LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 265 users in the forums

49ers and the National Media (Perceptions, predictions, articles, etc.)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Why do you guys NOT care about not getting media attention? Don't you want to see and hear about the 49ers in every NFL news station? I don't know about you guys, but when I turn on ESPN or NFL Network, I would rather watch them talk about the 49ers than any other team because THAT is what entertains me more.

Would you rather watch a crappy show or an interesting show?

So, when I flip to those channels and all I see is them talking up [hot team that week] but always seem to ignore what the 49ers are doing, then I do get irritated because I tuned to that channel to bask more in what the 49ers are doing. Yet they seemed to get snubbed or overlooked each time.

Literally not even interesting watching these channels anymore and that's why it irritates me. The 49ers have earned and deserved to be talked about and the fans should be able to tune in and be entertained by watching more stuff on their team because their team is doing well.
ESPN did show a lot highlights for this game, in fact the most ever for this year. What sells is fumbles and interceptions followed by touchdowns. Especially those plays that spin around a game. A lot of our scores come from two things-the Tampa Game and field goals. Thus few highlights. You guys gotta know it is not a matter of them totally dissing the niners, it is plays that make the 10 plays deal that they are looking for.

In this game they showed the second half cause the first half was field goals. They showed, the giants go ahead TD then VD and Hunter's TD, followed by the giants TD then the Giants drive followed by Justin Smith's b***h slap rejection of manning's 4th down pass that sealed the game.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by tulliman:
Tom Jackson from ESPN just said that Aaron Rodgers is playing better than anyone in 25 years? 25 years? I'm sorry - that takes us back to 1986. Sorry, there was this little-known quarterback named Joe FREAKING Montana back then.

Aaron has a lot of work to be better than Joe. A lot.

This pisses me off so much.

A lot of guys do not get that this is a different game than in the 80s and mid 90s. Brett Farve is proof. He was a great qb back in the day and still was able to play at the highest level in today's NFL as a 40 year old has been. Montana, Young, Marino, and Elway would have left the game with untouchable numbers with the rules currently in place.

I do not care if Manning and Rogers smash all the records.

this.

Rodgers is having an incredible season that may or may not break the records Brady set just a few years ago, and might break some older records, like Marino's yardage.

...But in a few years some other QB is going to come along and shatter those numbers, and then it'll happen again, and again, and again, and soon all the numbers will be meaningless.

The fact is that Marino set that yardage record a long time ago, and though its been challenged no one could top it. Now several QBs in a single season might break it. That has less to do with QB's being better and more to do with what the modern NFL is.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Tom Brady (through 9 games 2007): 2686 yards 33 TDs 4 ints 131 rating

Aaron Rodgers (through 9 games 2011): 2869 yards 28 TDs 3 ints 130 rating
[ Edited by Jcool on Nov 15, 2011 at 10:51 AM ]
Originally posted by HessianDud:
this.

Rodgers is having an incredible season that may or may not break the records Brady set just a few years ago, and might break some older records, like Marino's yardage.

...But in a few years some other QB is going to come along and shatter those numbers, and then it'll happen again, and again, and again, and soon all the numbers will be meaningless.

The fact is that Marino set that yardage record a long time ago, and though its been challenged no one could top it. Now several QBs in a single season might break it. That has less to do with QB's being better and more to do with what the modern NFL is.

Not really. Marino was shooting minus the run way back before. the Dolphins were a passing team then. they had no real run game. In fact, no one could stop him cause everyone was still geared to stopping the run first. Until the niners exposed the phins weakness in the SB, we had the players of course but we pretty much said we are not worried about your run game and are coming after Marino with our ears pinned back.

Just as teams are trying to gear up to stopping the pass now cause more teams pass, the niners are running the ball first is a rarity. So Marino is great don't get me wrong, but teams couldn't stop him cause they weren't geared for it. Just like the teams are not ready for the niners WCO back then and not used to the 49ers version of running now.

