There are 207 users in the forums

Drops through week 6 for the Niners

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by OffTargetThrows:
Truly laughable statement. We won the DET game despite Alex's accuracy.

Its obvious you just want a reaction. Alex's inaccuracy led to drops but it also led to the game winning TD, thats not one of those "in spite" of moments... had we just ran and ran never needing the 4th down play from him then you could argue that statement, but in the end Alex stepped up and delivered a great ball, followed by a great catch and great effort to get accross the goal line... end of story.

Detroit is a perfect example of one of the watershed games for Alex. Lineman misses a block, followed by penalties, followed by a inaccurate pass, then his receivers start dropping perfectly catchable balls... next thing you know Alex starts trying too hard and overthrows everything in sight. But to start the game Alex was actually pretty accurate, his receivers and RB's dropped some pretty easy catches. Then Mr. Tries-to-hard appears and he puts way too much on all his throws and loses most of his touch. If his receivers can start making the catches they are supposed to make early in the game to sustain drives, there will be allot more games like Tampa and allot less like Detroit.

Without typing too much 3 specific plays pop into my head that would have bailed Alex out and kept him from reverting to his old self. There was a check down to Gore that hit him in the numbers with room to run, dropped. The DW TD drop where he had his hands turned over the wrong way. Among a couple others, one play that would have been a great play had Crabtree been able to make it was the double tap... Crabtree was focusing on the pylon & TD but instead of posting up on his left leg (which caused the double tap) had he just fallen to the ground and focused on tapping his right foot inbounds... the ball is at the 1 yard line. Now Crabtree was off balance and I forget the down and distance so it may have still been a FG attempt, but players need to do a better job of securing the yards before going for the TD. At times, the offense as a whole seemed to revert to last years mentality of "gotta make a big play" rather than taking the yards the defense gave them.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Its obvious you just want a reaction. Alex's inaccuracy led to drops but it also led to the game winning TD, thats not one of those "in spite" of moments... had we just ran and ran never needing the 4th down play from him then you could argue that statement, but in the end Alex stepped up and delivered a great ball, followed by a great catch and great effort to get accross the goal line... end of story.

Detroit is a perfect example of one of the watershed games for Alex. Lineman misses a block, followed by penalties, followed by a inaccurate pass, then his receivers start dropping perfectly catchable balls... next thing you know Alex starts trying too hard and overthrows everything in sight. But to start the game Alex was actually pretty accurate, his receivers and RB's dropped some pretty easy catches. Then Mr. Tries-to-hard appears and he puts way too much on all his throws and loses most of his touch. If his receivers can start making the catches they are supposed to make early in the game to sustain drives, there will be allot more games like Tampa and allot less like Detroit.

Without typing too much 3 specific plays pop into my head that would have bailed Alex out and kept him from reverting to his old self. There was a check down to Gore that hit him in the numbers with room to run, dropped. The DW TD drop where he had his hands turned over the wrong way. Among a couple others, one play that would have been a great play had Crabtree been able to make it was the double tap... Crabtree was focusing on the pylon & TD but instead of posting up on his left leg (which caused the double tap) had he just fallen to the ground and focused on tapping his right foot inbounds... the ball is at the 1 yard line. Now Crabtree was off balance and I forget the down and distance so it may have still been a FG attempt, but players need to do a better job of securing the yards before going for the TD. At times, the offense as a whole seemed to revert to last years mentality of "gotta make a big play" rather than taking the yards the defense gave them.

Agree with those 3 passes but there was another pass that would have been a big gain to Crabs down the sideline that was delivered perfectly over the outstretched arms of the db. The replay showed the db's hands up but the ball fell perfectly over them and right thru Crabs hands. A tough catch with the db's hands up but we really need to make those grabs. It either keeps Mo or starts to build it and would give the entire O a shot in the arm.

Having said that, I really think Crabs and Alex are gonna start to click more and more, esp. when Brayon comes back.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Lions had 7 drops today and Stadford still found a way to win and put up big numbers.

Good QBs find a way to get it done because every team drops passes not just the Niners.
Originally posted by susweel:
Lions had 7 drops today and Stadford still found a way to win and put up big numbers.

Good QBs find a way to get it done because every team drops passes not just the Niners.

ya but first of all we havent played the raiders pathethic defense

and second we dont have calvin johnson on our team

he had over half of staffords yards and stafford CJ made plays for stafford that game it wasnt the other way around

sighhhh.....++
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

he had over half of staffords yards and stafford CJ made plays for stafford that game it wasnt the other way around

...people look at the stat lines and don't see what CJ did to make Stafford look good. The guy makes adjustments on balls that are in his area and not perfectly placed. Something our WRs need to get better at. He is also tough to take down after he makes the catch and usually gets about 5 extra yards or breaks it for a big gain. Stop looking at the stats and look at how much help he gets from his elite WR!

