LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 208 users in the forums

Do you think that Aldon Smith can be a 20 sack Guy.?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do you think that Aldon Smith can be a 20 sack Guy.?

I would rather he have 10 sacks and a superbowl ring
We will see someday. For this year I think he can give us between 12 - 15 sacks which is remarkable. He's far better than I thought and I can't question it really anymore. A lot of people questioned the pick at first but I don't see why you would now.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Nov 4, 2011 at 10:20 PM ]
If in his rookie year, playing only on 3rd downs, he makes 6.5 sacks in 4 games, who knows what he can do.

Now he's likely to be double teamed a lot more as time goes by and people catch on to how good he is, but that means they can't double team both him and JUSTIN Smith, AND Ahmad Brooks. Which means Aldon, and this defense along with him, are going to bring some punishment.
12+ for the next 10 years would be nice
I'd like to correct my previous statements? Can Aldon Smith be a 20 sack guy? Sure. Can Alex Smith win 10 NFL MVP award? Sure. I guess anything is possible.

My beef with the thread is that the question should be more specific. Either go with "Will Aldon Smith, at some point in his career, reach 20 sacks in one season?" or "Will Aldon Smith be a perennial 15+ sack/season player?"
Maybe if he has a Derrick Thomas game on sunday and racks up 7 sacks he could have a shot

But wow ..20 ..thats a pretty big hill to climb for a rookie
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Only 20? Skeptic!! Ban him!!! 500 sacks!!!!

For the record, it has only happened 7 times in the history of the NFL (and only one person under 26 has accomplished this feat), so......no

Rank Player (age), + - HOFer, Bold - Active Sk Year Teams
1. Michael Strahan (30) 22.5 2001 NYG
2. Mark Gastineau (28) 22.0 1984 NYJ
3. Chris Doleman (28) 21.0 1989 MIN
Reggie White+ (26) 21.0 1987 PHI
5. Lawrence Taylor+ (27) 20.5 1986 NYG
6. Derrick Thomas+ (23) 20.0 1990 KAN
DeMarcus Ware (26) 20.0 2008 DAL

Shouldn't posters do a bit of research before asking questions like, "Will Frank Gore run for 2500 yards this year? or "Will Justin Smith make 200 tackes this seaon?"

So the limited number of times its happened in the past affects Aldon how? Not that i think it'll happen this year, but giving "history" lessons that don't apply to anyone currently on this team, is a sad excuse as to why he wont. As of right now, we simply don't blitz enough to have a 20 sack guy.
Originally posted by mug0mug:
I find Maddogs usual arrogance (because he was mentioned by a local beat reporter once) annoying too, but he makes sense in this case. He's basically saying that there aren't just "20 sack/yr guys," as if that's a metric for a good pass-rusher. You get 23 sacks and you are the sole record holder. It's not like the passing game has become so much more prevalant than, say, last year. The record was set 10 years ago (and 2nd place 27 years ago).

The question sounds like "Will Aldon Smith become a consistently elite pass-rusher," but is actually asking "Will Aldon Smith be a HOF, record-breaking, sack machine?"

I agree with MadDog's point, but I don't understand why he finds things like this personally offensive.
Originally posted by mug0mug:
I find Maddogs usual arrogance (because he was mentioned by a local beat reporter once) annoying too, but he makes sense in this case. He's basically saying that there aren't just "20 sack/yr guys," as if that's a metric for a good pass-rusher. You get 23 sacks and you are the sole record holder. It's not like the passing game has become so much more prevalant than, say, last year. The record was set 10 years ago (and 2nd place 27 years ago).

The question sounds like "Will Aldon Smith become a consistently elite pass-rusher," but is actually asking "Will Aldon Smith be a HOF, record-breaking, sack machine?"

I definitely hear what you're saying and agree with what you're saying about 20 sack/yr guys, it is very rare and is hardly a realistic/logical benchmark to shoot for, especially after only seeing 7 weeks of play from this young man...

But at the same time, I still feel 20 sacks/yr. is not going to be as exclusive heading into the future and I think it has everything to do with the passing game opening up across the league. I know the difference from last year to this year isn't significant, but from '03 until now? It's changed dramatically. IMO the league's defenses are now catching up to the shift and the amount of sacks will rise across the league for the next few years, before offenses start shifting towards a more Jim Harbaugh power-running WCO .
I'd like to correct my previous statements? Can Aldon Smith be a 20 sack guy? Sure. Can Alex Smith win 10 NFL MVP award? Sure. I guess anything is possible.

My beef with the thread is that the question should be more specific. Either go with "Will Aldon Smith, at some point in his career, reach 20 sacks in one season?" or "Will Aldon Smith be a perennial 15+ sack/season player?"

I feel you on the thread not being specific enough, lol, it seems like every poster had a different idea of what the OP was asking. I thought he was asking if Aldon has a chance to get 20 sacks in a single season in his career...which I would say is possible but not altogether likely.

However, there is no comparison between Alex Smith winning 10 NFL MVP awards and Aldon Smith getting 20 sacks.
a) Alex Smith is playing his first above average season in seven years, whereas Aldon Smith is 21 in his first season and has been hot as a pistol from the 1st day of training camp on. I think it's much more logical to expect Aldon to produce like a monster because that's all he's shown us he can do so far.
b) Seven people have had 20 sacks but NO ONE has ever won 10 NFL MVP's. The record is 3. I know you were making a joke but still, this comp. is insane.

can he get 20 in a season,sure,but i would be thrilled if he gets the 12-16 a season that i predict.
  • 8to80

I agree, there are so many things wrong with this thread. Most pass rushers will get at least 20 sacks in their careers, so the OP obviously needs to set a time period (like 1 season). He also needs to specify if he's talking about this season, or next season, or any season in the future (if he is, in fact, talking about a season). I'm surprised so many of you voted when you didn't know WTH you were voting on.

All I know is at this point, he is playing so beastly that he is a candidate for defensive rookie of the year.
lol
without a doubt and i will be dissapointed if he doesnt and will start a thread about:

Aldon not living up to potential. Trade value?
  • buck
  • Veteran

Please stop telling us (others on this forum) what we should or should not do?
Share 49ersWebzone