There are 267 users in the forums

Drops through week 6 for the Niners

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by gamechanger:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Lions had 7 drops today and Stadford still found a way to win and put up big numbers.

Good QBs find a way to get it done because every team drops passes not just the Niners.

Very odd that you would resurrect this old thread for this. First, I'll say that I stopped keeping track of this for two reasons. One is, we already know that we are a team that drops the ball a ton... and now we know that certain sources are not thorough on the drop counts they present. Secondly, without actually keeping thorough track of all drops from every other team.. well there's not much point in further doing so to compare our team.

Anyway and to your point, let me ask you this... how many pass attempts did Stafford have yesterday? Don't bother to check... it was 52 attempts. See where I'm going with this? The Niners are in the bottom tier for receiver drops... and yet we attempt far fewer passes than so many other teams.

Think about it.

That will hurt his brain, all he sees is the amount of drops and didn't even take the time to see how many attempts were made. As simple as it is to comprehend some people just can't do it.

Drops are blown out of proportion on this board.

26 drops out of 365 pass attempts isn't that bad.

The range from fifth worse in the league to twenty second worse is only 7 dropped passses.

Niners are the sixth worse with 25.

25 drops in 13 games aint bad. 1.9 drops a game

Nope its not as bad as the posters here made it seem.

We drop about 7% of our passes. (26 divided by 360 pass attempts)

In comparison, GB, who throws way more, drops about 5%. (25 drops divided by 437 pass attempts)

2% difference isn't significant.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Dec 19, 2011 at 1:05 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by islam:
Lions had 7 drops today and Stadford still found a way to win and put up big numbers.

Good QBs find a way to get it done because every team drops passes not just the Niners.

The fact that the moderators let Sissyweel continue to post, shows that the moderators cant be taken seriously.

why you mad ?

oh wait never mind.
  • islam
  • Veteran

The fact that the moderators let Sissyweel continue to post, shows that the moderators cant be taken seriously.

why you mad ?

oh wait never mind.

Susweel is a moderator, that why he has not been banned yet

why you mad ?

oh wait never mind.

No. It is because he, generally, attacks the post and not the poster.

Please PM the mods if you have issues. Thanks.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Very odd that you would resurrect this old thread for this. First, I'll say that I stopped keeping track of this for two reasons. One is, we already know that we are a team that drops the ball a ton... and now we know that certain sources are not thorough on the drop counts they present. Secondly, without actually keeping thorough track of all drops from every other team.. well there's not much point in further doing so to compare our team.

Anyway and to your point, let me ask you this... how many pass attempts did Stafford have yesterday? Don't bother to check... it was 52 attempts. See where I'm going with this? The Niners are in the bottom tier for receiver drops... and yet we attempt far fewer passes than so many other teams.

Think about it.

That will hurt his brain, all he sees is the amount of drops and didn't even take the time to see how many attempts were made. As simple as it is to comprehend some people just can't do it.

The range from fifth worse in the league to twenty second worse is only 7 dropped passses.

In comparison, GB, who throws way more, drops about 5%. (25 drops divided by 437 pass attempts)

Eh, no matter how you look at it, you've got to admit it's not exactly a stat to brag about.

Also, the drop stat doesn't factor in quality. Would the catch have converted a third down? Would the catch have been a touchdown? Would the catch have extended a drive at the end of the fourth quarter?

You don't want your receivers dropping passes.
  • islam
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

why you mad ?

oh wait never mind.

That is completely false....The forum is noticing .....
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

why you mad ?

oh wait never mind.

Originally posted by Wodwo:

Think about it.

Eh, no matter how you look at it, you've got to admit it's not exactly a stat to brag about.

Also, the drop stat doesn't factor in quality. Would the catch have converted a third down? Would the catch have been a touchdown? Would the catch have extended a drive at the end of the fourth quarter?

You don't want your receivers dropping passes.

Of course its a bad stat and nothing to brag about. Its sad. But we have bigger concerns on this team then that.

My point was that some posters in here believe our drops are sooo bad that it has actually cost us games and significantly lowered the QB numbers. In comparison to other teams, we are not that far from the worst and not that far from the best.

The drops do have different significance. I can only comment about the niner drops since i watch all the games.

I don't recall any drops costing us a game. Delanie Walker's drop against the Lions i think was the biggest one this year, but we were able to make up for it.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Dec 19, 2011 at 1:31 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

why you mad ?

oh wait never mind.

N4N is right though, I do generally attack the post and not the poster but every now and then I do slip up and they do warn me.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Of course its a bad stat and nothing to brag about. Its sad. But we have bigger concerns on this team then that.

My point was that some posters in here believe our drops are sooo bad that it has actually cost us games and significantly lowered the QB numbers. In comparison to other teams, we are not that far from the worst and not that far from the best.

The drops do have different significance. I can only comment about the niner drops since i watch all the games.

I don't recall any drops costing us a game. Delanie Walker's drop against the Lions i think was the biggest one this year, but we were able to make up for it.

Well, the problem with the argument on both sides is that the statistic is going to be subjective in it's interpretation.

It certainly can be seen as a detriment to a quarterback, which makes Aaron Rodger's season that much more impressive. However, you are correct that the differential can be seen as minor or insignificant. It depends on how you want to interpret the data and what method you use to extrapolate a QB's statistics with a percentage of drops removed.

In the end, it's an impossible argument to win for either side. We simply don't know what the outcome would be if a certain percentage of dropped passes were caught because each drop is unique and with such a limited sample size it's impossible to statistically predict anything.

The bottom line is that a high rate of dropped passes is bad and it's going to effect a QB's statistics. The true statistical impact is irrelevant because it isn't quantifiable.

why you mad ?

oh wait never mind.

That is completely false....The forum is noticing .....

Perhaps you should post elsewhere.....
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
N4N is right though, I do generally attack the post and not the poster but every now and then I do slip up and they do warn me.

I know, bro... no worries.

I was teasing NineFourNiner because he was defending something when there was evidence to the contrary two posts above his. It wasn't personal.

Anyway, everyone knows you don't attack people often... that's not your MO. You just like to push people's buttons.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

He probably does, silly. Teh intarwebs is big.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

He probably does, silly. Teh intarwebs is big.

Don't know why he is picking a fight with me or the Mods. Dude needs to chill out.

Well, the problem with the argument on both sides is that the statistic is going to be subjective in it's interpretation.

It certainly can be seen as a detriment to a quarterback, which makes Aaron Rodger's season that much more impressive. However, you are correct that the differential can be seen as minor or insignificant. It depends on how you want to interpret the data and what method you use to extrapolate a QB's statistics with a percentage of drops removed.

In the end, it's an impossible argument to win for either side. We simply don't know what the outcome would be if a certain percentage of dropped passes were caught because each drop is unique and with such a limited sample size it's impossible to statistically predict anything.

The bottom line is that a high rate of dropped passes is bad and it's going to effect a QB's statistics. The true statistical impact is irrelevant because it isn't quantifiable.

I can dig it.

We can agree at the least that the drops haven't been too tragic since we are indeed 10-3.

I think ints, fumbles, muffed punts, and penalties are much worse then drops. We have avoided these types of mistakes, although i think we get more penalties then we should.
Share 49ersWebzone