LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

Our passing game will be much better if...

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Our passing game will be much better if...

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
More time in the system together.

This, basically.. but if forced to vote for one, it's the WR option. Need sharper routes from a recovering Edwards... need the others to catch what is thrown to them... Crabtree needs to keep practicing full speed with Alex to work out any remaining kinks.

We'll get there... and props to the OL protection for now doing its part.
Originally posted by 9erguy:
....we throw the ball.

Umm
Josh Morgan wouldn't of got hurt
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
I saw a couple plays this past Sunday where dudes were wide open down the field and alex threw the underneath route even though he had time.
Umm... How about if Alex Smith can get the ball to his receivers anywhere past 5yards. Plus it would be great if he can throw a few bombs a game. And how can the hell our receivers step up if we only throw the ball a few times a game? You guys are jerking yourselves if you think Alex is playing Montana'esque'
Chemistry is the only word needed here.

- Crabs keeps missing preseasons
- Bray is still new and missed a few weeks
- I think there is a minute trust issue regarding Ginn's hands at times

Josh Morgan is the perfect indicator of this, he is Alex's most trusted WR (though it's clear the TE's are THE most trusted pass catchers), and if you look back, there are a ton of throws he's thrown to Josh that are easy completions, and those same throws to the other guys are either drops/misses, or the receiver has to adjust to make the catch more often than just easy completions, as I said, this screams chemistry. Luckily this is one of those things that can only improve moving forward, and it has each week.
[ Edited by MaliCali on Nov 16, 2011 at 9:59 AM ]
Originally posted by jreff22:
not going to happen, I doubt he leaves Philly

why u say that? he is in the doghouse...
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:

I'll agree that he won't be in Philly next year, it's pretty obvious in fact. I would be pretty darn surprised if we brought him in considering Harbaugh/Roman's adherence to quality blocking on the edges, and DeSean is not, has never been, and even if he tried likely won't be, that.

However, that tiny chance that would make it less surprising if we did go after him, would be if we allowed Ginn to walk. But would DeSean want to come into an offense where he isn't playing X or Y consistently? Would the front office want to pay the money he'll demand for a guy who'd best suit the slot position in our offense, when we play a lot of 2 tight and I-back sets? Would they pay that money for a punt returner when keeping the fully capable return man Ginn who also while not stellar, is a better blocker, for less money? I tend to not think so.
Originally posted by MaliCali:
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:

I'll agree that he won't be in Philly next year, it's pretty obvious in fact. I would be pretty darn surprised if we brought him in considering Harbaugh/Roman's adherence to quality blocking on the edges, and DeSean is not, has never been, and even if he tried likely won't be, that.

However, that tiny chance that would make it less surprising if we did go after him, would be if we allowed Ginn to walk. But would DeSean want to come into an offense where he isn't playing X or Y consistently? Would the front office want to pay the money he'll demand for a guy who'd best suit the slot position in our offense, when we play a lot of 2 tight and I-back sets? Would they pay that money for a punt returner when keeping the fully capable return man Ginn who also while not stellar, is a better blocker, for less money? I tend to not think so.

I'm still waiting for Kyle Williams to be used more. Did you see him on that catch and YAC. He was easily separating from the pursuing defender. He also has kick-return speed so we can use him to stretch the field at WR.

I think Harbaugh will use Williams more and more along with Hunter if we begin to dominate our "easier" last half schedule and clinch some playoff positioning.
Originally posted by Redgoldknight:
Umm... How about if Alex Smith can get the ball to his receivers anywhere past 5yards. Plus it would be great if he can throw a few bombs a game. And how can the hell our receivers step up if we only throw the ball a few times a game? You guys are jerking yourselves if you think Alex is playing Montana'esque'

He's top 10 in ypa

Also this is the WCO we don't throw bombs go watch the digit offense if you want that

Alex has only thrown 8 less 20+ yard passes than Aaron Rodgers another WCO qb and we don't have the WR GB does and this is the first year of WCO where Rodgers is in his 6th year

In brett Favre first year in WCO he only had 19 TD and averaged 218 yards a game after getting 32 TD and averaging 260 yards a ga
E

Statistically Alex is having one of the best years as a first year WCO and he didn't even have an offseason

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

He's top 10 in ypa

Also this is the WCO we don't throw bombs go watch the digit offense if you want that

Alex has only thrown 8 less 20+ yard passes than Aaron Rodgers another WCO qb and we don't have the WR GB does and this is the first year of WCO where Rodgers is in his 6th year

In brett Favre first year in WCO he only had 19 TD and averaged 218 yards a game after getting 32 TD and averaging 260 yards a ga
E

Statistically Alex is having one of the best years as a first year WCO and he didn't even have an offseason

Yes. But redgold doesn't understand that.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
He's top 10 in ypa

E

You said Brett Favre was in his first year. Alex Smith is in his 7th! Joe Montana, Steve Young, Aaronn rodgers. WC Qb's who launch the ball deep and connect on those play's. If you are going to argue with me on that. Obviously you have ythe eyes of Ray Charles. Steve Young even said it last week, "let's through the ball deep like we use to back when I played". Um No, we are not a digit system through it deep every play. The west coast offense is based off a short passing attack. But the equivlent of taking 5 major attempts deep down field. Hello! Jerry Rice, T.O. endless highlights and 50yard bomb pass plays. If you disagree with me on this. Well I got know choice but to find a good eye surgeon for you down here in L.A.
Originally posted by gamechanger:
Because Alex is improving without a lot of help from the WRs. The Oline has been doing their part, HBs and TEs have been too. The only ones that haven't really made game changing plays have been the WRs.

I agree. Every aspect of our offense has improved from last year to this year and even over the course of this season with the exception of the receivers. Alex has not been perfect on every throw, but he has done enough to where the receivers should have 1-2 big plays per game. Stil waiting for improvement from our receivers.
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Both but a little more for Alex improving I think. There have been open WR like last week Crabs was open on opening drive and last couple of games crabs was open deep and Alex just couldn't find him. Both need to keep practicing hard and find ways to get the ball to our best weapon VD.

5 yards, huh? You apparently didn't watch the game against the Giants.
Also, Montana didn't throw many "bombs"... most of his long completions were YAC
Share 49ersWebzone