LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 223 users in the forums

Lockup Bowman before he hits free agency

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Hey AB, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a player have to have played 3 years to get an extension?
Originally posted by mtminer:
Hey AB, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a player have to have played 3 years to get an extension?

Thats with the new CBA for draftees from 2011 and on. The players drafted can't be extended or demand an extension until end of season 3, also first rounders need there options for a 5th yr picked up after end of 3rd yr, or before end of 3rd yr. So Aldon Smith will need to be made by end of 2013 season on whether we will extend his deal to 2015, and he will be paid top 10 money as a OLB. Where Jenkins would be top 25, I believe, at WR and would be needed to extend by end of 2014 season.

Under old CBA rules, where there was no Rookie Scale wage system, any player could hold out or be extended before rookie deal was up, so say a player drafted 2010 and before wanted a extension after year 2, he could get it, so Bowman is eligible for an extension at any point. But players drafted in 2011, like Culliver, who might get an extension after 2013 or when contract is up after 2014, plus this years class would be eligible after 2014 for an extension.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by mtminer:

Thats with the new CBA for draftees from 2011 and on. The players drafted can't be extended or demand an extension until end of season 3, also first rounders need there options for a 5th yr picked up after end of 3rd yr, or before end of 3rd yr. So Aldon Smith will need to be made by end of 2013 season on whether we will extend his deal to 2015, and he will be paid top 10 money as a OLB. Where Jenkins would be top 25, I believe, at WR and would be needed to extend by end of 2014 season.

Under old CBA rules, where there was no Rookie Scale wage system, any player could hold out or be extended before rookie deal was up, so say a player drafted 2010 and before wanted a extension after year 2, he could get it, so Bowman is eligible for an extension at any point. But players drafted in 2011, like Culliver, who might get an extension after 2013 or when contract is up after 2014, plus this years class would be eligible after 2014 for an extension.

You da man
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Originally posted by mayo49:
He's a monster next to Willis. We need to lock him up before he hits free agency and becomes too expensive.

he is in his second year of what i believe is a four year contract. There's time.
And we need to lock up people like Rodgers!
Actually, he is in the final year of his contract.
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Originally posted by mayo49:
He's a monster next to Willis. We need to lock him up before he hits free agency and becomes too expensive.

he is in his second year of what i believe is a four year contract. There's time.
And we need to lock up people like Rodgers!
Actually, he is in the final year of his contract.

Bowman? He is signed through 2013 season. Signed a 4yr deal in 2010 when drafted. He has a few years left till we need to worry about him.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Thanks guys, It shouldn't hard to get these guys extended, we have a few long term deals on the books, but Willis' bonus money will be gone after 2012, so that frees up over 12M in cap space over the next 4 seasons after 2012. Of course Bowman is signed through 2013, and can be franchised if need be, but I'm sure we extend him after 2012.

I think Whitner could be a 3 or 4 yr deal, depended on how the brass feels about him. I also agree Akers and J.Smith should be easy, both love being here, and are vital members of this team.

It really feels good we are in good cap shape, and have a bright future ahead of us.

Great info. I noticed Willis has had some high cap numbers since his new deal kicked in and I think a large portion of his contract will have be accounted for after this season, so we should be able to wait until after next season to extend Bowman. The cap friendly deals that we have had for our star players (front loading these contracts) puts us in a great position to extend the big name players drafted in 2010 and 2011 in a few years. I'm more concerned about getting Goldson getting a deal done and although negotiations didn't go so well before, I think we get him locked up longterm the second time around.
Only way I see us getting him signed for less than Willis is if he falls of a cliff, gets hurt or we sign him way before his contract is up.
There isn't too much motivation for his Agent or for Bowman to sign long term right now. There is a reason Manningham singed for 2 years. After the 2013 season the new TV deals kick in and the team cap room is going to explode. Its at around $120M, it might be at $180M.

With that much money, the Niners will tag bowman after the 2013 year and hopefully sign him longterm than
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Pay the man now~!
Originally posted by Chief:
Pay the man now~!

Why?

7/30/2010: Signed a four-year, $2.492 million contract. The deal included a $702,248 signing bonus. 2012: $490,000, 2013: $575,000, 2014: Free Agent

So he is under contract for this season and next season. If he is willing to re sign and extend and give a discount for getting up front bonus money, then do it. Otherwise he can wait two more years.

Since he's signed through this upcoming year and year 2013, let's see if he can follow up last year's All-Pro season with another great season this year. If so, I could see the front office trying to lock him up long term before his final season under contract. I've heard a few say they don't know how the team can pay both Willis and Bowman...it's even been suggested that Bowman might command more money than Willis, which is absolutely ludicrous. That isn't realistic as everyone who knows football knows Willis is probably the best ILB in the game today - nobody will or should command more money than him. Should Bowman keep playing at a high level, the team will do what it needs to do and I can easily see him and Willis as the team's ILB duo for many years to come.
Originally posted by cashmahne:
There isn't too much motivation for his Agent or for Bowman to sign long term right now. There is a reason Manningham singed for 2 years. After the 2013 season the new TV deals kick in and the team cap room is going to explode. Its at around $120M, it might be at $180M.

With that much money, the Niners will tag bowman after the 2013 year and hopefully sign him longterm than

the cap isnt going to explode. http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/56518/clayton-flat-cap-through-at-least-2015
Some really good ideas in this post and thanks AB for the facts.

It would be great to get him locked in.

On thing for sure, our FO is right on top of it. They won't over pay and plan ahead very well. I'm totally conffident.
I'm sure the FO will offer him a contract. It's up to Bowman though. I think he would like to test the FA market. Not sure that he will do the Ahmad Brooks thing and just go with the contract offered. Playing along side Patrick Willis is an enticing situation for Bowman
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I'm sure the FO will offer him a contract. It's up to Bowman though. I think he would like to test the FA market. Not sure that he will do the Ahmad Brooks thing and just go with the contract offered. Playing along side Patrick Willis is an enticing situation for Bowman

I don't think it is an enticing as you think. If he plays next to willis he will always be 2nd fiddle and may never get the respect he deserves. Just look at his phone conversation during top 100 on nfl net.
Share 49ersWebzone