There are 57 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Do you think that Aldon Smith can be a 20 sack Guy.?

Do you think that Aldon Smith can be a 20 sack Guy.?

  • mike
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,827
It's actually a slim possibility, on one hand he's had huge games against pretty good o-lines and our division, which is the majority of our games left, has pretty much the saddest looking o-lines in the league.

On the other hand, rams give it to s.jackson often and aldon doesn't play on those downs, seattle also uses their runningbacks often. I'm sure he'll rip apart the cards though since we don't really even have to worry about beanie wells. I'm thinking it'll be more likely around the 14-15 sack area which is still amazing for a rookie who only plays on passing downs.
Originally posted by mike:
It's actually a slim possibility, on one hand he's had huge games against pretty good o-lines and our division, which is the majority of our games left, has pretty much the saddest looking o-lines in the league.

On the other hand, rams give it to s.jackson often and aldon doesn't play on those downs, seattle also uses their runningbacks often. I'm sure he'll rip apart the cards though since we don't really even have to worry about beanie wells. I'm thinking it'll be more likely around the 14-15 sack area which is still amazing for a rookie who only plays on passing downs.

That should be the question. Can he get to 14+ sacks this year? I think its more likely than not.
that would be nice
  • mike
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,827
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by mike:
It's actually a slim possibility, on one hand he's had huge games against pretty good o-lines and our division, which is the majority of our games left, has pretty much the saddest looking o-lines in the league.

On the other hand, rams give it to s.jackson often and aldon doesn't play on those downs, seattle also uses their runningbacks often. I'm sure he'll rip apart the cards though since we don't really even have to worry about beanie wells. I'm thinking it'll be more likely around the 14-15 sack area which is still amazing for a rookie who only plays on passing downs.

That should be the question. Can he get to 14+ sacks this year? I think its more likely than not.

Yeah you never know, he's had big games because we haven't had any teams that really have threatened us with the run. Closest thing to a threat was benson(65 yds I think) and aldon didn't register anything in that game.

Detroit was notoriously a pass first team and lost Best during the game, cleveland had hillis on the bench, tampa lost blount and once we got the lead tampa was playing catchup, and philly only gave mccoy 9 attempts as well. Skins probably won't get much out of their run game but Steven Jackson twice, ray rice, mendenhall, and maybe bradshaw as well...could hurt aldon's 2nd half sack totals because we'll continue to play parys in those situations.
[ Edited by mike on Nov 4, 2011 at 6:52 PM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Only 20? Skeptic!! Ban him!!! 500 sacks!!!!

For the record, it has only happened 7 times in the history of the NFL (and only one person under 26 has accomplished this feat), so......no

Rank Player (age), - HOFer, Bold - Active Sk Year Teams
1. Michael Strahan (30) 22.5 2001 NYG
2. Mark Gastineau (28) 22.0 1984 NYJ
3. Chris Doleman (28) 21.0 1989 MIN
Reggie White (26) 21.0 1987 PHI
5. Lawrence Taylor (27) 20.5 1986 NYG
6. Derrick Thomas (23) 20.0 1990 KAN
DeMarcus Ware (26) 20.0 2008 DAL

Shouldn't posters do a bit of research before asking questions like, "Will Frank Gore run for 2500 yards this year? or "Will Justin Smith make 200 tackes this seaon?"


Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Exactly, it has only happened 7 times, so no. It would be impossible for it to happen. It's like asking if, "the moon will ever breed unicorns?" Ridiculous!

7 times and there are at least 2 (maybe more I haven't looked to see whether Woodley/Babin have had byes, but if they aren't at the half way yet they are also on pace which would make 4 total on pace to hit 20 this year...) people this season alone on pace to do it again... why? Passing league.... more passing = more sacks. The league is also more talented than it's ever been so that helps too.

2500 rushing yards is hardly a good comparison, nor is will the moon ever breed unicorns. Anyway, it's not likely, but it's not such a ridiculous question either considering how ridiculously productive he's been on a per snap basis and his incredible physical ability.
[ Edited by Evilgenius on Nov 4, 2011 at 6:58 PM ]
  • kush
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,718
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Only 20? Skeptic!! Ban him!!! 500 sacks!!!!

For the record, it has only happened 7 times in the history of the NFL (and only one person under 26 has accomplished this feat), so......no

Rank Player (age), + - HOFer, Bold - Active Sk Year Teams
1. Michael Strahan (30) 22.5 2001 NYG
2. Mark Gastineau (28) 22.0 1984 NYJ
3. Chris Doleman (28) 21.0 1989 MIN
Reggie White+ (26) 21.0 1987 PHI
5. Lawrence Taylor+ (27) 20.5 1986 NYG
6. Derrick Thomas+ (23) 20.0 1990 KAN
DeMarcus Ware (26) 20.0 2008 DAL

Shouldn't posters do a bit of research before asking questions like, "Will Frank Gore run for 2500 yards this year? or "Will Justin Smith make 200 tackes this seaon?"

