There are 187 users in the forums

Who should start if we clinch playoffs?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who should start if we clinch playoffs?

Originally posted by MaliCali:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
this is by far the stupidest thread ive ever seen on here. why the f**k would we change out the QB who took us to the playoffs for two unproven backups? Think.

If you have a first round bye and either can't clinch or already have home field throughout, there is no real reason to risk starters to injuries, especially since we will be playing division rivals who will want to make a season ending statement.

Of course, I have no problem keeping the pedal down, and I believe that will probably be Harbaughs MO, however, we saw the risk of that with Morgan.

so you want to bench the hot hand and possibly disrupt the rhythm of the team? i think were gonna clinch our division earlier than most other divisions but were still gonna be competing for that first round bye. i expect green bay, the saints and possibly detroit to be in the mix for it by the end of the year. Harbaugh is a finisher, i dont see him pulling smith in any game unless were up by 30 or so with 5 minutes left
If we only clinch playoffs? The f**k kinda question is that?!
  • mike
  • Veteran
this is by far the stupidest thread ive ever seen on here. why the f**k would we change out the QB who took us to the playoffs for two unproven backups? Think.

If you have a first round bye and either can't clinch or already have home field throughout, there is no real reason to risk starters to injuries, especially since we will be playing division rivals who will want to make a season ending statement.

Of course, I have no problem keeping the pedal down, and I believe that will probably be Harbaughs MO, however, we saw the risk of that with Morgan.

so you want to bench the hot hand and possibly disrupt the rhythm of the team? i think were gonna clinch our division earlier than most other divisions but were still gonna be competing for that first round bye. i expect green bay, the saints and possibly detroit to be in the mix for it by the end of the year. Harbaugh is a finisher, i dont see him pulling smith in any game unless were up by 30 or so with 5 minutes left

What if green bay pretty much has several wins over us for the bye? Like they're still a perfect 12-0 and we're 10-2. I wouldn't mind letting kaep start a game so that we can make sure smith stays healthy going into the playoffs and so that we can evaluate what we really have in colin.
[ Edited by mike on Oct 23, 2011 at 2:35 PM ]
Originally posted by mike:

What if green bay pretty much has several wins over us for the bye? Like they're still a perfect 12-0 and we're 10-2. I wouldn't mind letting kaep start a game so that we can make sure smith stays healthy going into the playoffs and so that we can evaluate what we really have in colin.

Exactly, there are a variety of scenarios that could rationalize doing either...pretty sure that's why OP started the thread. He just needed some more clarification for some folks, clearly.

What if green bay pretty much has several wins over us for the bye? I wouldn't mind letting kaep start a game so that we can make sure smith stays healthy going into the playoffs and so that we can evaluate what we really have in colin.

first of all i dont think anyone is gonna run away with it, its gonna be a fight by the end of the year unless someone falls apart. i still dont think killing momentum by pulling a starting QB is a good idea. im not sure of the statistics but id imagine teams that did that didnt win a superbowl most times. football is a game of momentum and if youve got it you shouldnt give it up. just ask the bucs after they recovered a fumble, took a breath and then gave carlos rogers a pick 6 and completely quit after that lol

Pretty sure I'd rather ensure a first round bye

too soon
lets clinch first

hes saying to protect alex till playoffs
If they are 12-0 and we are 10-2 we could still get home field, so yea... Pedal down, but if we have a bye but no shot at home field(or even already have it) in say week 16-17 ... You could easily make a case for both decisions. If you disagree I will be convinced you haven't watched much football

only bench aleX when we clinch the Super Bowl.

/thread
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
only bench aleX when we clinch the Super Bowl victory

/thread

Fixed*
Understandable, but there is absolutely no way he meant that. He used the word clinch, which implys prior to actually being IN..lol

+1

No, we need all the reps we can get.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Oct 23, 2011 at 2:48 PM ]
bye weeks suck big a$$, because we get threads like this one...
Share 49ersWebzone