There are 171 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Harbaugh the best coach we've had since Seifert?

Is Harbaugh the best coach we've had since Seifert?

Well....I might get blasted for this, but so far he's probably the best coach since Walsh.

There is a long road ahead, but so far he's that good.

I was never a huge fan of Siefert. He just kinda took the reigns and the player ran the show. I really liked Mariucci.

Both of those guys tho maintained the greatness. They didn't have to BUILD it. They didn't have to turn it around.

Many of the pieces were already here for Harbaugh, but he's the one who has been able to use it effectively and put those guys in a position to succeed.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Well....I might get blasted for this, but so far he's probably the best coach since Walsh.

I was never a huge fan of Siefert. He just kinda took the reigns and the player ran the show. I really liked Mariucci.

Both of those guys tho maintained the greatness. They didn't have to BUILD it. They didn't have to turn it around.

Many of the pieces were already here for Harbaugh, but he's the one who has been able to use it effectively and put those guys in a position to succeed.

To take a somewhat different take on it; Harbaugh hasn't "built" anything. He has just taken the same pieces that were here for Nolan/Singletary and made them work.
Originally posted by dj43:

To take a somewhat different take on it; Harbaugh hasn't "built" anything. He has just taken the same pieces that were here for Nolan/Singletary and made them work.

I said that in the last line.
ask me in 3 years, I'll vote then

Yes, I did rather restate what you said. I guess I wasn't reading as well as I should have.

Yes, I did rather restate what you said. I guess I wasn't reading as well as I should have.

No worries.
Easily. We haven't had any other good ones. Mooch was cool, but had no killer instinct.

But you cant knock Seifert down because he didnt take over a crappy team. he was one of Walsh's main guys from 1980 when they sucked, and then was given the task to follow his act. he responded by going 14-2, 14-2, 10-6, 14-2, 10-6. 13-3. 11-5, 12-4 with 2 super bowl titles in 8 seasons. at some point you have to say just because Walsh drew up the blueprints doesnt mean it wasnt extremely challenging to maintain the success that was expected.

Walsh: 92-59-1, 10 playoff wins, 3 rings.
Seifert: 98-30-0, 10 playoff wins, 2 rings.
Mariucci: 57-39, 3 playoff wins, 0 rings.

I really have no idea why Seifert gets dumped on so much by Niner fans. Walsh retires, he takes over. hes never going to be able to live up to running the team like Walsh did, so he gave it his best shot, and won more games, lost less games, won the same amount of playoff games, and won just 1 less title, all in 2 fewer seasons than Walsh. Seifert is overrated? give me a break. nobody is trying to say hes better than Walsh, but he was a great coach. his .766 winning% with the 49ers wouldve ranked him 1st all time before he took over the talentless, newly started Carolina Panthers.
When you realize what Mooch had to deal with, you realize that Harbaugh has a long way to go.

With that in mind, 7 games in, Harbaugh hasn't done much yet to pass any kind of judgment.
[ Edited by kray28 on Nov 1, 2011 at 5:56 PM ]
I liked Seifert a lot, but Coach Harbaugh is way better in that he can coach any position on the field. Nobody except Coach Walsh could do that, and that is what i think we have now, a younger Walsh, still inexperienced, but sky is the limit. Also, the HC HAS to be an OC, because great OCs disappear yrly, or in Norv's case, even mediocre OCs disappear in a yr. With your HC your OC, it doesn't matter if the official "OC" moves on. There is no loss of continuity. And even tho Fangio has done a great job, JH has been there all the way, calling game plans, setting Ds, getting the right players together, sensing which D set works and which doesn't each week, etc. In a short sentence, JH is a lock for Coach of the yr.
Mooch was a better coach than people think. He inherited one of the oldest teams in the NFL that had about two years left in the tank. He re-built the entire team in only 2 years to make us competitive again in 2001/2002 -- and if he wasn't fired we may have made a run in 2003. We lost 5 -- FIVE -- games by a field goal or less in 2003 and another by a TD. If we gave him the extension we would have muddled through the 00s as a 8, 9, 10, 11 win team -- maybe better if we drafted a replacement for Garcia.

Imagine an alternate universe where Mooch never leaves and we draft Matt Schaub in 2004 in the 3rd round.
I still respect Mooch ..he came in and tweaked things a bit and made us more of a power running team and won some playoff games

But Harbaugh seems to be on track to be a successful coach, he is finding ways to win games with players that were already on the roster, he didnt need to overhaul the team to do things his way, he came in and got our boys playing good solid football
Originally posted by Niners99:

But you cant knock Seifert down because he didnt take over a crappy team. he was one of Walsh's main guys from 1980 when they sucked, and then was given the task to follow his act. he responded by going 14-2, 14-2, 10-6, 14-2, 10-6. 13-3. 11-5, 12-4 with 2 super bowl titles in 8 seasons. at some point you have to say just because Walsh drew up the blueprints doesnt mean it wasnt extremely challenging to maintain the success that was expected.

Walsh: 92-59-1, 10 playoff wins, 3 rings.
Seifert: 98-30-0, 10 playoff wins, 2 rings.
Mariucci: 57-39, 3 playoff wins, 0 rings.

I really have no idea why Seifert gets dumped on so much by Niner fans. Walsh retires, he takes over. hes never going to be able to live up to running the team like Walsh did, so he gave it his best shot, and won more games, lost less games, won the same amount of playoff games, and won just 1 less title, all in 2 fewer seasons than Walsh. Seifert is overrated? give me a break. nobody is trying to say hes better than Walsh, but he was a great coach. his .766 winning% with the 49ers wouldve ranked him 1st all time before he took over the talentless, newly started Carolina Panthers.

Yes, but he also went to Carolina and bombed in a big way.

I'm not saying I don't like him, I'm just saying I think Harbaugh is better.
Was Seifert a game manager? I dont recall him ever being animated on the sidelines.
I really can't believe what I'm reading here. Harbaugh's won SIX games and he's the best since Walsh? Siefert "sucked" although he came within one fumble and (I insist here) one phantom holding call from bringing the team to 4 SBs (and I'm sure Buffalo wouldn't have stood a chance against us in 90 & 92)? The pathetic 86 & 87 blowout losses are conveniently forgotten, and yet Siefert is dismissed for giving the ball to Roger to run the clock out in 90 - the same Roger who scored all those touchdowns in the 84 SB and who went 1000/1000 yards a couple years back

Oh, Siefert wasn't "animated", sure. George was famously Olympian, even when Steve Young was ripping him just behind him in plain sight of the TV cameras after getting pulled in that 40-8 loss to Philly. Some of us take such displays as evidence of maturity and control. Every person has his style. Harbaugh likes to untuck his shirt? Good. But I'm sure that had we lost some of those close games now we would be ripping him for being an immature idiot. I recall people creaming their pants about Nolan's "sideline suit" thing when we were 5-5 in 2006 or 2-0 early in 07, and then calling him "Coach SUIT" after we started losing again.

The only measure of greatness is Ws. Harbaugh has six of those, and I'm as ecstatic as anyone about them here, particularly since I was expecting us to get six in the whole season, not by Halloween. But Siefert won ninety-eight, including ten playoff wins and two rings. I'll take this kind of "suckiness", any day.