There are 215 users in the forums

Mid season poll, what position is the weakness of the team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Mid season poll, what position is the weakness of the team?

I'm a fan of Alex, although, if you want to point out one weakness qb has to be it. Our defense is elite and our run game is awesome. Our passing attack is the spot where this team is lacking.... And I know it's not all on Alex but he is the qb.
  • BROWN
  • Veteran
Originally posted by angelv05:
Tarrell Brown.

This.
gonna have to say qb.....we're pretty damn solid everywhere else
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
We're a CB and a FS away from being a truly elite defense. That's our only weakness on defense. On offense, we lack a true no.1 WR (still hoping Crabtree will fill that role). I expect Alex Smith to take it up another level or two as he gets more and more comfortable with this offense and continues to get his timing right with Edwards and Crabtree.
The fanbase is our weakness. If we had a good one we'd be 8-0.
[ Edited by Jax49er on Nov 7, 2011 at 2:52 AM ]
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,700 for AKfanster.
The weak spot on this team is pass blocking combined with an avg QB and pass defense (other than Rogers)
Better hands on our WRs. Too many dropped balls. I know a lot of people love to blame everything on Alex, but it's not all his fault. Look at yesterday's game for example. Alex threw the rock beautifully about 40-50 yards to Vernon and he can't catch it, even though it hits him on the chest. That would have been a great gain. Would have added another 40-50 yards to how much Smith threw for and then puts us in position to score a TD (if he doesnt do it on that catch). It seems like Braylon is the only real sure handed one on the team now that Morgan is gone. And how ironic is that.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
That's tough... I would have said secondary but everyone is stepping up. WR as well but having Braylon back helps that as well. OL was the weak spot early on... maybe not any more.

Something like....
WR (just because Morgan is out... need a better 3/4)
CB (need Brock to replace Brown... need Spencer back)....
FS/SS (just in coverage at times),
OL (doing much better, still giving up sacks though)

Really, there is no glaring weak spot like in years past. We need to get better in certain spots but no spot on this team that is bringing us down. Will be fun to upgrade this offseason and can't wait to see who we all re-sign but we are winning with who we have.

Agree with most of these but think we definately need upgrades (playmakers) at WR and DB. Edwards, Crabtree and Morgan would be OK next year but they could really use a super fast guy...they have size and pretty good hands already.

Would not be surprised if Harbaugh went after a TE. VD and Walker are very talented but neither one is without flaws, nor is either the sure handed outlet that a QB needs at that position in the WCO.

Love to see a shut down CB, my first choice next draft, to go with Rogers. Spencer and Culliver are good but Rogers is a FA next year and this team needs to start stocking talent. Surprised at how deep they seem to be but we've seen the impact of losing a WR and DB on depth...but still winning? How awesome is that?

Edit: The OLine is jelling and I really don't see a huge need here. With Chilo, Boone, and Kilgore on the bench this is a young, good group getting better!

*A go to guy like Steve Smith would be nice to find!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Nov 7, 2011 at 6:48 AM ]
I could not pic one we have a solid team what other team could you say that about
Weakness if the secondary and forcing Willis/Bowman in coverage. Brown needs to be worked out of the starting CB spot for either Culliver/Spencer. Goldson need to be quicker in coverage and help more over-the-top. A passing team CAN beat us...on offense, dropped passes. Unbelievable how many balls these guys drop!

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Agree with most of these but think we definately need upgrades (playmakers) at WR and DB. Edwards, Crabtree and Morgan would be OK next year but they could really use a super fast guy...they have size and pretty good hands already.

Would not be surprised if Harbaugh went after a TE. VD and Walker are very talented but neither one is without flaws, nor is either the sure handed outlet that a QB needs at that position in the WCO.

Love to see a shut down CB, my first choice next draft, to go with Rogers. Spencer and Culliver are good but Rogers is a FA next year and this team needs to start stocking talent. Surprised at how deep they seem to be but we've seen the impact of losing a WR and DB on depth...but still winning? How awesome is that?

Edit: The OLine is jelling and I really don't see a huge need here. With Chilo, Boone, and Kilgore on the bench this is a young, good group getting better!

*A go to guy like Steve Smith would be nice to find!
Originally posted by jreff22:
Having a hard time pointing a finger at one guy or one position. Looking at this to translate into draft targets as well. What position or player needs/should be replaced at the end of the year.

PLEASE DO NOT turn this into an Alex bashing thread!!

If you see it being a depth issue please elaborate.

Honestly if you have to ask to protect a player from scrutiny then you already know "who/what" the weakness is on this team... With that said this is a VERY complete team. We finally have good (name brand) WR's, our Oline is good and still developing, Frnak Gore has carried this team and continues to do so on the O side of the ball, our TE's are top notch (I think D Walker could/would be a starter on most teams)...

On the D side,,, we have talent all over and a scheme that maximizes that talent. We could use a mega dominant NT (but couldn't every team running the 3-4), our LB's are set (but we should still draft one or two of them for depth and continuity), we could use another young/proven FA CB and a young playmaking safety could be considered in the near future... Oh and I'd keep an immediate look-out for a future replacement for Ted Ginn (returns are a dangerous business). QB is our handicap and glaring weakness - it's the ONLY position not playing at a championship level... Look I never even used "Its" name. We are just an "average playmaker" (at QB) away from being totally complete...

Dirty

Originally posted by NCommand:
Weakness if the secondary and forcing Willis/Bowman in coverage. Brown needs to be worked out of the starting CB spot for either Culliver/Spencer. Goldson need to be quicker in coverage and help more over-the-top. A passing team CAN beat us...on offense, dropped passes. Unbelievable how many balls these guys drop!

I think it might be more of Aldon Smith's weakness.
I would say that, in general, this team could be performing a little better in the passing game. Against the Redskins the 49ers used almost exclusively short range passes, yet the Redskins were still able to get pretty good pressure on Smith. That is, he didn't have a whole lot of time to throw the ball today.
Originally posted by sacniner:
I'm a fan of Alex, although, if you want to point out one weakness qb has to be it. Our defense is elite and our run game is awesome. Our passing attack is the spot where this team is lacking.... And I know it's not all on Alex but he is the qb.

I don't think QB is a weakness. Smith is doing what needs to be done to win games. He's averaging something like 24 passes per game. I believe Big Ben had 50 passes last week. The passing offense would look much better if A) the run game wasn't as good B) Harbaugh wanted to pass more.
Share 49ersWebzone