LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 149 users in the forums

Are the 49ers overrated at #2 in the power rankings?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are the 49ers overrated at #2 in the power rankings?

Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by English:
Yes, balanced. But developing and getting better.

Pansy asses?

Yes, we are a tough team that is physical in an era of soft teams. Seems like the talking heads want pass happy teams that play suspect defense, too bad for them Harbaugh missed that memo.

The NFL wants passhappy teams. That iswhy all the rule changes. Harbaugh founda way to make a balanced team work. He winsa Superbowl within 2 years and he will rank side by side with Walsh IMO.
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for RishikeshA.
We're 49er fans so it's not high enough. Realistically, they are #1 on defense and the offense is quite effective inside the red zone. Special teams are among the leagues best so you put it all together and the ranking is justified. Wouldn't surprise me if we become #1 in the next several weeks.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
We're 49er fans so it's not high enough. Realistically, they are #1 on defense and the offense is quite effective inside the red zone. Special teams are among the leagues best so you put it all together and the ranking is justified. Wouldn't surprise me if we become #1 in the next several weeks.

Green Bay would have to lose twice for us to jump them in the coming weeks.
Originally posted by Jd925:
I think yes.

I start to get concerned when people start talking about 13 to 15 wins and Superbowls etc. and listen to and read all the glowing remarks on everything the 49er's do. Sure the schedule looks favorable so we should get a bunch more wins, but how good is this team really?

I think I would probably rate them top 5 right now, but I think Pittsburg, New England, and the Ravens are still more proven. I also think the 49ers seem to have had a favorable schedule (catching the Eagles early before they got hot and catching teams like Washington when they are hurt and going down etc..) There are other good teams that aren't far behind such as the Saints, Bills, Giants, Lions, Jets, Atlanta...

Hey no doubt the 49ers look really strong these days, but I think we are getting ahead of ourselves.

Freddie P

Patriots
Played; Miami, San Diego, Buffalo, Oakland, Jets, Cowboys, Pittsburgh
Left; Giants, Jets, Kansas City, Philly, Indy, Washington, Denver, Miami, Buffalo
Opponents Played Records: 26-24 ------- +2
Opponents Left Records: 26-38 ------------ -12
Total Records: 52 - 62 ------------------------ -10

Steelers
Played; Baltimore, Seattle, Indy, Houston, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Arizona, New England
Left; Baltimore, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Cincinnati, Cleveland, 49ers, St.Louis, Cleveland
Opponents Played Records: 24 - 35 ------ -11
Opponents Left Records: 32 - 24 ----------- +8
Total Records: 56 - 59 -------------------------- -3

Green Bay
Played; New Orleans, Carolina, Chicago, Denver, Atlanta, St.Louis, Minnesota
Left; San Diego, Minnesota, Tampa Bay, Detroit, New York Giants, Oakland, Kansas City, Chicago, Detroit
Opponent Played Records: 20 - 32 ------ -12
Opponents Left Records: 37 - 27 --------- + 10
Total Records: 57 - 59 ------------------------ +2

Baltimore Ravens
Played; Pittsburgh, Tennessee, St.Louis, New York Jets, Houston, Jacksonville, Arizona
Left; Pittsburgh, Seattle, Cincinnati, San Francisco, Cleveland, Indy, San Diego, Cleveland, Cincinnati
Opponents Played Record: 22 - 27 ---- -5
Opponents Left Record: 33 - 31 --------- +2
Total Opponents: 55 - 58 ------------------- -3

San Francisco
Played; Seattle, Dallas, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, Detroit, Cleveland
Left; Washington, New York Giants, Arizona, Baltimore, St.Louis, Arizona, Pittsburgh, Seattle, St.Louis
Opponents Played Record: 25 - 24 ---- +1
Opponents Left Record: 24 - 39 --------- -15
Total Records: 49 - 63 ---------------------- -14

Schedule Strength So Far:
1. New England Patriots +2
2. San Francisco 49ers +1
3. Baltimore Ravens - 5
4. Pittsburgh Steelers -11
5. Green Bay - 12

Strength of Schedule Remaining
1. Green Bay Packers +12
2. Pittsburgh Steelers +10
3. Baltimore Ravens +8
4. New England -12
5. San Francisco -15

Total Strength of Schedule
1. Green Bay Packers +2
2. Baltimore Ravens -3
2. Pittsburgh Steelers -3
4. New England Patriots - 10
5. San Francisco 49ers - 14

- So really, IMO Green Bay has been untested thus far through the season. They should have one hell of a last half of the season, and I don't see them winning a majority of their remaining games.
- The Ravens Also have the tougher part of their schedule remaining, but not too much tougher than what they've encountered
- The Steelers also run into the tougher teams in their division, and with already dropping 2, I expect a few more.
- The Pats Should have a very easy time from here on out.
- The 49ers, should have no problem from here on out.

