for Harbaugh.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Harbaugh's comment about having his children's life depend on Crabtree catching the ball, sounds hella disturbing to me. Really Jim...? The guy that let a simple slant pass doink off his chest. To be fair though, Harbaugh wasn't here for the previous years when Crabtree volleyball the ball for INTs on a shallow cross in the middle of the field. Crabtree didn't drop as many easy balls last year.

Jim is intoxicated with his players.

It's the FO's own doing regarding the Manning evaluation. They were so very silent on the matter that when Harbaugh came out to set it straight, no one believes him because it goes against all the media speculations. He's basically telling the media that they were wrong. No one tells the media that they were wrong without consequences. A losing battle for Harbaugh.

I personally dont believe very much that comes out of JH's mouth. Its all about winning so I dont care.
Originally posted by NorthNiner:
So now Harbaugh does an interview with Mike Sando and accuses the media of calling him a liar. Just let it go Jim. Is Alex Smith's self confidence THAT fragile?

The media did in fact call him a liar. Why shouldn't he say that? Several comments have been linked on the zone. If he makes the issue Jim Harbaugh against the media? He wins. Unless he starts losing...in which case the gotcha media will be screaming for his head.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by NorthNiner:

The media did in fact call him a liar. Why shouldn't he say that? Several comments have been linked on the zone. If he makes the issue Jim Harbaugh against the media? He wins. Unless he starts losing...in which case the gotcha media will be screaming for his head.

Exactly. It's all good as long as he wins, but there will be adversity along the way. It is inevitable and it happens to the best of coaches. I'm sure the media is prepping for the 1st time Harbaugh goes on a 2 game losing streak, and when he does they will go ape s**t.

I wish Harbaugh would just let this whole Peyton Manning thing go. I understand he doesn't want to be branded a liar, or that maybe he is trying to deflect heat away from his team, but it's just not necessary. We don't need this to develop into a media frenzy.

I will always take Harbaugh's side over anyone else's because he's a proven winner, but this has to stop.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jun 13, 2012 at 5:38 PM ]
Akers is in a slump. A slump for Akers means missing one to three a year.

Usually this guy is automatic. I hope he gets better with whatever is going on so he can focus.
Colin Kaepernick's dad....

/thread
Share 49ersWebzone