LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 206 users in the forums

Mid season poll, what position is the weakness of the team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Mid season poll, what position is the weakness of the team?

None.

It's why we are 7-1 and came very close to being 8-0 in the Dallas game.

This team is very well rounded in all phases. I can't call out any area on what has been one of the most magical 49er seasons I have ever seen.

PRAISE THE SUN!
I really want to say our QB is the weak link, but that is only relative to how the rest of the team is playing. He is throwing some great passes and making plays. Gore, Davis, among others had drops against WAS, which is not good. Our WR is a close second.
Drops on key downs is still hurting...One that come to mind is Gores drop on Third down.
I am seriously disgusted by the amount of ignorance voting QB. Are you not watching games? Are you unaware that Alex has one of the bet deep ball accuracies in the league? Are you unaware of the amount of drops that are killing his hurrr durr yardage stats? The passing game is by clear margin more hindered by fault of receiver play than that of Alex's fault.

Haters just want reasons to hate I suppose. Good riddance to this Alex hate thread in disguise.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Having a hard time pointing a finger at one guy or one position. Looking at this to translate into draft targets as well. What position or player needs/should be replaced at the end of the year.

PLEASE DO NOT turn this into an Alex bashing thread!!

If you see it being a depth issue please elaborate.
As well as alex is doing this O is never going to grow with him under center. He right now is the perfect Deberg for whomever is going to take over the role of QB in the future.
Originally posted by MaliCali:
I am seriously disgusted by the amount of ignorance voting QB. Are you not watching games? Are you unaware that Alex has one of the bet deep ball accuracies in the league? Are you unaware of the amount of drops that are killing his hurrr durr yardage stats? The passing game is by clear margin more hindered by fault of receiver play than that of Alex's fault.

Haters just want reasons to hate I suppose. Good riddance to this Alex hate thread in disguise.

LOL... It's funny that all you choose to see is hate.

BTW: Most people that voted Alex and cared to comment about him gave Alex credit for how well he is doing... He's just not as good as the Top tier NFL QBs.

Yup people say they would take any top so and so qb over Alex. What if we had the receivers the packers have, or at least one guy like Megatron. They don't always get perfect balls thrown their way but are good enough to make a play, this is why we rarely see our players in top 10 highlights. none of them have made circus catches in traffic or taken it to the house after breaking some tackles.
Originally posted by D_Niner:

BTW: Most people that voted Alex and cared to comment about him gave Alex credit for how well he is doing... He's just not as good as the Top tier NFL QBs.

As i said, to deny it is slightly ignorant of the downplaying of the receivers.

And no, he isn't playing at an elite level...but let me ask this, how far from an "elite level" is he playing right now in comparison to how far off our receivers are playing at an equally "elite level"? Let's be objective here if we're really going to pick things apart.
[ Edited by MaliCali on Nov 7, 2011 at 9:35 AM ]
I did vote for the QB, but I dont want to hate on Alex. He has done what Jim Harbaugh has asked of him and we are winning games. There is no real reason to be upset, we could be doing much worse than him at the QB position. I have been an Alex hater most of the time he has been here, but I believe he deserves credit for doing a good enough job.

That being said, our defense is the biggest reason we are 7-1 so far. People are saying they are scared of our secondary not being able to hold a team if we are in a shoot out. I think it should be said we can't really rely on Alex if it ever turns into a shoot out.

Our defense and running game will take us as far as we can go this year...

I voted for QB and I've also been a supporter of Alex in down years, putting blame on play calling, different OCs and avg WRs. Reason has already been mentioned that he is just an avg QB that is being coached to make smart simple plays. We've already seen how he plays when he is asked to do too much and make things happen. Look at what Brady has to work with and his less than elite WRs, look at what Rodgers does with his less than speedy WRs.
[ Edited by ady2glude707 on Nov 7, 2011 at 10:13 AM ]

As i said, to deny it is slightly ignorant of the downplaying of the receivers.

And no, he isn't playing at an elite level...but let me ask this, how far from an "elite level" is he playing right now in comparison to how far off our receivers are playing at an equally "elite level"? Let's be objective here if we're really going to pick things apart.

Many of us like our weapons and think they could get better results with a better QB. I'm not convinced we can make the same statement for changing our receivers and keeping the same QB. It's as simple as that...

By coming in here and calling people haters, I think you may be too hung up on Alex to discuss this subject objectivly. I don't really care to argue the point because I'm not sure anything new can be said to make me (or you) change our points of view. The important thing is that were 7-1!

Go Niners!
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
I voted WR but actually think I should have voted QB. If we had a Brees or the like, we'd be sure shot superbowl candidates. With Smith, I think the best we can possibly hope for is to make it to the NFC championship and lose. It's a credit to him that I've come to think he can take us that far.
Many of us like our weapons and think they could get better results with a better QB. I'm not convinced we can make the same statement for changing our receivers and keeping the same QB. It's as simple as that...

By coming in here and calling people haters, I think you may be too hung up on Alex to discuss this subject objectivly. I don't really care to argue the point because I'm not sure anything new can be said to make me (or you) change our points of view. The important thing is that were 7-1!

Go Niners!

If I were getting hung up on Alex I'd be one of those delusional few who actually do consider his play elite to this point. Instead I look at the big picture and recognize he's at the bottom of the league I attempts, which brings total yards down, I recognize the many, many drops, bringing yards even more down, as well as bringing down his already great completion percentage, i recognize that hes also respectively up there in actual yards per completion. Looking inside these is ANYTHING but subjective, and in light of that who else is there to blame than those responsible for getting open and catching those passes. The fault is definitely not all on the receivers, but looking at both performances on the season, concluding that it is more to blame on our QBs play is as I've said, an ignorant standpoint.

But you're right, neither of us are gong to budge, so if we want to agree to disagree, I have no qualms with that.
Pass defense.
One weakness? Hmmm...

They're only playing teams that aren't a real challenge?

Seriously, I'd say it's T. Brown. He seems to be the one getting picked on most easily. Another would be the drops by our offense. (I'm looking at you Crabtree, Davis and GORE!... if I see Gore drop another easy one over the middle or out of the back field, I'm gonna punch my hand through my monitor!)

Share 49ersWebzone