Looking at Strength of schedule thus far, I'd honestly say the Packers are the overrated team at #1.
[ Edited by JayDAche on Nov 5, 2011 at 8:07 AM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:
Green Bay would have to lose twice for us to jump them in the coming weeks.

Every team the Packers will meet from here on has a +.500 record, aside from Minnesota.
I wouldn't be crazy to see it happen.
Originally posted by JayDAche:
Patriots
Played; Miami, San Diego, Buffalo, Oakland, Jets, Cowboys, Pittsburgh
Left; Giants, Jets, Kansas City, Philly, Indy, Washington, Denver, Miami, Buffalo
Opponents Played Records: 26-24 ------- +2
Opponents Left Records: 26-38 ------------ -12
Total Records: 52 - 62 ------------------------ -10

Steelers
Played; Baltimore, Seattle, Indy, Houston, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Arizona, New England
Left; Baltimore, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Cincinnati, Cleveland, 49ers, St.Louis, Cleveland
Opponents Played Records: 24 - 35 ------ -11
Opponents Left Records: 32 - 24 ----------- +8
Total Records: 56 - 59 -------------------------- -3

Green Bay
Played; New Orleans, Carolina, Chicago, Denver, Atlanta, St.Louis, Minnesota
Left; San Diego, Minnesota, Tampa Bay, Detroit, New York Giants, Oakland, Kansas City, Chicago, Detroit
Opponent Played Records: 20 - 32 ------ -12
Opponents Left Records: 37 - 27 --------- + 10
Total Records: 57 - 59 ------------------------ +2

Baltimore Ravens
Played; Pittsburgh, Tennessee, St.Louis, New York Jets, Houston, Jacksonville, Arizona
Left; Pittsburgh, Seattle, Cincinnati, San Francisco, Cleveland, Indy, San Diego, Cleveland, Cincinnati
Opponents Played Record: 22 - 27 ---- -5
Opponents Left Record: 33 - 31 --------- +2
Total Opponents: 55 - 58 ------------------- -3

San Francisco
Played; Seattle, Dallas, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, Detroit, Cleveland
Left; Washington, New York Giants, Arizona, Baltimore, St.Louis, Arizona, Pittsburgh, Seattle, St.Louis
Opponents Played Record: 25 - 24 ---- +1
Opponents Left Record: 24 - 39 --------- -15
Total Records: 49 - 63 ---------------------- -14

Schedule Strength So Far:
1. New England Patriots +2
2. San Francisco 49ers +1
3. Baltimore Ravens - 5
4. Pittsburgh Steelers -11
5. Green Bay - 12

Strength of Schedule Remaining
1. Green Bay Packers +12
2. Pittsburgh Steelers +10
3. Baltimore Ravens +8
4. New England -12
5. San Francisco -15

Total Strength of Schedule
1. Green Bay Packers +2
2. Baltimore Ravens -3
2. Pittsburgh Steelers -3
4. New England Patriots - 10
5. San Francisco 49ers - 14

- So really, IMO Green Bay has been untested thus far through the season. They should have one hell of a last half of the season, and I don't see them winning a majority of their remaining games.
- The Ravens Also have the tougher part of their schedule remaining, but not too much tougher than what they've encountered
- The Steelers also run into the tougher teams in their division, and with already dropping 2, I expect a few more.
- The Pats Should have a very easy time from here on out.
- The 49ers, should have no problem from here on out.

Looking at Strength of schedule thus far, I'd honestly say the Packers are the overrated team at #1.

Nice research, good post!
yeah, nice work Jay!

crazy that GB goes from a "-12" to a "+10". That's an incredibly shift in difficulty.

I'm glad ours goes the other way.
just because a team is more "proven" in the past has nothing to do with this year. we have the 2nd best record and have beaten good teams. every team in the top 10 has its holes and i believe they are beatable. not saying we go to the SB(i hope), but we are a very good team.
more like underrated amirite??
yep

every good team we have beaten simply wasn't good that week

thank god we got to play the eagles before they gelled and caught fire

Originally posted by RonMexico:
yep

every good team we have beaten simply wasn't good that week

thank god we got to play the eagles before they gelled and caught fire
There are going to be a lot of teams that aren't as good the day we play them.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Niners99:
I think we have the 2nd best record in football, and have gotten 4 of our 6 wins against tough teams.

however, you kind of have to look at power rankings and say "would the 49ers beat the Saints in NO in a playoff game?" Im not sure we would. are we better than the Patriots, Steelers, or Ravens? we will find out 2 of those 3. Were probably the 2nd best NFC team. were better than any NFC East team, were obviously better than any NFC West team, were better than the Bears, Vikings, and we beat the Lions on the road to prove were better. and we beat down TB, and are better than CAR and ATL. With the way the Saints played against the Rams, I think we could take them. we almost beat them last year on MNF as a crappy team.

The Packers are clearly better, but the flaw I see with GB, is they rely so heavily on Aaron Rodgers. their D isnt scary, and their running game is weak. We kept up with them in GB last year with the same crappy team that almost beat the Saints. I dont think theyre unbeatable. itll just be hard knowing wed have to win at Lambeau to get by them.

Look at the Colts with and without Manning. There is nothing wrong with having one of the best QBs in the league carry your team on his back to win games. We have the 31st passing attack in the league. 31st!!!! That is the only reason I think we should not be rated this high. If we are behind in the 4th quarter, our ST and D has to bail us out, because Alex is a low risk/medium return game manager, not an Aaron Rodgers gunslinger that can will his team to win in any circumstances.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I think power rankings are meaningless. I think if you look at who would be favored in games on a neutral field.. then I think the #2 rating is high. RIght now 5th seems about right to me.

These teams would be favored over the Niners (in my opinion) if they played on a neutral field:
Green Bay
New Orleans
Pittsburgh
New England

These teams would be about even:
Baltimore
Philly

No way NO is gonna beat us on a neutral feild, they have serious d problems and both their OTs suck balls. New England has the 32nd ranked defense, you don't think we'd let them have the ball too often do you? Green Bay has the 31st ranked passing d and oline injuries. We have a more balanced team than any of the teams on your lists. You do know the best team usually wins right?

LOL. I really dont think it would matter much that NE has the 32nd ranked pass defense or that GB has the 31st ranked pass defense. Both of these teams can stop the run and that is what the Niners do best. Put it this way, there is NO way I would bet on the Niners against either of these teams on a neutral field. As for the NO WAY that the Saints would beat us... ya right. That would go either way.

I think you are getting carried away just a bit. The Niners played poorly against Cincy and barely won. The Eagles would have beaten us if not for 2 missed 30 yard field goals. The crappy Browns were in the game in the 4th quarter on our home field. So, while I love the progress this team has made I think its ridiculous to say we are a top 2 team in the NFL. Top 5 .. possibly
Originally posted by Shaj:
Look at the Colts with and without Manning. There is nothing wrong with having one of the best QBs in the league carry your team on his back to win games. We have the 31st passing attack in the league. 31st!!!! That is the only reason I think we should not be rated this high. If we are behind in the 4th quarter, our ST and D has to bail us out, because Alex is a low risk/medium return game manager, not an Aaron Rodgers gunslinger that can will his team to win in any circumstances.

Aaron Rodgers almost never has to play from behind. That's a credit to the team, obviously, and to him, but I think you're giving him credit in areas you can't quantify because of a perception.

The problem that 99 was alluding to is "what happens if Rodgers gets hurt"? They wouldn't be as bad as the Colts because McCarthy is a much better coach than Caldwell and Flynn is better than Painter, but for a team that relies so heavily on a single player who has missed games to concussion recently, it is a troubling idea to consider.

and while there may be nothing inherently wrong with relying on great players to carry the team, there is certainly something wrong with the Colts situation. That is a failure of coaching and by the front office to not build a better team.

also, your comparison of Alex and Rodgers as "game manager" and "gunslinger" in terms of "come-back wins" is not held up by any stats, as I pointed out in another thread.
[ Edited by HessianDud on Nov 5, 2011 at 12:01 PM ]
I think power rankings are meaningless. I think if you look at who would be favored in games on a neutral field.. then I think the #2 rating is high. RIght now 5th seems about right to me.

These teams would be favored over the Niners (in my opinion) if they played on a neutral field:
Green Bay
New Orleans
Pittsburgh
New England

These teams would be about even:
Baltimore
Philly

No way NO is gonna beat us on a neutral feild, they have serious d problems and both their OTs suck balls. New England has the 32nd ranked defense, you don't think we'd let them have the ball too often do you? Green Bay has the 31st ranked passing d and oline injuries. We have a more balanced team than any of the teams on your lists. You do know the best team usually wins right?

LOL. I really dont think it would matter much that NE has the 32nd ranked pass defense or that GB has the 31st ranked pass defense. Both of these teams can stop the run and that is what the Niners do best. Put it this way, there is NO way I would bet on the Niners against either of these teams on a neutral field. As for the NO WAY that the Saints would beat us... ya right. That would go either way.

I think you are getting carried away just a bit. The Niners played poorly against Cincy and barely won. The Eagles would have beaten us if not for 2 missed 30 yard field goals. The crappy Browns were in the game in the 4th quarter on our home field. So, while I love the progress this team has made I think its ridiculous to say we are a top 2 team in the NFL. Top 5 .. possibly

I'm sorry, but cindy is 5-2 now, that's a prettyndamn good team we beat. We had two botched field goals in the eagles game too. And even the pack have had crappy halves against poor teams. They were shutout by the f**king RAMS for God's sake.
Share 49ersWebzone