There are 106 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who should start if we clinch playoffs?

Who should start if we clinch playoffs?

Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Honestly, Harbaugh doesn't really seem like a rest your starters when the game doesn't really count kinda guy.

This, plus even if we nearly win out we will be fighting to the bitter end for home field. Even if it isn't home field throughout a bye would be awesome. Going to be tough to out do the Packers but it would be nice if we ended up playing Saints, DET, etc in round 2 we would have home field. Would increase our odds of going to the NFCCG a lot. That's getting way ahead of our selves though... as for resting players doubt Harbaugh does it and I wouldn't want him to. Well, maybe some guys but not Alex... he needs all the practice he can get for playoff time.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 23, 2011 at 9:44 PM ]
Originally posted by MaliCali:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
this is by far the stupidest thread ive ever seen on here. why the f**k would we change out the QB who took us to the playoffs for two unproven backups? Think.

If you have a first round bye and either can't clinch or already have home field throughout, there is no real reason to risk starters to injuries, especially since we will be playing division rivals who will want to make a season ending statement.

Of course, I have no problem keeping the pedal down, and I believe that will probably be Harbaughs MO, however, we saw the risk of that with Morgan.

Yes, there is. Keeping continuity is extremely important.
this is by far the stupidest thread ive ever seen on here. why the f**k would we change out the QB who took us to the playoffs for two unproven backups? Think.

Even more scary some people voted for the backups...
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Even more scary some people voted for the backups...

Scarier still is how many tools thinks he meant putting in a backup for the playoffs. Not the meaningless two or so games prior.
In prior years, back when we were dominating the league. We would play the starters for the first half, backup qb start of the 3rd qtr, slowly pulled skill position starters out in the 3rd qtr, offensive line starters out at the start of 4th.
Originally posted by andes14:
Playoffs are a whole different ball game. You don't wanna travel to Lambeau in January.

Why not? These 9ers will march into Lambeau and win just like the 84 9ers did the Giants on December 29th.

This, my mind almost blew up thinking about how this thread was even created.
Seems to me that people did not understand the question...

He's not asking to bench Smith during the playoffs, but to bench him for one of our back ups if we clinch and are looking to avoid key injuries...

Think!
Troll
I think we are going to be fighting for the bye much longer than we are fighting for the division. Alex finishes this year off. Maybe go with Colin in week 17.
Originally posted by prime21:
Originally posted by andes14:
Playoffs are a whole different ball game. You don't wanna travel to Lambeau in January.

Why not? These 9ers will march into Lambeau and win just like the 84 9ers did the Giants on December 29th.

that was actually the '85 Niners team that went in the Meadowlands vs the G-men for the wild card game...they lost like 17-3 IIRC (buncha injuries from the previous week's game vs Dallas ) that was also the last hurrah for the early 80's Niners team (Solomon, Dean, Hacksaw, etc), changing of the guard to Rice (rookie year) and of course the following season's '86 draft...as for the '84 Niners, they were 15-1, had homefield throughout and didn't have to travel anywhere...

a better comparison would probably be the '88 Niners...they had to go to Soldier Field in frigid Chicago, but kicked the Bears' ass anyways