You want to talk about posters doing research? Why don't you research the trend of offense leaning heavily on the pass? The league is passing more and more every year and this is making more opportunities for sacks

Consider this: there have only been two 5,000 yard passers in the history of the NFL and this year alone there are two on pace for it with five others within striking range, one of them being a rookie. YPA hasn't shot up across, but pass attempts have. Consider further that from '82-'03 there were 44 QBs who passed for 4,000 yards.From 04-'10? 41. This year there are 10 players currently on pace to hit 4,000 yards with a handful of others very close.

This has everything to do with the league passing more. As a result, sacks are up.

Two guys are on pace for over 20 and there are two or three others who have a chance to get near 20, including our own Aldon Smith, who has 6.5 sacks in the past 4 games and has left PLENTY of sacks on the field (darn Mike Vick/ot's holding him b/c they are getting beat).

Do I think he will get to 20? Very likely no, but he's got enough of a shot to warrant conversation. It's not nearly as ridiculous to as the comps. you made to mock the OP.
I will go with NO. 20 sacks? Doubtful. I would take 15 sacks and be VERY happy.
he might get 20 sacks against the redskins alone
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
he might get 20 sacks against the redskins alone by half time

*fixed*
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Lets hope he gets one sack a game for the next 9 games and that would give him 15.5 sacks and a new rookie record. But at least the defense has to plan for him. So if Smith and Smith tie up a lot of blockers then Brooks/Bowman/Willis and MacDonald/RJF could get a lot of sacks. In either case I don't really care as long as we win.

This. Stats are meaningless, only thing that matters are W's. It would be better to have 3 guys at 10 sacks, harder for the O to figure out whom to block.
Originally posted by brizznasty:
these polls are getting ridiculous let the rookie get to 10 first k?

People are just excited and enjoying this cinderella season.
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
You want to talk about posters doing research? Why don't you research the trend of offense leaning heavily on the pass? The league is passing more and more every year and this is making more opportunities for sacks

Consider this: there have only been two 5,000 yard passers in the history of the NFL and this year alone there are two on pace for it with five others within striking range, one of them being a rookie. YPA hasn't shot up across, but pass attempts have. Consider further that from '82-'03 there were 44 QBs who passed for 4,000 yards.From 04-'10? 41. This year there are 10 players currently on pace to hit 4,000 yards with a handful of others very close.

This has everything to do with the league passing more. As a result, sacks are up.

Two guys are on pace for over 20 and there are two or three others who have a chance to get near 20, including our own Aldon Smith, who has 6.5 sacks in the past 4 games and has left PLENTY of sacks on the field (darn Mike Vick/ot's holding him b/c they are getting beat).

Do I think he will get to 20? Very likely no, but he's got enough of a shot to warrant conversation. It's not nearly as ridiculous to as the comps. you made to mock the OP.

Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Only 20? Skeptic!! Ban him!!! 500 sacks!!!!

For the record, it has only happened 7 times in the history of the NFL (and only one person under 26 has accomplished this feat), so......no

Rank Player (age), + - HOFer, Bold - Active Sk Year Teams
1. Michael Strahan (30) 22.5 2001 NYG
2. Mark Gastineau (28) 22.0 1984 NYJ
3. Chris Doleman (28) 21.0 1989 MIN
Reggie White+ (26) 21.0 1987 PHI
5. Lawrence Taylor+ (27) 20.5 1986 NYG
6. Derrick Thomas+ (23) 20.0 1990 KAN
DeMarcus Ware (26) 20.0 2008 DAL

Shouldn't posters do a bit of research before asking questions like, "Will Frank Gore run for 2500 yards this year? or "Will Justin Smith make 200 tackes this seaon?"

You want to talk about posters doing research? Why don't you research the trend of offense leaning heavily on the pass? The league is passing more and more every year and this is making more opportunities for sacks

Consider this: there have only been two 5,000 yard passers in the history of the NFL and this year alone there are two on pace for it with five others within striking range, one of them being a rookie. YPA hasn't shot up across, but pass attempts have. Consider further that from '82-'03 there were 44 QBs who passed for 4,000 yards.From 04-'10? 41. This year there are 10 players currently on pace to hit 4,000 yards with a handful of others very close.

This has everything to do with the league passing more. As a result, sacks are up.

Two guys are on pace for over 20 and there are two or three others who have a chance to get near 20, including our own Aldon Smith, who has 6.5 sacks in the past 4 games and has left PLENTY of sacks on the field (darn Mike Vick/ot's holding him b/c they are getting beat).

Do I think he will get to 20? Very likely no, but he's got enough of a shot to warrant conversation. It's not nearly as ridiculous to as the comps. you made to mock the OP.

what a homer! you must be a "fan"--whatever that is!
  • kush
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,718
Originally posted by HessianDud:
what a homer! you must be a "fan"--whatever that is!

Why, never in all my life! How dare you call me a fan...

What're you gonna' do next, call this place a "fan-forum"? Preposterous!
Needs to start