There are 113 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Caution: are 9ers "playing down" to lesser competition?

Watching the first half Sunday was exciting, but 2nd half it looked like the 9ers took their foot of the necks of the Browns. The O became stagnant, and the D somewhat the same. Yes, we were up by 7 , then 10, but against a really good team would we have won playing just good enough to win in second half? Early on, with win against SEA, I was just happy to get the W, and Ginn was responsible. We lost to Dallas, by a gnat's eyelash, then won against Eagles ...by a gnat's eyelash. We beat up Cincy, and were supposed to be underdogs to first Bucs and then Detroit. 49ers were jacked up for both those games, we played out of our skulls, (unless Bucs were way over rated, which i believe, but still not pushovers), and the Detroit game was just a thriller, with the D dominating their O and our O dominating their D(even with Suh and vandenbosch). We looked spectacular, and then came the Browns. First half our guys came to play, but 2nd half it just looked half hearted. In fact, after dominating the browns in first half, it looked like we "played down" to their level in the 2nd half.

Overlooking an opponent is not something this team has had to worry about the last 8 yrs. Now, I wonder. Redskins are not a powerhouse, but NYG are best team in East conference. I would hope that Coach Harbaugh reminds his guys not to look ahead, and when playing the Skins, if we get on top, finish them off. Once a team lets up, then it can happen again. At no time during the Bucs or Detroit games did our guys look like they were thinking about any other team. They were on a mission, and it was completed in style and with verve. I would hate to see the 9ers suddenly "play down" to the level of the Skins and get skinned. Coach has to remind his guys that all 60 minutes count and letting up, even against the Browns, is not something we should repeat.
they definitely seemed complacent in the second half. Almost like they were bored.
[ Edited by ChazBoner on Nov 1, 2011 at 1:23 PM ]
Could the 2nd half been better? Of course.

But make no mistake. At no point were the Browns close to being in this game.

They were completely and utterly dominated in all phases. The score does not tell the entire story.
played too much prevent in the second half and our offense looked like it didnt give a s**t lol. i doubt harbaugh lets it happen again though. i expect a scorched earth asswhoopin this week for the sorry ass redskins
Originally posted by okdkid:
Could the 2nd half been better? Of course.

But make no mistake. At no point were the Browns close to being in this game.

They were completely and utterly dominated in all phases. The score does not tell the entire story.

You must have not watched the game. The Browns adjustments at the half stymied the run game, if not for Soaps catch that lead to a field goal and Goldson's clutch interception it would be a different game.
  • DRnSFw
  • Veteran
FREDDIE P SOFT made his apperance! JH is full of Shyt saying he didn't
They were playing eat the clock in the second half...
There was nothing soft about us in the second.half. They made adjustments and we didnt.
Maybe they were pissed off they didn't have 24 points at the half. I know I was at halftime and during the 2nd half
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I felt they got complacent in the 2nd half and I was a bit annoyed, but I was only annoyed because it could have been another blowout. I prefer to watch Niner games with out the heart attacks and the slight raise in blood pressure at the end of this game was unnecessary. I never really felt as if we'd lose the game and sure enough when we needed a drive on O we got it, put up the 3 points and ended the game in a rather business like fashion.

The team has shown it can make plays when needed. Even if the Browns came all the way back I still feel we would have eventually made the plays to win the game.

As far as playing down to competition I really don't know. This assumes we are much better than who we're playing, but I don't feel that way right now. I feel we can beat any team in the league but I also feel any team in the league can beat us.

I think as a team, from coaching all the way down to the waterboys, we felt and knew we'd win.the game but we wn't be able to do that every week, it just happened to be one of those games where we pulled out the win. It could easily bite us in the ass later down the line.
They got bored in the second and took their foot off the gas.
No. Alex missed a few throws that would have blown the game open.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Alex doesn't miss throws, it was Crabtree's fault for not being ten feet tall.
I think maybe the bye threw them off a bit. They had six days off which is a long time.

This year teams have been rusty after they bye probably because the league instituted a mandatory 4 day off for players. In prior years, a bye week usually led to wins.

I think they play even better now, they are healthier and we have Braylon back.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Joecool:

Alex doesn't miss throws, it was Crabtree's fault for not being ten feet tall.

hahahaha