Teams are more geared to stopping the pass, so what these QB's have done is great IMO. The only thing you might say is that the talent pool is spread more thin now. Plus because of the salary cap, less developement of talent and cohesion of team play, knowing how your team mates think and being on the same page-from DB to saftey, QB to WR, OL to OL, and DL to DL to LB.
Originally posted by WildBill:
this.

Not really. Marino was shooting minus the run way back before. the Dolphins were a passing team then. they had no real run game. In fact, no one could stop him cause everyone was still geared to stopping the run first. Until the niners exposed the phins weakness in the SB, we had the players of course but we pretty much said we are not worried about your run game and are coming after Marino with our ears pinned back.

Just as teams are trying to gear up to stopping the pass now cause more teams pass, the niners are running the ball first is a rarity. So Marino is great don't get me wrong, but teams couldn't stop him cause they weren't geared for it. Just like the teams are not ready for the niners WCO back then and not used to the 49ers version of running now.

Teams are more geared to stopping the pass, so what these QB's have done is great IMO. The only thing you might say is that the talent pool is spread more thin now. Plus because of the salary cap, less developement of talent and cohesion of team play, knowing how your team mates think and being on the same page-from DB to saftey, QB to WR, OL to OL, and DL to DL to LB.

i hear what you're saying, but rules favor the offense in ways they didn't when Marino was playing.

I'm not trying to take anything away from what QB's now are doing, but when mediocre or middle of the pack QB's are putting up 4,000 yard seasons every year you have to notice that.
i hear what you're saying, but rules favor the offense in ways they didn't when Marino was playing.

I'm not trying to take anything away from what QB's now are doing, but when mediocre or middle of the pack QB's are putting up 4,000 yard seasons every year you have to notice that.

That's because mediocre WR's are allowed to run freely. THAT is the biggest difference. In the 80's, if you weren't a very strong WR or very talented, you were ineffective.
Originally posted by Joecool:

That's because mediocre WR's are allowed to run freely. THAT is the biggest difference. In the 80's, if you weren't a very strong WR or very talented, you were ineffective.

If Marino played today, with the rules the way they are, with the quality of athletes that are playing today, he'd be putting up Arena Football numbers...which is basically what we're on our way to seeing.

Not trying to take away from Rodgers, he's playing great, and is a great athlete, but I just think seasons like the one he is having are going to be more and more common place unless something changes in the league. (that's not to say that dudes will have seasons as good as what he's having; but there's going to be a lot more 5,000 yard and 40 TD seasons in the near future, until those numbers are the new 3,000/25).
were not getting any respect from anyone but its allgood i rather win a superbowl going under the radar
No one shows miner highlights. It will hurt our pro bowl chances but who cares. We don't need our players getting big heads.

Originally posted by Youngone:
No one shows miner highlights. It will hurt our pro bowl chances but who cares. We don't need our players getting big heads.

I rather have our players playing in the big dance vs. the Pro Bowl anyway.
My parents work and live in the Middle East. My mom is from Northern California. She said the only NFL highlight that the BBC World channel did was 49ers-Giants. She was so excited. We have arrived on the big stage. Even if ESPN is avoiding us because they are stuck between Boston and NYC.

I wouldn't say Brees Brady and Rodgers and possibly Cam or Roths are mediocre QBs. They are passing more though. Rules- well unless you are talking about John Brodie days-those WR had it rough.
I find that the football highlight shows are absolutely HORRIBLE these days! Ever since NBC took over and started doing that dumb football night in America show....I use to like the 1hr special on espn "Primetime" which was all football!..not mixed in with other sports...smh....
Originally posted by WildBill:

I wouldn't say Brees Brady and Rodgers and possibly Cam or Roths are mediocre QBs. They are passing more though. Rules- well unless you are talking about John Brodie days-those WR had it rough.

last year these QB's threw for more than 3,600 yards:

Joe Flacco
Matt Ryan
Kyle Orton
Carson Palmer (3900)
Matt Schaub (4300)

that's 5 of the top 11 players in terms of passing yards. those dudes are straight up mediocre.
Share 49ersWebzone