There are 149 users in the forums

Mid season poll, what position is the weakness of the team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Mid season poll, what position is the weakness of the team?

Originally posted by bigmike55:
QB. Like many of you already mentioned, Alex is playing solid, but not at an Aaron Rodgers type level. He is not making stupid mistakes like he has in the past, but but is not playing at an elite QB level.

how many elite quaeterbacks are there and who are they
Interesting. Alex still hasn't won over the vast majority of his detractors.

I'm not one of them. Not anymore. Not since I got stuck with my current screen name (January can't come fast enough).

I put down cornerbacks, but wide receivers are another problem. I think there's talent there. They just haven't really had the opportunity yet to work closely with Alex.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Currently working on this. Pretty good ways through the 2nd half, and count 3 so far... Gore wide open over the middle... two on VD, one short, one long.

Then I gotta catch back up on the Browns game... I iz slackin' ...

No problem! I haven't been thinking of this as the team is doing so well and three isn't bad for most of a game, so they are improving. Wonder what the league average is...time to google...
Originally posted by ady2glude707:
I voted for QB and I've also been a supporter of Alex in down years, putting blame on play calling, different OCs and avg WRs. Reason has already been mentioned that he is just an avg QB that is being coached to make smart simple plays. We've already seen how he plays when he is asked to do too much and make things happen. Look at what Brady has to work with and his less than elite WRs, look at what Rodgers does with his less than speedy WRs.

Who are the elite WRs in the case of Smith? V. Davis is fast, but his hands aren't as reliable as the elite WRs. Crabtree may be good, but still far from being one. Edwards will be an asset, but he has hardly played until last week.

The Packers WRs have very good hands, and it helps that Rodgers has played in that system for years.
I hate to say it but I think we still need a better LT...Staley still gives a crucial sack a game and we struggle running off left-tackle w/o a ton of TE's (Sopoaga too) over there. He is athletic and great in space down field but he may be the biggest liability on the OL right now. Davis is playing terrific and continues to play with madd passion and attitude. Iupati is a grinder but is suspect in pass blocking sometimes. Goodwin and Snyder may be playing the best right now. We're seeing more and more of Boone.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 7, 2011 at 3:53 PM ]
Originally posted by IWasWrongRubber:
Interesting. Alex still hasn't won over the vast majority of his detractors.

Not surprising really. I still know people who think Montana was over rated. He didn't throw for many yards, never led the NFL in...on and on. They give Walsh all the credit and it's hard to argue that he didn't deserve it, but Joe was/is my favorite 9er of all time and it amazes me when people don't agree!
  • obx49
  • Veteran
QB. The running game and the defense is definitely championship caliber. Our QB, however, is just average which is really a shame considering the talent we have at TE, WR, and RB.
Well the defense is an elite defense and arguably a top 5 defense in the league. If there is a weakness on defense it is CB opposite of Carlos Rogers.

However, I voted for WR. It is obvious that our offense is not on par with our defense, so it is easy to look at a position on the offense to improve. I still think that if we played a defense that shut down our run and forced us to throw, Alex could deliver. He has proved this in the Bengals, Eagles and Lions games.

Alex has played well, much better than anyone has imagined he would do. He is doing what this coaching staff is asking him to do. He is not asked to throw a lot, he is only averaging 26 pass plays per game. He has also completed 64% of his throws. This is good for 5th in the NFL.

I think that if our 49ers are going to be able to win in the playoffs, they need to be able to sustain drives and convert on 3rd downs. I think our defense will be able to keep pace with anyone.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
If a QB with a top 10 QB rating, elite TD-to-INT ratio and amazing wins record is our "weakness"... we're pretty f**king good.
WR at the moment

Alex Smith is the "Wes Welker" of quarterbacks, a good, efficient player who does all the right things when fit into the right system.
Originally posted by NCommand:
I hate to say it but I think we still need a better LT...

Had nightmares when imagining Staley trying to block James Harrison...

Wouldn't mind seeing Alex Boone on the field ALL game long as an extra OL spy for wherever Harrison lines up.
Who voted for coaching

Wouldn't mind seeing Alex Boone on the field ALL game long as an extra OL spy for wherever Harrison lines up.

That just plays into their hands.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

That just plays into their hands.

.. because...... ?
Share 49ersWebzone