1) Justin Smith/Patrick WIllis: Wow. Justin just never gives up. Love the effort. Also love the fact that Willis held the TE behind him without actually holding him. He put his helmet on the side that the TE was trying to run to but NEVER used his hands. Even if Justin doesn't jump...there is nothing there. Willis made SEVERAL game-changing stops in that game. That stop of Manning on third down was fantastic.
2) Rogers: Up and down game but made the plays when they needed to be made. He also isn't dropping those pics like he did in Washington. Extend this guy as soon as possible.
3) Hunter: I think we are about to see a healthy dose of Kendall Hunter in the next few weeks and the reset of the season. I'd love to see Gore put on a show, but we don't need him to carry the ball 20 times now. We need to to be healthy when it matters. Its also a great time to get Kendall (and Dixon for that matter) some great experience...particularly in pass protection.
4) Edwards: I'm kinda concerned about him. Its not that I don't think he's a good player, he just isn't moving very well out there. Its could very well be an issue with his knee, but at times it just looks like he's kinda spinning his wheels. Hopefully that will get better as the season progresses.
5) Crabtree: Another game, another OHHHHHH....so close...... I still see a big game coming for him. Then again. I've been saying that all year...but I just STILL see it coming.
6) Akers: Pro Bowl. Book it.
7) Manning: I know he's not a Niner, but that guy is good. I buy the elite talk now. That TD to Nicks was incredible. Brown never had a chance. He was in perfect position and still couldn't get there.
8) O-Line: Really played well the entire game. Smith was sacked twice, but he really wasn't pressured too much. He had time through most of the game. I was mostly impressed with Staley and Davis who held their own. The one sack on Staley had more to do with Alex stepping right into the defender.
9) Whitner: He can be a liability agqainst the pass...we kinda already knew that. He's not very good covering tall TEs, but he played very well yesterday. He was hitting people all over the field. That also should have been a fumble on the first drive. Its all well and good to say the recievers forward motion stopped....but I watched that thing 6 times and I never once heard a whistle blow.
10) Alex/Gameplan: I love it. Manage this! No, he didn't set the scoreboard on fire, but his lack of huge numbers was NOT because he was shut down. It was because the Giants were moving the ball and killing the clock. Alex didn't get the ball for the second time until there was 5 min left in the second quarter. The pick was not his fault and stopped a drive around the 20. He almost had another TD to Crabtree or Edwards. He played even better than the number indicate. He was hitting guys all day.
I LOVED the game plan. 49ers=running team. Giants=bad against run. The obvious choice is to run the ball. Problem is, Giants know they are bad and also know that Niners are good. The Niners were smart enough to know that this great D-Line wouldn't pin their ears back and go after Smith because they were expecting run. What do you do? You pass. WELL. I love it.