There are 176 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers Pass D is better than most think

Through the first 8 games the 49ers are ranked 22th in Pass Defense (yards per game)

HOWEVER, these stats are a better indicator of how good we are against the pass:

59.3% Comp Pct is ranked 12th
6.7 yards/att is ranked 9th
78.0 QB Rating is ranked 6th
10 INT is ranked 7th
324 Passing Attempts is 4th most in the league

Conclusion: Teams choose to air it out against us....A LOT. Teams can't move the ball by running on us, so they have to throw it 40+ times a game. I'm sure this isn't news to most of you, but to see it from a statistical standpoint is interesting. We are top 10 in most pass defense categories, which is a much more accurate assessment than pure yardage totals.
we alllow to many deep balls

other than that were good
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

I'd agree with that
Passing D is D for Dope

we'd be having a MUCH different conversation if that pass to manningham was 3 inches shorter.

honeslty in the 4th quarter, we COULD NOT LET BALLS GO OVER THE TOP and we did. repeatedly. not good. DB is at the top of my list of NEEDS for this team this offseason.
Our weakness on the Passing D is our secondary. They sometimes let the big play go. We used to have a horrible pass rush on top of it... This is part of the reason that we still have a rep for a bad passing D.

Now we have a very good pass rush and an average to decent secondary. It's still our weakness...but the good news is that as we bend and allow yards on the field, the field shortens and takes away our weakness...which is why we give up a lot of 3s and not so many 7s. I don't know what the stat is, but I'd bet more than half of the TDs we've given up have come from outside the redzone.
I would like to see Spencer replace Brown please.
Originally posted by 9erHIGH:

we'd be having a MUCH different conversation if that pass to manningham was 3 inches shorter.

honeslty in the 4th quarter, we COULD NOT LET BALLS GO OVER THE TOP and we did. repeatedly. not good. DB is at the top of my list of NEEDS for this team this offseason.

THIS.

DB
WR
I disagree with the deep ball. I only remember 2 maybe 3 deep balls that Giants receiver was open none was connected. A lot of Giants passing was about 10-15 yards with run after the catch. There were some that went for 20+ with YAC. Did they have a 25-30 yards pass....I don't think so.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 13, 2011 at 9:02 PM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I disagree with the deep ball. I only remember 2 maybe 3 deep balls that Giants receiver was open none was connected. A lot of Giants passing was about 10-15 yards with run after the catch. There were some that went for 20+ with YAC.

It's not just the "deep ball" it's missing assignments or tackles and allowing yac. But we're doing so so so much better.
our pass d is better, but tarrel brown still sucks donkey balls. I want to know what the deal with spencer is, I'm sure he has to be better than Brown.
[ Edited by unst4bl3 on Nov 13, 2011 at 9:05 PM ]
niners passing d is a lot better without brown out there and let spencer back in (we all know he's healthy). brown can't cover sh!t. he's not good at both man cover and zone cover. i wonder what is going on between fangio and spencer?
Pass rush has been subpar in the last two games.
O______O

Really?.... I think our Secondary is the weakest part of our team.
Did you watch the same game I did today?
Yeah, but compared to last yr, Culliver is a find, Carlos is playing great, TBrown is +/- , Whitner is usually right around the ball, and Bowman and p52 are both well above average in pass D.Shawntee...umm, I'm not sure if he would be a step up or down. But the thot that our pass rush is so much better is the key to all this.

Remember, if a Qb, like Eli goes out there and throws a perfect game, the best D in the world will lose. Fortunately, there were a bunch of flat out drops, even by Manningham who had two TDs and caught a bunch of other balls.

But Alex at 19/30 was 63% against the #1 NFC East leader. Face it. Alex beat Eli. Our STs won, our D won(but just barely ,due to passing game), and our O won
barely. Just as important, Coach Harbaugh outcoached coughlin. Who would have takent that bet? Incredible.