LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 344 users in the forums

Is David Akers the best kicker we ever had?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is David Akers the best kicker we ever had?

Many people think Harbaugh is lying about the whole Manning "pursuit/evaluation". But looking at his quotes, there seems to be more truth than BS...

"Alex Smith is our quarterback, was our quarterback and had every intention of always bringing him back. There'd be no circumstance where we would've let Alex Smith go."

Truth. The Niners offered Alex a contract BEFORE the Manning situation, kept the offer on the table DURING the Manning situation, and didn't withdraw the offer AFTER the Manning situation. Harbaugh claims the intention was to bring Alex back and the team's actions back that statement up.

"Now, were we out there seeing, evaluating if we could have them both? Heck, yeah. You evaluate that. You eliminate the possibility. Further evidence, we would not have given any player that was out there in free agency (one-sixth) of our salary cap and let six or seven of our own guys go."

Truth. We learned that Smith's contract is pretty much a 1 year "prove it again" deal that wouldn't significantly hurt the team's cap if he was cut. If Manning was willing to sign a cap-friendly contract to play for a legit contender, there's a possibility we could have had both QBs in training camp this year. Obviously, Manning wanted a deal that would've ate up 1/6 of our salary cap. The Niners weren't willing to give him (or any other free agent) that amount. Therefore, the possibility of having both QBs was eliminated.

Q: Did Manning contact the 49ers and express interest in joining the 49ers?
Harbaugh: "Yeah, like I said, there was interest."

If Peyton contacted the team first, it could be said that he pursued the 49ers as an option. He reached out, and the team responded to his interest.

Did the Niners have mutual interest in Manning? Of course! If a future HOF QB informs you that he's interested in playing for your team, you consider the possibility.

"There's a perception out there, and it's an erroneous perception, that we were flirting with Peyton Manning. I keep hearing that over and over and over again. It's silly. And it's untrue. It's phony. Even the perception we were pursuing him. We were evaluating him."

Truth. There's a difference between evaluation and pursuit.

Evaluation: Peyton expressed interest in the team, so they checked him out.
Pursuit: The Niners reach out to Peyton and go out of their way to give him what he demands. (This didn't happen)
candlestick49er--nice job! Much to do about nothing me thinks!
Even a 3rd grader could tell that there is no chance in Hell that both Peyton Manning and Alex Smith could be a 49er.

It's not coiencedental that Alex Smith ran to Miami the second he heard we were flirting with Peyton Manning. That's because if Peyton chose us that means he's looking for a new job.

He had no scheduled visits until the Manning news broke out. The second Peyton chose Denver he's flying right back to SF.

We never denied interest in Peyton Manning. We worked him out. Read between the lines. If Peyton was going to play for the right price that meant Alex Smith was going somewhere else. The offer being on the table is irrelvant. If Peyton signed with us that offer would no longer be on the table.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Even a 3rd grader could tell that there is no chance in Hell that both Peyton Manning and Alex Smith could be a 49er.

It's not coiencedental that Alex Smith ran to Miami the second he heard we were flirting with Peyton Manning. That's because if Peyton chose us that means he's looking for a new job.

He had no scheduled visits until the Manning news broke out. The second Peyton chose Denver he's flying right back to SF.

We never denied interest in Peyton Manning. We worked him out. Read between the lines. If Peyton was going to play for the right price that meant Alex Smith was going somewhere else. The offer being on the table is irrelvant. If Peyton signed with us that offer would no longer be on the table.

Disagree and believe your timing is incorrect. He did not visit Miami right away, but after the Manning thing seemed to stall. He did not run back to SF after Manning signed with Denver, but before Manning signed.

Also--"we" did not work Manning out, he worked out and invited the 9ers to watch...on the E Coast, not at the 9er headquarters. And the 9ers did not deny interest because they did not need to do so. They also did not deny interest in Brady, Rodgers or Brees. Why did Mannining visit the other players but not SF?

If the offer was on the table they would have likely made it conditional upon offering Manning a deal...if they did not want to sign both.

