LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 225 users in the forums

Media and the 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Im pretty sure that we wont come close to sniffing 13-3 just because the opponents we have on our schedule are tougher than last year i see a drop off but with all this talent this team is easily a 11-5 10-6 & once the playoffs starts its anybody's game we pick up steam towards the end of the season we can use that to help us in the post season

f*ck Bill Barnwell im bombing his a$$ on Twitter as we speak
The media is wrongly thinking of the 49ers as a team that overachieved last year, when in reality they were a team that severely underachieved the years before.
The lockout argument goes both ways...you could say that under a new coach and system, we had the element of surprise and that now that everyone has a year of tape on us as well as a full offseason, things might change

However, the article itself is fair. It simply is looking at history and patterns and applying them to us. It could very well happen, but at the same time, it could not and we could go 14-2 and surprise everyone.

The true beauty of the NFL really is the parity, we really won't know till the games are played
Plus, I count at least 8 games last year where we would have won anyway even if the turnover differential was even. So maybe we lose a few games this year if we don't win the turnover battle, but it's not like we won games just on turnover differential. Heck how many defensive scores did we get off turnovers last year? One or two? The only defensive TD I remember is Rogers' pick 6 vs. Tampa. You have to think we get a few more of those this year.

I'm expecting 10-6 to 11-5 this year, with a worse case scenario of 9-7/8-8. We still should be a playoff team.
Doesn't matter. It will only take 10 games to win the division anyway.
Life is unexplainable, but we try to quantify things so that we can explain things. The end game is the whether we win the SB or not. Look at the Giants, they peaked at the right time and place.

I expect somethings will decrease while others increase. I see 11-5 or 12-4. However, ask yourself this, do you want the end game or the good season that the Packers and before that the pats had of going nearly undefeated? The key is being in a position to go to the dance first. When you get to 15 -16 wins, there is a certain pressure and you get and play uptight instead of improve, playing for survival. I am sure that JH wants to win, but he rather the 49ers have a survival mode mindset. Like a mother lion protecting its cub.
Marv, where've you been buddy?!
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Thats got to be one of the worst articles I've ever written.. Of course ESPN would link it on the page

You wrote it?
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for qwestlove94.
Let me start of by saying that this guys really sounds like some nerd with a caculator trying to rationalize Pro Football.

I partially agree with this guy but, this is football, meaning youve got to look at a lot more than stats to get the whole story.

I agree that we probably wont have such a favorable take away ratio as last year, however, three and out is nearly as good as a Turnover, and our D can stop people in between the endzones.

I agree that Alex smith will probably throw more picks, however, he will also get more attempts, and throw for more yards as well as td passes, makes since right?

Bottom Line is the concept from that "moneyball" movie does not apply to the sport of football, and stats dont measure the heart of a team.

Last time I checked we still had absolute monsters lining up on both sides of the ball....where does it mention that in the article?
Originally posted by qwestlove94:
Let me start of by saying that this guys really sounds like some nerd with a caculator trying to rationalize Pro Football.

I partially agree with this guy but, this is football, meaning youve got to look at a lot more than stats to get the whole story.

I agree that we probably wont have such a favorable take away ratio as last year, however, three and out is nearly as good as a Turnover, and our D can stop people in between the endzones.

I agree that Alex smith will probably throw more picks, however, he will also get more attempts, and throw for more yards as well as td passes, makes since right?

Bottom Line is the concept from that "moneyball" movie does not apply to the sport of football, and stats dont measure the heart of a team.

Last time I checked we still had absolute monsters lining up on both sides of the ball....where does it mention that in the article?

it's an off season article...kinda like an off season iin the WZ...too much time and you get crazy in the head with stats then what really happened the year before.

Thats got to be one of the worst articles I've ever written.. Of course ESPN would link it on the page

ESPN owns Grantland.
Originally posted by NickSh49:

ESPN owns Grantland.

He should know that if he writes for Grantland.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by NickSh49:

ESPN owns Grantland.

He should know that if he writes for Grantland.

bill simmons is trash, i can't stand him
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Look at how we won a good number of our games. Defense, great field position thanks to the best punter in football, field goals from the best kicker, and turnover differential we are highly unlikely to replicate. We did not win many games in a way that exactly inspired confidence.

We need to be way better on offense and that is the truth.
[ Edited by kray28 on Aug 7, 2012 at 6:48 PM ]
One of the key factors of this 49er team is that they come to play every game. Look at all the playoff teams last year, each one got blown out at some point. The Niners were in every game until the final whistle. I don't see that changing. Sure injuries are an X factor but this team is loaded from 1-53. If the opposing team doesn't come with their A game they can expect an L.
Share 49ersWebzone