There are 117 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Are the 49ers overrated at #2 in the power rankings?

Are the 49ers overrated at #2 in the power rankings?

Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I think power rankings are meaningless. I think if you look at who would be favored in games on a neutral field.. then I think the #2 rating is high. RIght now 5th seems about right to me.

These teams would be favored over the Niners (in my opinion) if they played on a neutral field:
Green Bay
New Orleans
Pittsburgh
New England

These teams would be about even:
Baltimore
Philly

No way NO is gonna beat us on a neutral feild, they have serious d problems and both their OTs suck balls. New England has the 32nd ranked defense, you don't think we'd let them have the ball too often do you? Green Bay has the 31st ranked passing d and oline injuries. We have a more balanced team than any of the teams on your lists. You do know the best team usually wins right?

LOL. I really dont think it would matter much that NE has the 32nd ranked pass defense or that GB has the 31st ranked pass defense. Both of these teams can stop the run and that is what the Niners do best. Put it this way, there is NO way I would bet on the Niners against either of these teams on a neutral field. As for the NO WAY that the Saints would beat us... ya right. That would go either way.

I think you are getting carried away just a bit. The Niners played poorly against Cincy and barely won. The Eagles would have beaten us if not for 2 missed 30 yard field goals. The crappy Browns were in the game in the 4th quarter on our home field. So, while I love the progress this team has made I think its ridiculous to say we are a top 2 team in the NFL. Top 5 .. possibly

I'm sorry, but cindy is 5-2 now, that's a prettyndamn good team we beat. We had two botched field goals in the eagles game too. And even the pack have had crappy halves against poor teams. They were shutout by the f**king RAMS for God's sake.

I am not saying the Niners arent good. I think they are a top 5-7 team in the league. I just think its ridiculous to say they are a top 2 team. Not with our QB and our passing attack. We are not balanced enough or have a strong enough passing attack in my opinion to be one of the 2 best teams in the entire NFL. If Smith starts playing better and we prove that we can consistently move the ball through the air then I will upgrade them. I just think people are getting carried away with this Top 2 stuff.
I am not saying the Niners arent good. I think they are a top 5-7 team in the league. I just think its ridiculous to say they are a top 2 team. Not with our QB and our passing attack. We are not balanced enough or have a strong enough passing attack in my opinion to be one of the 2 best teams in the entire NFL. If Smith starts playing better and we prove that we can consistently move the ball through the air then I will upgrade them. I just think people are getting carried away with this Top 2 stuff.

we could easily beat the packers, every team has it's flaws though we are the more balanced team in the NFL

you're overrating the passing game IMO. when we needed to pass against philly & detroit it worked. yes smith can improve and that will come with more time
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Nov 5, 2011 at 6:00 PM ]
Originally posted by Shaj:
Look at the Colts with and without Manning. There is nothing wrong with having one of the best QBs in the league carry your team on his back to win games. We have the 31st passing attack in the league. 31st!!!! That is the only reason I think we should not be rated this high. If we are behind in the 4th quarter, our ST and D has to bail us out, because Alex is a low risk/medium return game manager, not an Aaron Rodgers gunslinger that can will his team to win in any circumstances.
i hope the defense is as relentless on the skins tomorrow as you are on alex
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

we could easily beat the packers, every team has it's flaws though we are the more balanced team in the NFL

you're overrating the passing game IMO. when we needed to pass against philly & detroit it worked. yes smith can improve and that will come with more time

Just curious. How are we the "most balanced team" when we are 24th in the league in total offense, 31st in the league in passing offense, 20th in the league in pass defense. I think the Niners are a team that runs the ball well and is awesome at stopping the run. I still think we struggle in the pass game on both sides of the ball and in my mind that keeps us from being a TOP 2 team. I hope Smith steps his game up and we can become a real balanced offense moving forward.
Just curious. How are we the "most balanced team" when we are 24th in the league in total offense, 31st in the league in passing offense, 20th in the league in pass defense. I think the Niners are a team that runs the ball well and is awesome at stopping the run. I still think we struggle in the pass game on both sides of the ball and in my mind that keeps us from being a TOP 2 team. I hope Smith steps his game up and we can become a real balanced offense moving forward.

passing offense means one thing, yards. do i really have to go over every other teams faults and weaknesses? we have a strong defense #1 in points allowed, strong special teams, strong running game, we have and EFFICIENT passing game. the big pass plays haven't come yet, but like i said hopefully they will.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

passing offense means one thing, yards. do i really have to go over every other teams faults and weaknesses? we have a strong defense #1 in points allowed, strong special teams, strong running game, we have and EFFICIENT passing game. the big pass plays haven't come yet, but like i said hopefully they will.

I hope those big pass plays happen too. Teams will begin stacking the lines to force the Niners to throw more often and to throw deep.

I think your dead wrong, I think our passing attack is just fine and that we just really haven't had to utilize it.
Originally posted by Shorteous:

I think your dead wrong, I think our passing attack is just fine and that we just really haven't had to utilize it.

And I think you overestimate our passing attack. Sorry but I dont really trust Alex Smith if the Niners running game gets shut down. When he proves that he can win games with his arm at least a couple of times then I will be more comfortable saying we are a TOP 2-3 team in the league.
I think the niners let up in the second half of the browns game. They just wanted to run the ball and were very predictable which could of lead to a loss with a better team. The Philly game is a prime example. Niners need to play every down 100% even though they have a big lead. This is the NFL. Which means Not For Lazys.
Originally posted by okdkid:
We are the most well-rounded team in the entire NFL. Teams like the Packers will have great difficulty beating us in a playoff type game.

- We are the best defense in the NFL
- We have a top rushing attack
- We have an amazingly efficient QB
- We may have the best coaching staff this season
- Our special teams are in the top 5

Packers? Amazing passing game. Absolutely nothing else.
Saints? Amazing passing game at home. Not much else to fear.
Ravens? Has anyone seen their past two games against opponents with a combined 2 wins?
Patriots? Amazing passing game. Absolutely nothing else.

Patriots and Packers have absolutely nothing else? They both have solid running games and masterful coaching staffs. Having a guy like Brady or Rodgers is also a great equalizer.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
good post and I agree especially with the bolded.

I wouldn't. A team like Green Bay has already proven it can be formiddable with key injuries. The 49ers would be lost without Frank Gore.
Green Bay's played a tougher team than the 49ers. Give me a break. New Orleans is a good team. Playing in Atlanta is one of the toughest venues in the NFL. Playing at Soldier Field is tough. Untested. Give me a break. Records don't always tell the whole story. IMO, the Saints and Falcons are better than any team the 49ers have played. Especially the Falcons in Atl. They've lost like twice in the last 3 years at home.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Aaron may not have a lot of comeback wins, I haven't looked that up, but there is probably not any QB in the league more capable of doing so. However, since you like stats, we are 31st in passing offense, and that just cannot bode well in the playoffs, no matter how you slice it.

That's because he's one of the most consistent QBs in NFL history and rarely plays poorly to be down in the first place. The Packers have been down by at least 13 points twice this season and Rodgers has led them back for decisive victories. I don't know where all the "Packers haven't played anybody" and "Packers barely beat x and y teams" comments are coming from. The Packers have actually had commanding leads in the 4th quarter of every single game they played. Some of you folks need to watch the games and not read the Box Scores.
Originally posted by walker807:
You could argue for the 49ers to be the best at everything but throwing the ball.

Yeah but will running the ball, special teams and defense win the the Super Bowl nowadays. Signs point to no. Oh well I'm glad they're winning!
Why bother with rankings. All I care about is that we win, let them write us off because we are west coast.