There are 144 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Do you think that Aldon Smith can be a 20 sack Guy.?

Do you think that Aldon Smith can be a 20 sack Guy.?

Not this year, maybe in a year or two when he's a starter and plays more downs.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Only 20? Skeptic!! Ban him!!! 500 sacks!!!!

For the record, it has only happened 7 times in the history of the NFL (and only one person under 26 has accomplished this feat), so......no

Rank Player (age), + - HOFer, Bold - Active Sk Year Teams
1. Michael Strahan (30) 22.5 2001 NYG
2. Mark Gastineau (28) 22.0 1984 NYJ
3. Chris Doleman (28) 21.0 1989 MIN
Reggie White+ (26) 21.0 1987 PHI
5. Lawrence Taylor+ (27) 20.5 1986 NYG
6. Derrick Thomas+ (23) 20.0 1990 KAN
DeMarcus Ware (26) 20.0 2008 DAL

Shouldn't posters do a bit of research before asking questions like, "Will Frank Gore run for 2500 yards this year? or "Will Justin Smith make 200 tackes this seaon?"

Exactly, it has only happened 7 times, so no. It would be impossible for it to happen. It's like asking if, "the moon will ever breed unicorns?" Ridiculous!
  • Shemp
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 26,583
Originally posted by brizznasty:
these polls are getting ridiculous let the rookie get to 10 first k?

this
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Exactly, it has only happened 7 times, so no. It would be impossible for it to happen. It's like asking if, "the moon will ever breed unicorns?" Ridiculous!

How do you know that it doesn't, have you been there??
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Only 20? Skeptic!! Ban him!!! 500 sacks!!!!

For the record, it has only happened 7 times in the history of the NFL (and only one person under 26 has accomplished this feat), so......no

Rank Player (age), + - HOFer, Bold - Active Sk Year Teams
1. Michael Strahan (30) 22.5 2001 NYG
2. Mark Gastineau (28) 22.0 1984 NYJ
3. Chris Doleman (28) 21.0 1989 MIN
Reggie White+ (26) 21.0 1987 PHI
5. Lawrence Taylor+ (27) 20.5 1986 NYG
6. Derrick Thomas+ (23) 20.0 1990 KAN
DeMarcus Ware (26) 20.0 2008 DAL

Shouldn't posters do a bit of research before asking questions like, "Will Frank Gore run for 2500 yards this year? or "Will Justin Smith make 200 tackes this seaon?"

Exactly, it has only happened 7 times, so no. It would be impossible for it to happen. It's like asking if, "the moon will ever breed unicorns?" Ridiculous!

what, you've never ridden a Moonicorn?
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

So.. pretty please, with sugar on top, sack the f**king QB.
That has to be a typo. 20? That means we expect him to be an instant hall of famer. I'm going to assume you mean 10. Because 10+ sacks consistently means he is a perennial ALL-STAR.
Originally posted by saniner:
In the future, maybe.

Funny though, we might see 2 guys get 20 this year. Jared Allen already has 12.5, and Ware is right behind with 12. It isn't crazy to think they could each get 8 sacks to finish out the season. Allen has 8 games left to play, while Ware has 9.

Teams are passing more, so I'm not surprised if sack numbers go up as well, as will interceptions.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Originally posted by saniner:
In the future, maybe.

Funny though, we might see 2 guys get 20 this year. Jared Allen already has 12.5, and Ware is right behind with 12. It isn't crazy to think they could each get 8 sacks to finish out the season. Allen has 8 games left to play, while Ware has 9.

Teams are passing more, so I'm not surprised if sack numbers go up as well, as will interceptions.

whats crazy is how low sack #s have been since it became an official stat.

Deacon Jones probably had 20 sacks a season, every season of his career.
It's extremely hard to get 20+ sacks so ima say no.
43% Yes. Hilarious. Should have asked if 50 sacks was possible. Might still get 30% Yes vote.
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 16,021
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
43% Yes. Hilarious. Should have asked if 50 sacks was possible. Might still get 30% Yes vote.

Sure, only a handful of players have ever reached the mark, but given the fact the guy is 21, played half the snaps this year and is already on pace to set the rookie sack mark, I don't think it's out of the question. The question is 'can he' not 'will he'. It's reasonable to think he can so long he stays healthy and matures as a player. The question isn't relegated to this season, btw, so I don't see the big deal you are making this to be. While it's likely he won't, he does have some of the best raw pass rushing skills in the league at 21 years old. But by all means, continue to condescend people you don't agree with.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
43% Yes. Hilarious. Should have asked if 50 sacks was possible. Might still get 30% Yes vote.

Sure, only a handful of players have ever reached the mark, but given the fact the guy is 21, played half the snaps this year and is already on pace to set the rookie sack mark, I don't think it's out of the question. The question is 'can he' not 'will he'. It's reasonable to think he can so long he stays healthy and matures as a player. The question isn't relegated to this season, btw, so I don't see the big deal you are making this to be. While it's likely he won't, he does have some of the best raw pass rushing skills in the league at 21 years old. But by all means, continue to condescend people you don't agree with.

stop being a blind homer Amp.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
43% Yes. Hilarious. Should have asked if 50 sacks was possible. Might still get 30% Yes vote.

It depends upon the question.

Can Aldon Smith get 20+ sacks in a season at some point in his career? Of course he CAN. Its certainly not impossible. He's on pace for 14-15 sacks this year with limited playing time in his rookie season. Certainly POSSIBLE. But its a pointless question.

The question should be, "Do you think he will get 14+ sacks this year?" I think it is likely, when you look at the way he is playing, combined with the fact that we still haven't played the Rams, Cardinals, and other teams with questionable lines.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home