Edited to add - 52 attempts and only 7 drops LOL, that would be 14 drops if Alex made that many attempts.
[ Edited by gamechanger on Dec 18, 2011 at 9:10 PM ]

I watched the highlights, I say no to Mega being the source of the play. Stafford made great throws that put the ball in nearly perfect locations for CJ to make plays. Also..CJ actually catches balls thrown at him, and makes YAC with nice running, and makes aggressive contact after the catch.
raiders D is OK, they looked tired right at the end, Stafford's/CJ no huddle broke their backs..

Smith doesn't make those plays, that many, end of story. We can only wait to see how the coaching staff responds in the off season to the lack of CONSISTENT play making at the QB position.

In the mean time... BEAT the steeelers...GO NINERS!!
Originally posted by gamechanger:

...people look at the stat lines and don't see what CJ did to make Stafford look good. The guy makes adjustments on balls that are in his area and not perfectly placed. Something our WRs need to get better at. He is also tough to take down after he makes the catch and usually gets about 5 extra yards or breaks it for a big gain. Stop looking at the stats and look at how much help he gets from his elite WR!

Edited to add - 52 attempts and only 7 drops LOL, that would be 14 drops if Alex made that many attempts.
Ohhh man....What I'm talkin bout..spot on..
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:

I watched the highlights, I say no to Mega being the source of the play. Stafford made great throws that put the ball in nearly perfect locations for CJ to make plays. Also..CJ actually catches balls thrown at him, and makes YAC with nice running, and makes aggressive contact after the catch.
raiders D is OK, they looked tired right at the end, Stafford's/CJ no huddle broke their backs..

Smith doesn't make those plays, that many, end of story. We can only wait to see how the coaching staff responds in the off season to the lack of CONSISTENT play making at the QB position.

In the mean time... BEAT the steeelers...GO NINERS!!

In that last drive, Stafford had CJ wide open for a TD and underthrew him by 10 yards, yet CJ being the Megatron he is, still caught it. Our WRs would've let it be picked off.

However, I did give Stafford credit for a great sideline throw before that. He's a very good QB but, from what I've seen, he has a lot more bad misses than Alex (and more great throws). Also helps that he has a far superior OL. Relative to pass attempts, Alex has been sacked almost twice as much.

Very odd that you would resurrect this old thread for this. First, I'll say that I stopped keeping track of this for two reasons. One is, we already know that we are a team that drops the ball a ton... and now we know that certain sources are not thorough on the drop counts they present. Secondly, without actually keeping thorough track of all drops from every other team.. well there's not much point in further doing so to compare our team.

Anyway and to your point, let me ask you this... how many pass attempts did Stafford have yesterday? Don't bother to check... it was 52 attempts. See where I'm going with this? The Niners are in the bottom tier for receiver drops... and yet we attempt far fewer passes than so many other teams.

Think about it.

Is our record not better than the lions? Did we also not win the Lions game? Did you eat moldy cheese?

Better question, if we beat the Steelers tonight will pretend to be an Alex supporter again until the right moment comes to tear him down?
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Very odd that you would resurrect this old thread for this. First, I'll say that I stopped keeping track of this for two reasons. One is, we already know that we are a team that drops the ball a ton... and now we know that certain sources are not thorough on the drop counts they present. Secondly, without actually keeping thorough track of all drops from every other team.. well there's not much point in further doing so to compare our team.

Anyway and to your point, let me ask you this... how many pass attempts did Stafford have yesterday? Don't bother to check... it was 52 attempts. See where I'm going with this? The Niners are in the bottom tier for receiver drops... and yet we attempt far fewer passes than so many other teams.

Think about it.

That will hurt his brain, all he sees is the amount of drops and didn't even take the time to see how many attempts were made. As simple as it is to comprehend some people just can't do it.

Think about it.

That will hurt his brain, all he sees is the amount of drops and didn't even take the time to see how many attempts were made. As simple as it is to comprehend some people just can't do it.

Drops are blown out of proportion on this board.

26 drops out of 365 pass attempts isn't that bad.

The range from fifth worse in the league to twenty second worse is only 7 dropped passses.

Niners are the sixth worse with 25.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Dec 19, 2011 at 12:58 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Think about it.

Drops are blown out of proportion on this board.

26 drops out of 365 pass attempts isn't that bad.

The range from fifth worse in the league to twenty second worse is only 7 dropped passses.

Niners are the sixth worse with 25.

25 drops in 13 games aint bad. 1.9 drops a game
  • islam
  • Veteran

The fact that the moderators let Sissyweel continue to post, shows that the moderators cant be taken seriously.
Share 49ersWebzone