LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 302 users in the forums

2 Niner defenders on Kings mid-season all pro team

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by okdkid:
The common complaint amongst pundits is that the 49ers are not "built" to beat a team like the Packers or the Saints in the playoffs.

I'm really not seeing it.

In fact, I'll take the opposite point of view. I don't think the Packers or Saints are built to beat a team like the 49ers in the playoffs.

In January, throwing the ball 50 times with a sieve of a defense will not win you games. Controlling the trenches on both sides of the ball and winning the turnover battle is what wins games.

The Packers and Saints will be fighting an upfield battle should they visit San Francisco in January.

The problem with your assertion is that there's no such thing as a 4th quarter comeback by a team that controls the trenches. 4th quarter comebacks happen on the backs of the QB. If we are beating the Packers or the Saints, both Brees and Rodgers have the capability to put their teams on their backs and put up monster 4th quarters for the win.

in his career (61 games) Aaron Rodgers has 3 fourth quarter comebacks and 5 game winning drives. (0 and 0 this year)

in his career, (61 games) Alex Smith has 7 fourth quarter comebacks and 9 game winning drives (3 and 4 this year).
Originally posted by HessianDud:
in his career (61 games) Aaron Rodgers has 3 fourth quarter comebacks and 5 game winning drives. (0 and 0 this year)

in his career, (61 games) Alex Smith has 7 fourth quarter comebacks and 9 game winning drives (3 and 4 this year).

These stats are INSANE! Not that I double-checked, but I believe you. Crazy to see this though. Other than the end of the Philly game last year, when was the last time Alex actually didn't come through in the 4th when the Niners needed him too?
Originally posted by Giants9ersfan:
Originally posted by HessianDud:

These stats are INSANE! Not that I double-checked, but I believe you. Crazy to see this though. Other than the end of the Philly game last year, when was the last time Alex actually didn't come through in the 4th when the Niners needed him too?

yeah, Smith has been clutch--which is kind of shocking, even to me, and I've always supported Smith. those stats don't even account for games like NO last year when Alex did everything he could to win that game and the defense let us down.

and for the record, Brees has 17 4th QTR comebacks and 25 GWD in 146 games. He has won 84 games which means that around 30 % of his victories has come from him leading a game-winning drive. Alex Smith has won 36% of his 25 victories by GWD.
Justin Smith - he SHOULD be there, but I don't think he gets the recognition.

IF Aldon can keep up his current pace I don't know how he desn't become DROY.
Originally posted by Shaj:
The problem with your assertion is that there's no such thing as a 4th quarter comeback by a team that controls the trenches. 4th quarter comebacks happen on the backs of the QB. If we are beating the Packers or the Saints, both Brees and Rodgers have the capability to put their teams on their backs and put up monster 4th quarters for the win.

Except that they would be going up against the team that allows the FEWEST points per game in the NFL. So while they have the capability to get their team in the endzone, we have the capability to stop them short. Justin Smith sack, P willie fumble recovery, game over!
Originally posted by Method:
I love bowman, but Willis has been the best player on the best defense in the league. The guy makes this s**t click

I'd argue Justin Smith has been our best player on defense for quite a while now....
Share 49ersWebzone