49ers vs. Broncos Tickets Available! →

There are 537 users in the forums

Who do we need to upgrade

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Players / positions) to upgrade:

FS - Goldson - He's been solid, but we could always use a star back there.

DE - RJF is best at the back-up NT spot, clearly. The drop-off in pressure is clear from McDonald to him. You could say we're upgrading over Tukuafu really.

OG - Snyder - he, too has been solid, and I'll take him over Chilo anyday. Again, we could always use a star. I like Kilgore.

OLB - We technically only have three on the team right now. Brook, Haralson, and Aldon. We cut Applewhite. Grant can play both, but we can do better than Grant as a 3-4 OLB. He's better suited to play TED.

WR - K Williams - I know he's seen little time, but it's not hard to argue we could add a potential star over him. I have a hard time seeing both Edwards and Morgan coming back. I think it may be just one. I like the idea of having a Crabtree-Morgan combo with a blistering speedster like DeSean Jackson or Maclin in the slot. When Crabtree finally is able to get chemistry with Smith, I believe he'll be a 1000 yard receiver.

Nice post as usual, Clock... I put the positions in just for clarity purposes...

Agree with all of your points regarding the FS, DE, OG, and OLB positions. Really glad to hear you like Kilgore. He has gotten some mixed reviews in the Zone.

Now, with regard to the WR position.... The problem I see with the Niners wideouts right now is that the top 3 (Edwards, Crabtree, and Morgan) have all struggled with injuries this year. Edwards looks like he will be fine but Morgan's ankle injury was pretty serious and there is no guarantee that he will be back to 100% next year.
Also, Crabs has been struggling with his foot since he came into the league. I'm concerned he will never be fully healthy and thus unable to develop a rapport with any QB the Niners have.

So, that means that 2 out of the top 3 WRs the team has are real question marks for 2012 and if Edwards decides to sign elsewhere, then the team needs to completely retool.

Also with the team relying so much on the power run game, they appear to covet bigger, more physical WRs that can block downfield in general. K Williams has hardly seen the field so far and he had a pretty darn good training camp.

I would love the team to draft J Crick as an eventual replacement for Justin Smith at DE but I'm starting to rethink the number one choice because of the real need a stud WR.

Cheers!
We need safeties with cover skills. Goldson is only a mediocre FS to date and passes me off with his lack of hustle sometimes.After that, we can draft bpa guys.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Realistically, we should always be looking to upgrade, it is asinine to say otherwise. There should be a constant quest to improve and secure our future at every position, this builds depth, creates competition, and will help sustain a team at the top. So hell yes we need to improve, or our success will be short lived!

This.
Positions to upgrade:

1. CB - We need someone to line up across from Culliver in a couple of years.
2. C - We need someone to replace the aging Goodwin in a year or two.
3. G - We need someone to replace Snyder in a year or two.
4. WR - We need a playmaker who can threaten teams down field and open up space for Crabtree, who's now at the Z.

In general, the defense is just fine. What we need is improvement on the offensive side of the ball. One thing our team lacks is offensive playmakers. We need explosive players to complement the big guys (Crabtree, Davis, Edwards)
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Nov 4, 2011 at 8:39 AM ]
Originally posted by wolfpack52:
Honestly I think the niners draft best available player. Feels good to be in that category. No need to reach or pickup a developmental player. I think this strategy will work for the first 3 rounds.

I disagree here. If best overall is an ILB, do we draft him? I also say about QB, RB, and FB. My top 3 picks if the draft was today would be (assuming assuming assuming):

FS (need game changer)
WR (need a true number one)
OG (dominant for right side)
4 obvious positions where an upgrade is needed:

1) WR - by far the most immediate need is a game changing #1 WR that has speed and can stretch the field

2) OG - RG that can solidfy this line

3) QB - unless you really feel that Alex can be trusted to win games and be a star in crucial situations on a consistent basis.

4) C- The Niners really need to upgrade the interior OL

In the draft there is no question in my mind that I would select either the WR or interior lineman. Toon or DeCastro!
Punter! Besides, Lee is going to sign for the league max when he's a FA - it'll go Brady, Lee, Manning...






If we are talking about an instant upgrade at 1 position and biggest impact, then Alex is just that. We can win a superbowl with our team and a good QB. Our OL is good enough, our DB's are good enough and our OLB's are too.....While we should draft those other positions for depth, Alex (our QB) is the key to how far we can go. However, I think the 49ers will stick with him. Playoffs is hard to complain about but championships used to be what mattered!
Originally posted by Youngb:


This is an offseason thread, not a midseason. Who hops on WZ and thinks that starting a thread like this is a good idea when we are 6-1.

I guess the NFL is retarded for having a practice squad or trying out players every Tuesday or cutting and signing players all year long. They should be happy with the team they have at the end of pre-season and stick with them, make no adjustments. Improve their team in no way possible because they are the best they can be already.

Maybe you shoudn't "hop on WZ" at all.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone