There are 62 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Can the Niners attain No. 1 seed in NFC?

It is possible but I don't think so. Frankly, #2 seed is way above an expectations most on the zone had anyway.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
It is possible but I don't think so. Frankly, #2 seed is way above an expectations most on the zone had anyway.

THIS
Originally posted by Kense:
In the NFL nobody is invincible, anybody can lose to anybody but there are elite teams and Green bay is one of them. Not sure how you can call the 49ers balanced when the passing offense is second to last. The Steelers are the most balanced team in the league.

Elite teams do not have the 31st ranked passing defense when facing bottom dwelling teams. They have a great passing game, but are not very good in other departments. Elite teams do not get shut out in the second half by the worst defense in football like the second half they had against the Rams. We are better than the Packers in two important areas, defense as a whole and special teams. Not saying we are elite either, but the Packers are by no means anywhere as good as the Niners on defense or special teams.
No way are we going to finish higher than the packers...pains me to type this but its the truth I'm a realist. But when playoffs come anything can happen.
Originally posted by REDnWHITE29:
No way are we going to finish higher than the packers...pains me to type this but its the truth I'm a realist. But when playoffs come anything can happen.

so what did your "realist" opinion say our record would be before the season started??
If they get a bye week, Iwould be extremely happy and shocked that I may just die.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,231
If we make the playoffs im gonna be very very excited. We are built for playoff football.

Either way if we get a bye then a home game we are set. Who woulda thought we'd be a 2 seed?
LINK
How the 49ers can achieve the #1 seed:

3. Record vs. common opponents, minimum of 4 games.

This is where things lean towards the 49ers IF they end up with the same record as Green Bay.

The 49ers and Packers have four common foes: Detroit, Tampa Bay, St. Louis and the NY Giants.

The 49ers are 3-0 vs. those teams and have two games against St. Louis to come, which do not seem very threatening.

And IF the Packers lose one, it seems relatively likely that it could or would come on the road against the Lions or Giants.

Green Bay is 1-0 against the common teams, and plays Tampa on Sunday in Green Bay, plays at the NY Giants, and has a home-and-home against Detroit.

* Yes, if the 49ers win out and the Packers lose to Detroit or the Giants, the 49ers would win the tie-breaker and get the No. 1 seed.
[ Edited by 49erDynasty on Nov 18, 2011 at 5:27 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erDynasty:
LINK
How the 49ers can achieve the #1 seed:
Quote:

3. Record vs. common opponents, minimum of 4 games.

This is where things lean towards the 49ers IF they end up with the same record as Green Bay.

The 49ers and Packers have four common foes: Detroit, Tampa Bay, St. Louis and the NY Giants.

The 49ers are 3-0 vs. those teams and have two games against St. Louis to come, which do not seem very threatening.

And IF the Packers lose one, it seems relatively likely that it could or would come on the road against the Lions or Giants.

Green Bay is 1-0 against the common teams, and plays Tampa on Sunday in Green Bay, plays at the NY Giants, and has a home-and-home against Detroit.

* Yes, if the 49ers win out and the Packers lose to Detroit or the Giants, the 49ers would win the tie-breaker and get the No. 1 seed.

thats what I'm talkin about
this is our year!!!!
Smith is 4th in NFC QBR at home. Does this mean the 9ers might do well at home or in GB if it comes to that? 9ers D and ST are better and our O is doing nicely and improving as the year goes on. It may be a matter of which team can put pressure on the QB and I would put money on the 9ers. Pretty exciting. Now, if Gore and the WRs can stay healthy!
I see the Packers losing to the Lions on Thaksgiving and to the Giants and I see us winning out but we can afford to lose to the Steelers or Ravens since they are in the AFC.
Wow! Haven't been watching the standings I guess. 9ers and GB the only two teams with fewer than three losses?! Strange year! 9ers and GB may take a couple of losses to weaker teams as most other good teams have done. Hope not.
It could literally be a Thanksgiving for the 49ers this years: with a 49er win and Packer loss to Detroit on Thanksgiving, the 49ers would become the #1 seed in the NFC and have the best record in the NFL.
[ Edited by 49erDynasty on Nov 21, 2011 at 3:41 AM ]