Personally, I believe they were interested in Manning but under very strict guidelines that would have likely been rejected by PM. Harbaugh would not have given PM carte blanche over the offense and Baalke would have structured a contract with outs in case of injury, etc. They are not going to blow up the team for a QB recovering from several neck surgeries, Hall of Fame talent or not.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jun 2, 2012 at 8:25 AM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Like I said, Alex signed a contract that allows him to be cut without significant damage to the cap. Lets assume Peyton was willing to sign a low-risk/high-reward incentive-based deal since he's coming back from a very serious injury, missed a year, and has a chance to play for a SB contender. That creates a situation where we could have both players on the roster (for training camp/pre-season at least). You're probably thinking there's no chance Peyton would ever consider signing that type of deal...well, that's why you check him out and see if its an option. Was the situation of having both QBs on the team unlikely? Absolutely it was very unlikely, but you can't rule it out 100% unless you evaluate the situation and see for yourself (which is what Harbaugh & Baalke did).

As for Alex checking out Miami, he was just looking out for himself like any free agent would do. He originally assumed that he was gonna re-sign with the Niners and return to the team as the unchallenged starting QB. Now with Manning possibly coming in, he would obviously have to compete as the underdog to keep his job. Why settle for that situation without checking out other possibilities first? As I said earlier, Smith's offer was still on the table throughout the Manning evaluation. Whatever Smith was doing doesn't change the fact that the Niners intended to bring him back. Remember, he had the option of taking the offer at any point during the process (even before Manning made his decision).

BTW, my intelligence isn't below a 3rd grader.
I think it was a serious evaluation that could have turned into something more had Peyton expressed more interest. But like some said...he never came to Santa Clara...we "never made an offer" so to speak so who knows.

I don't think it was "nothing" like Harbaugh says but I also don't think it was as serious as some like to think. We kicked the tires, applied for financing, but ultimately stuck with the Toyota Camry over the Mercedes S63 AMG.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
I don't think it was "nothing" like Harbaugh says but I also don't think it was as serious as some like to think. We kicked the tires, applied for financing, but ultimately stuck with the Toyota Camry over the Mercedes S63 AMG.

Amazes me that anyone would prefer a Camry over a S63 AMG.
[ Edited by 80sbaby24 on Jun 2, 2012 at 1:49 PM ]
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:

Only a Camry homer...i mean owner would say such a thing.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jun 2, 2012 at 1:48 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Only a Camry homer...i mean owner would say such a thing.

Quite a few Camry owners on WZ.

LOL...well doesn't Harbaugh drive a beater truck?

Nothin wrong with the Camry. Cheaper to maintain...goes forever...fraction of the maintenance costs. Won't win you car shows or races but gets you from point A to point B. And it's reasonably affordable.

It really is the Alex Smith mobile lol.

Originally posted by candlestick49er:
Like I said, Alex signed a contract that allows him to be cut without significant damage to the cap. Lets assume Peyton was willing to sign a low-risk/high-reward incentive-based deal since he's coming back from a very serious injury, missed a year, and has a chance to play for a SB contender. That creates a situation where we could have both players on the roster (for training camp/pre-season at least). You're probably thinking there's no chance Peyton would ever consider signing that type of deal...well, that's why you check him out and see if its an option. Was the situation of having both QBs on the team unlikely? Absolutely it was very unlikely, but you can't rule it out 100% unless you evaluate the situation and see for yourself (which is what Harbaugh & Baalke did).

As for Alex checking out Miami, he was just looking out for himself like any free agent would do. He originally assumed that he was gonna re-sign with the Niners and return to the team as the unchallenged starting QB. Now with Manning possibly coming in, he would obviously have to compete as the underdog to keep his job. Why settle for that situation without checking out other possibilities first? As I said earlier, Smith's offer was still on the table throughout the Manning evaluation. Whatever Smith was doing doesn't change the fact that the Niners intended to bring him back. Remember, he had the option of taking the offer at any point during the process (even before Manning made his decision).

BTW, my intelligence isn't below a 3rd grader.

I apologize for the insult.

I wasn't trying to single you out I'm just stating how obvious is it that Peyton Manning and Alex Smith would have never agreed to play with each other. Harbaugh and Balke aren't dumb they know how the league works and that it's 1 or the other. They know that flirting with Peyton is enough for Alex to start looking elsewhere.

There never was a scenario were we could have both.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jun 2, 2012 at 3:10 PM ]

LOL...well doesn't Harbaugh drive a beater truck?

Nothin wrong with the Camry. Cheaper to maintain...goes forever...fraction of the maintenance costs. Won't win you car shows or races but gets you from point A to point B. And it's reasonably affordable.

It really is the Alex Smith mobile lol.

