There are 54 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

I knew we were good on Special Teams, but . . . .

Originally posted by StLNiner:
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Yep agreed.....hope we can get a ST TD on the Browns come Sunday.....

Initially I thought you had written "hope we can get a STD on the Browns"

I meant that....just have one our Cheerleaders go to their lockeroom before the game.....
  • dj43
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,131
Originally posted by MaliCali:
Brad Seely is deserving of most the credit. He was a mostly unheralded coaching hire with all the other names brought in.
Seely is one of those guys that only insiders hear about. He took a lot of the guys that were here last season and turned them into a great unit. I recall someone referring to the fact the players call him "Professor" out of respect for his depth of knowledge about ST play.

Also, the 49ers have recently favored quicker, faster, more agile players in mid-to-lower round draft picks for the specific reason that they tend to make better ST players.

Another factor that helps ST performance is that a 3-4 team carries at least one more LB than DL which also allows for better ST play.

All part of the plan...
[ Edited by dj43 on Oct 28, 2011 at 12:50 PM ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
In my personal opinion, Gin is a very good and fast return man. However, he isn't particularly strong or quick. I would tak Hester or Cribbs over him all day, every day. I think those guys would go beast mode on our team. Either way, I'm very happy.

I wouldn't. I love me some Ted Ginn!!!
Originally posted by dj43:
Seely is one of those guys that only insiders hear about. He took a lot of the guys that were here last season and turned them into a great unit. I recall someone referring to the fact the players call him "Professor" out of respect for his depth of knowledge about ST play.

Also, the 49ers have recently favored quicker, faster, more agile players in mid-to-lower round draft picks for the specific reason that they tend to make better ST players.

Another factor that helps ST performance is that a 3-4 team carries at least one more LB than DL which also allows for better ST play.

All part of the plan...

Good points. Also, the front office and rest of the staff including Harbaugh have given Seely enough authority to give him guys he wants specifically for special teams play. That is one of the reasons we signed someone like Blake Costanzo in free agency who was *surprise* in Cleveland before coming to us, together with Seely. Constanzo might never be a standout linebacker (he has a tackle total of 46 in five NFL seasons, which would be around two, maybe three Patrick Willis games ), but he plays special teams very well and I think he has already proving his worth by tackling opponents return guys deep in their own territory, thus giving us excellent field position time and time again. Seely gets great production out of guys like him and our staff was smart enough to give Seely enough players like this to help him succeed.
Aside from Hester, there is not a single PR/KR better than Ted Ginn. The statistics validate this.

He doesn't need to be "strong" or go into "beast mode". He just needs to return punts and kicks at an elite level. He does this nearly every game. Cribbs is simply not at Ginn's level.
field postion is one of the most important things in winning football game, IMO... its got to be the main reason the 9ers average close to 28 points a game, also goes for the reason alex smith's passing yards aren't very impressive..

does it always seem like the offense is starting drives on like our own 45 or better almost every time?? big reason for starting 5-1
Originally posted by StLNiner:
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Yep agreed.....hope we can get a ST TD on the Browns come Sunday.....

Initially I thought you had written "hope we can get a STD on the Browns"

Originally posted by StLNiner:
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Yep agreed.....hope we can get a ST TD on the Browns come Sunday.....

Initially I thought you had written "hope we can get a STD on the Browns"

They will catch VD or Crabs this Sunday .
Originally posted by SF4EVA:
Originally posted by StLNiner:
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Yep agreed.....hope we can get a ST TD on the Browns come Sunday.....

Initially I thought you had written "hope we can get a STD on the Browns"

They will catch VD or Crabs this Sunday .

I hope we preform the clap maneuver on them Sunday.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
By The Numbers: 1 and 1—The 49ers are first in the league with seven punt returns of 20 yards or more and first in the league in kickoff return average with 30.9 yards per return.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=teamreports-2011-nfl-sfo

That's a pretty legit argument that Ginn is the best returner in the league, despite the Hester hype.


I think he needs to run a few more back for TD's before we can say he's better than Hester.
Originally posted by eastie:
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
By The Numbers: 1 and 1—The 49ers are first in the league with seven punt returns of 20 yards or more and first in the league in kickoff return average with 30.9 yards per return.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=teamreports-2011-nfl-sfo

That's a pretty legit argument that Ginn is the best returner in the league, despite the Hester hype.


I think he needs to run a few more back for TD's before we can say he's better than Hester.

Yeah He needs to get to the point where the D would rather kick it out of bounds!!!
Resign Ginn ASAP. Should I get his jersey as well as: Aldon Smith, Justin Smith, Carlos Rogers, and Navarro Bowman?
Originally posted by MaliCali:
Brad Seely is deserving of most the credit. He was a mostly unheralded coaching hire with all the other names brought in.

This. Very underrated hire by Harbaugh.
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by Psinex:
It pissed me off when people would say, "Cut Ginn, just stick Kyle Williams or Phillip Adams back there".
How could anyone forget the Dark Ages with Arnaz Battle and Delanie Walker returning punts and kickoffs?
We had the LOWEST return average in the entire league! Not to mention, game-changing fumbles on returns
like Phillip Adams backbreaking fumble against New Orleans last year.

Now we're number one in the entire freakin league. Ginn is the man.

this

exactly
Ginn without a doubt is good. The rest of ST is also very good.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home