LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

49ers and the National Media (Perceptions, predictions, articles, etc.)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by WildBill:
i hear what you're saying, but rules favor the offense in ways they didn't when Marino was playing.

I'm not trying to take anything away from what QB's now are doing, but when mediocre or middle of the pack QB's are putting up 4,000 yard seasons every year you have to notice that.

I wouldn't say Brees Brady and Rodgers and possibly Cam or Roths are mediocre QBs. They are passing more though. Rules- well unless you are talking about John Brodie days-those WR had it rough.

last year these QB's threw for more than 3,600 yards:

Joe Flacco
Matt Ryan
Kyle Orton
Carson Palmer (3900)
Matt Schaub (4300)

that's 5 of the top 11 players in terms of passing yards. those dudes are straight up mediocre.

True but I think 4,000 is the new 3,000 in this era. QB's are attempting a lot more passes to the point where Alex's 20 to 28 attempt games are considered "hiding" him. Just stupid.
Originally posted by Joecool:
i hear what you're saying, but rules favor the offense in ways they didn't when Marino was playing.

I'm not trying to take anything away from what QB's now are doing, but when mediocre or middle of the pack QB's are putting up 4,000 yard seasons every year you have to notice that.

I wouldn't say Brees Brady and Rodgers and possibly Cam or Roths are mediocre QBs. They are passing more though. Rules- well unless you are talking about John Brodie days-those WR had it rough.

Joe Flacco
Matt Ryan
Kyle Orton
Carson Palmer (3900)
Matt Schaub (4300)

that's 5 of the top 11 players in terms of passing yards. those dudes are straight up mediocre.

True but I think 4,000 is the new 3,000 in this era. QB's are attempting a lot more passes to the point where Alex's 20 to 28 attempt games are considered "hiding" him. Just stupid.

yeah, that's my point. the game has changed. at one point, 3600 yards would have been a top 5 season, and likely would have been accomplished by a truly elite or HOF QB. Now its barely top 10 and guys like Kyle Orton are doing it.

Joe Flacco
Matt Ryan
Kyle Orton
Carson Palmer (3900)
Matt Schaub (4300)

yeah, that's my point. the game has changed. at one point, 3600 yards would have been a top 5 season, and likely would have been accomplished by a truly elite or HOF QB. Now its barely top 10 and guys like Kyle Orton are doing it.

Orton didn't even need a full season to do it. I think Tebow played the final two or three games, didn't he?
Boy would it be fun to see some of our old Niner offenses playing with today's rules. Wow

Joe Flacco
Matt Ryan
Kyle Orton
Carson Palmer (3900)
Matt Schaub (4300)

What's even more dumb is that all these analyst don't factor that in. They think because Smith isn't on a "this era" pace, then he is being hidden or sucks. They also over look the ratio that if Smith DID throw as much as these guys, he would own them or that these guys are inconsistent BECAUSE they throw too much.
[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 16, 2011 at 10:05 AM ]
Just for fun, here are the # of guys who have thrown for more than 3600 yards since 1980:

1980: 3
1981: 6
1982: 0 (strike year)
1983: 5
1984: 6
1985: 7
1986: 5
1987: 0 (strike year)

1988: 3
1989: 5
1990: 3:
1991: 3
1992: 1
1993: 2:
1994: 7
1995 9:
1996: 5
1997: 6
1998: 6
1999: 7
2000: 9
2001: 8
2002: 8
2003: 6
2004: 10
2005: 8
2006: 6
2007: 9
2008: 10
2009: 15--10 players over 4,000
2010: 11
Loved watching Dan Fouts QB but he didn't win championships. Many of the top passers were never in the super bowl or lost as Kelly and Elway did (until Elway learned how to win). Stats are deceiving!
Eric_Branch Eric Branch

The worldwide leader has found a team in San Francisco. bit.ly/vc4QMI #49ers

And the attention keeps coming!
Getting major love from the NFL Network. Wow.
What did they say?
WOW OMG

Can someone sum up what was said?
OH MY f**kING GODDDD!!!
What they say?? Please!!
http://www.firstrowsports.tv/watch/49037/1/watch-nfl-network.html
Omg. That was unbelievable. Geez I'm shocked
Share 49ersWebzone