There are 147 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Magic number 3 and 5

Those are the numbers that we need to clinch division and first round bye and homefield for at least one playoff game. Go niners
This is going to be a tough decision and future hot topic.

Once we have officially clinch the West. Do we start resting players? Or do we keep fighting for the #1 seed.

I think having home-field throughout the playoffs will be CRUCIAL, compared to traveling to Lambeau.
Keep playing one game at a time. We need all of our games as our players are always learning, always getting better and always hungry for more. Now if we were a great veteran team that is playoff bound year in, year out...then I'd be open to playing vanilla and waiting for the playoffs.

But for now, we'll allow those other teams to play like Freddy P Soft
Originally posted by verb1der:

Once we have officially clinch the West. Do we start resting players? Or do we keep fighting for the #1 seed.

I think having home-field throughout the playoffs will be CRUCIAL, compared to traveling to Lambeau.

I'd split carries 50-50 between Gore and Hunter/Dixon.

I'd work Boone & Rachal in on the o-line in the 3rd & 4th quarters.

I'd throw Kap in the game in the 3rd & 4th quarters of NFC West blowouts... maybe not even blowouts. Maybe 14 pt leads.

I'd get Shawntae Spencer back on the field ASAP.

I'd let Larry Grant and whomever else get some reps in place of Bowman & Willis.

And I'd let Madieu gets some reps in place of Goldson (he does back up Goldson, right?).
[ Edited by NickSh49 on Nov 14, 2011 at 3:20 PM ]
Originally posted by NickSh49:

I'd throw Kap in the game in the 3rd & 4th quarters of NFC West blowouts... maybe not even blowouts. Maybe 14 pt leads.

I'd let Larry Grant and whomever else get some reps in place of Bowman & Willis.

And I'd let Madieu gets some reps in place of Goldson (he does back up Goldson, right?).

In garbage time yes, I agree with the substitutions. But even at this very moment, the 49ers are in the race with the Packers for the #1 seed. It's going to be hard to jeopardize that spot!
Some expert was saying on the radio yesterday that he believed it would benefit the niners to go into green bay in December, in the possible snow, since the niners are meant to play in all types of weather. Green Bay, however, was built to play in pristine conditions.

In garbage time yes, I agree with the substitutions. But even at this very moment, the 49ers are in the race with the Packers for the #1 seed. It's going to be hard to jeopardize that spot!

Absolutely in garbage time. We only have two games out of the division left.

That's a lot of garbage time.
i think the 49ers will be playing for #1 seed late into december with the packers so no rest for the weary

Lol

lol, man I don't know, NFC West to me is capable..because the Rams whooped on the Saints, the Seahawks beat the Giants AND the Ravens, and the Cardinals....yeah...see.
Kap 3rd quarter, Tolzien 4th quarter. Like preseason.
if the packers lose a game then we go for home field advantage throughout playoffs, if they don't lose then just go for 2nd seed...

I disagree to an extent. I think home-field is generally helpful. However, if you had to ask where the Packers' air attack will be most hampered, it's going to be most naturally hampered in the frigid cold of Green Bay. I think that if they come to our house instead, their offense is less handicapped by the elements. We've shown we can win on the road, and we're a team that is outright built to win in January/February when conditions deteriorate. On the whole, there's still a compelling argument that home-field is worth it despite the above, but I won't think all is lost if we're the #2 seed.
Originally posted by kelson49er:

I disagree to an extent. I think home-field is generally helpful. However, if you had to ask where the Packers' air attack will be most hampered, it's going to be most naturally hampered in the frigid cold of Green Bay. I think that if they come to our house instead, their offense is less handicapped by the elements. We've shown we can win on the road, and we're a team that is outright built to win in January/February when conditions deteriorate. On the whole, there's still a compelling argument that home-field is worth it despite the above, but I won't think all is lost if we're the #2 seed.

We're probably getting ahead of ourselves here but I just can't help talk about the possibilities!

But the only way I see the elements hampering the Packers is if it's like blizzard snowing. If it's just frigid cold, I don't see the Packers air attack being hampered at all. But you're right Niners do travel well, and our offense is extremely rugged so conditions wouldn't matter too much. I'll be stoked with the #2 seed!

It's a little weird, but playing in Lambeau in January might be to our advantage. If it's snowing, windy, ect., the game might turn into a defensive run battle. We can beat GB in that type of game. I'm not saying we shouldn't go for the number one seed, it's just an interesting perspective.