LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 285 users in the forums

Is David Akers the best kicker we ever had?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is David Akers the best kicker we ever had?

Originally posted by qnnhan7:
It's good that Harbaugh get this Manning thing out of the way to bed. More focus on a SB run for his guys. Talk about it all they want but come Sept. --- Niners start kicking a** for a SB run!

Harbaugh was ill advised to try and say they did not flirt with Manning. Harbaugh had to have meetings with Alex Smith when Peyton chose not to recipricate back with the Ninerrs. The Niners flew several folks across the country to watch his work out. They where one of the last minute cinderalla stories to land him. We all love it!! Do not deny it, they tried to sign a pro bowl qb when their present starting qb was a FA. Nothing more nothing less.
Originally posted by 9erred:
It's good that Harbaugh get this Manning thing out of the way to bed. More focus on a SB run for his guys. Talk about it all they want but come Sept. --- Niners start kicking a** for a SB run!

Harbaugh was ill advised to try and say they did not flirt with Manning. Harbaugh had to have meetings with Alex Smith when Peyton chose not to recipricate back with the Ninerrs. The Niners flew several folks across the country to watch his work out. They where one of the last minute cinderalla stories to land him. We all love it!! Do not deny it, they tried to sign a pro bowl qb when their present starting qb was a FA. Nothing more nothing less.

There are a lot of speculation in this thread, including ones made by myself. But to say Peyton spurned the Niners then the FO sent someone -- I guess you are referring to the Harbaugh and Roman hoodies incident-- to chase after him is going a little far from what was reported/speculated.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jun 1, 2012 at 11:35 AM ]
Is it time for this yet?

Or is it still too soon?
Originally posted by 9erred:

There are a lot of speculation in this thread, including ones made by myself. But to say Peyton spurned the Niners then the FO sent someone -- I guess you are referring to the Harbaugh and Roman hoodies incident-- to chase after him is going a little far from what was reported/speculated.

from the Bleacher report, the niners where so impressed with the workout they sent the team physician across the country to check out Peyton. Yeah, speculation,
"The Peyton Manning sweepstakes hit a new high when it was reported late last week that the San Francisco 49ers held a secret and private workout with the four-time NFL Most Valuable Player.

The meeting was so successful that the 49ers sent over their team doctor to give Manning a physical exam as well.

Now that all the cards have been laid out on the table, and both the Miami Dolphins and Arizona Cardinals are no longer in the running, it appears Peyton Manning has narrowed his choices down to the 49ers, the Tennessee Titans and the Denver Broncos.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Gotta give props to MM to calling it like he sees it. He basically callled Harbaugh a liar today on knbr.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Is it time for this yet?

Or is it still too soon?

Maybe he is telling the truth.... Maybe we offered him the league minimum
The simple fact that Manning never came to Santa Clara to tour the facility is most telling. If they were serious, Manning would have spent the same amount of time as he did at the other teams but he didn't even visit. A discouraging sign if you really wanted the guy. And it's just as well… Personally, I'm glad the 49ers didn't sign him. He's a Hall-of-Famer no doubt but is he worth the money, is he worth the risk? I could be wrong but I think that's a desperate man's bet.
Originally posted by susweel:
Gotta give props to MM to calling it like he sees it. He basically callled Harbaugh a liar today on knbr.

We all know MM is a Niner hater...
If we weren't pursuing Manning we would have stated we weren't pursuing Manning when this was all going down.

I think it's debateable just how interested we were. We could have been saying hey Peyton if you're willing to give us a championship contender discount we're happy to have you, but it's clear as day we that we were pursuing him.

We weren't doing Condom a favor. Manning already had 2 teams bidding on each other so he didn't need us. He also flat out rejected 2 other teams from the start.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jun 1, 2012 at 6:32 PM ]

I don't blame Harbaugh for lieing though and that's exactly what he's doing. When you have guys from other teams calling Alex out and saying you're *** almost got cut after a 13-3 year then might as well lie about the situation to downplay whatever interest we had in Manning.
It was reported early on that the number was less. Just google it next time. 2 seconds

LINK

More like wishful thinking by ONE Denver reporter....not exactly "many people".
Originally posted by WINiner:
It was reported early on that the number was less. Just google it next time. 2 seconds

LINK

More like wishful thinking by ONE Denver reporter....not exactly "many people".

It was more than that reporter. After being released by the Colts, Manning (or sources close to him) floated the idea that he'd play for a low base pay, with the rest being incentives. The blogosphere was full of talks of his base pay being in the low teens. That was why even the cap-challenged Cardinals tried to get into the early chase. There was no way the Cardinals could afford the first pay package that the Broncos, not to say anything about the numbers called for in the final contract.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Is it time for this yet?

Or is it still too soon?

Not soon enough.
It's obvious we went after Peyton Manning. No offense to Alex, but he can't even carry Peyton's jock strap. Peyton Manning is a HOF, and will go down as one of the greatest QB's ever. He can still make a couple Pro Bowl's. It would be a miracle if Alex Smith ever made a Pro Bowl. Harbaugh shouldn't have mentioned it or tried to pawn it off. He wanted Peyton, but didn't get him. Peyton did make a huge mistake not coming to play for us.

Either way this whole ordeal make us look foolish...
Share 49ersWebzone