But some would argued that the Camry in question takes 7 seven years to get from A to B. It has a hard time squeezing into tight spots. Won't pass the 4,000 rpm
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jun 2, 2012 at 2:58 PM ]
Good comments all around, and nice job candlestick. But here's one I wrote about 5 days ago and nobody has commented on. If Harbaugh and Baalke DID NOT look into the possibility of Peyton coming here, they would both have been derilect in their duties. Their job is to put the best team on the field and to win SBs. Well, last yr they came scary close. So when peyton called Coach H and requested a visit, it was to exchange information. For Peyton, how much $$ and how much control. For B& H, virtually the same in reverse: how many $$ and how much control....AND, how healthy.

After initial talks it was apparent the dance cards didn't match up, and Peyton moved on, and essentially B&H did the same...except they didn't broadcast it. Shortly after Peyton's announcement, alex signed the contract that had been on the table the entire time.

One other thing. When you have COY in a first yr in the NFL coach, and you also have the GM of the yr on the same team, I firmly believe after Peyton realized he wouldn't have control, and the $$ would have financially ruined the D and stretched the O,( both of which are primed for a series of SB runs),
I believe Peyton asked B& H who they thot he was the best fit for. I don't think peyton came all the way over here just to hear Coach tell him no on control and Baalke tell him no on $$, I truly believe Peyton respected what both men have done, and wanted an opinion from a respected third party as to where he should end up. And my bet is they told him, " go to where the air is thin"

So those that thot badly of our two guys, I think you are mistaken. They HAD TO investigate Peyton, and needed to know if he would take $8Mil per for 3 yrs, and would Peyton have complete control? When the answer was no and no, that basically ended it. The medical exam had been done by that time.

Those finding fault with Harbaugh and Baalke just doing their jobs, are not giving them the credit they deserved. Had Peyton not called, I don't believe they would have called him. Once he showed interest, the die was cast, and what happened was Coach and GM looking into what was best for the team. I don't think they had any choice. In the end, they did what was best for our team, and I fully agree with the entire series of events. As for Coach and the media, why would he want to tell them what was going on. They don't deserve to know his and baalke's tactics...and neither do we. If you don't believe it, look at our two last drafts. Those guys did the right thing and went their own way. Webzone and fans don't run this team...but we all know who does.
A.S. was feeling low misspoke, caught some heat, J.H. took a bullet for him, lied to make him feel better. ( short version ) my take on it, ...don't like it? too bad
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Disagree and believe your timing is incorrect. He did not visit Miami right away, but after the Manning thing seemed to stall. He did not run back to SF after Manning signed with Denver, but before Manning signed.

Also--"we" did not work Manning out, he worked out and invited the 9ers to watch...on the E Coast, not at the 9er headquarters. And the 9ers did not deny interest because they did not need to do so. They also did not deny interest in Brady, Rodgers or Brees. Why did Mannining visit the other players but not SF?

If the offer was on the table they would have likely made it conditional upon offering Manning a deal...if they did not want to sign both.

Personally, I believe they were interested in Manning but under very strict guidelines that would have likely been rejected by PM. Harbaugh would not have given PM carte blanche over the offense and Baalke would have structured a contract with outs in case of injury, etc. They are not going to blow up the team for a QB recovering from several neck surgeries, Hall of Fame talent or not.

I agree with you about 1 thing. We were interested in Peyton Manning, but he would have to give us concessions as well. We weren't Denver or Tennessee and weren't going to jump thru hoops for him.

It's reported that Manning liked that we kept everything under the table. The circus wasn't needed and we didn't need to fly him out to our hq. If we had no interest in Manning we wouldn't have accepted his request and flew our doctors out to look at him would we? New Orleans is having a difficult time signing Brees but last I checked they weren't flirting with Manning. You are aware that us talking to Rodgers or Brady would be tampering, correct? Horrible analogy. We deny having interest in guys all of the time, and when your qb bolts off to Miami then yeah a denial would probally be beneficial.

Alex Smith left Frisco shortly after the Manning rumors surfassed and came back after Manning picked Denver. Prove otherwise.

Here's how I see it. We offered Alex a mininum starting qb contract. (3 years 24 mil) That's Matt Flynn money right there. While he was busy seeing if he can't get a better offer we were busy seeing if we could get a better qb. In the end both sides probally knew they were right for each other the whole time.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jun 2, 2012 at 3:15 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone