LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

Media and the 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
let em talk, they were still wondering if we were foreal when we were at 12 wins last year lol. f**k the media
Originally posted by Chief:
i heart jim

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Merrill Hodge picked the Niners to go to the SuperBowl

really. we even kicked his steelers last year. i do think he is some of the better ones they have at espn, at least he does not run around trying to make it all about him
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
I wouldn't be surprised if Harbaugh made some sort of deal with the media to keep us under the radar.
Originally posted by Muggins:
I wouldn't be surprised if Harbaugh made some sort of deal with the media to keep us under the radar.

Naw, he will just agitate them enough to keep the bad articles being written.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Naw, he will just agitate them enough to keep the bad articles being written.

agree, we all know he has no time for the media and if anything, he loves the bad articles because that just reinforces his , us against the world universe he lives in
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8237657/san-francisco-repeat-last-season-greatness

Dont know if this has its own thread so ill go head & post it anyway, Looks like this BIll Barnell guy has some serious beef the 49ers writing an article like this

This part was the one that really got me heated after reading his lame article

"an 8-8 campaign that reveals some fixable flaws in their constitution. That could be enough to win the NFC West and get into the playoffs, but 49ers fans dreaming of a Super Bowl run might want to dream about life with a real quarterback instead."

Very dubious article. Founded on the premise that when something has happened in a certain way in the past, this was usually the outcome. Therefore this will happen this time.

Flawed stats and flawed football.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
This guy's argument is that in the past, the average 13-3 team won 9.3 games the following year, so he thinks were going 8-8 this season. And he thinks an 8-8 team will win the division. I hate to admit it but the Seahawks are a decent QB away from being a pretty good team.. and were not going 8-8 this season. The only decent point he made is that we didn't have too much injury problems last year.

Does this guy realize that we just reached the NFCCG with no training camp, with a new coaching staff that had to implement a completely new offense and a new defense as the season went on? Our offense should improve with a full off season and with a lot more weapons This isn't gonna be the same offense where Brett Swaine gets significant snaps in the NFC championship game. Our defense will still be elite even if its not as great as last year. Were stacked and have so many depth on offense, defense, and special teams with one of the best coaching staffs in the league.

What an idiot
I cant wait till we come back to this thread in 5 months and talk about how stupid this guy was to write this article.
[ Edited by ImaMod on Aug 7, 2012 at 6:05 AM ]
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
The statistics are solid. Regression towards the mean and the plexiglass principle are real things. Yes, it deals with averages but we're dealing with likely outcomes here. Even then, I think everyone is missing the point.

So what if we don't win 13 games again? Big flippin deal. When you look at the metric for which previous teams were judged it was always 10+ wins and/or a division title. Once you're in the playoffs it doesn't matter if you're the #2 seed or the #6 seed. It's a whole new season.

Of course we want the team to do as well as they can to get a higher seed, and a bye, and home field and all that stuff. But let's not lose our heads here and keep our eye on the prize. One step at a time.

Originally posted by Oscar:
The statistics are solid. Regression towards the mean and the plexiglass principle are real things. Yes, it deals with averages but we're dealing with likely outcomes here. Even then, I think everyone is missing the point.

So what if we don't win 13 games again? Big flippin deal. When you look at the metric for which previous teams were judged it was always 10+ wins and/or a division title. Once you're in the playoffs it doesn't matter if you're the #2 seed or the #6 seed. It's a whole new season.

Of course we want the team to do as well as they can to get a higher seed, and a bye, and home field and all that stuff. But let's not lose our heads here and keep our eye on the prize. One step at a time.

Regression towards the norm .....over time.

Way too many other factors which are not taken into account. Young team, new young coach. Impact of the previous missed off-season.

But I agree, one step at a time.
Every single one of these articles takes a long-winded, tired approach to one simple tenet of thought:

The 49ers won't be that good in 2012 because they were so good in 2011 that there's no way they can repeat it.

I think it's nonsense personally. It's not like a roll of the dice where the probability of you rolling all sixes two times in a row is very unlikely.

There's much more to it than these stupid, subjective "of the 32 teams that had more than 12 wins in..blah blah blah" ideas.

The 49ers are a talented team with a talented coach, who only improved their squad during the offseason. There's nothing "chance" about those individuals or their abilities.

Furthermore, these articles leave out the major factor that it was only year one with Harbaugh, and a lockout-shortened year one at that. Following that logic, the 49ers stand to be better this year thanks to further familiarity within the system, added talent, and more offseason time to acclimate everyone.

It all depends on how you swing it, and a lot of these writers are taking the negative approach to the 2012 Niners so they have some material that varies from "common belief" among the pundits. My thinking is this:

There's a reason why the 49ers are the trendy Super Bowl pick. It's because they're damn good. Saying otherwise is just a way to have your writing stand out.
[ Edited by NinerPrideinNJ on Aug 7, 2012 at 8:25 AM ]
^^every1 who has visited our camp see us having a great offense

and an outstanding defense

i havent heard one negitive view from outsiders about first team offense reallt and apart from one or two practicces when they first started on red zone drills they really held their own
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
^^every1 who has visited our camp see us having a great offense

and an outstanding defense

i havent heard one negitive view from outsiders about first team offense reallt and apart from one or two practicces when they first started on red zone drills they really held their own

From what I've read, the offense hasn't looked that hot but the defense looks better than it was last year.

That being said, the offense will improve as a result of practicing against the D because the only way you get better is to compete against the best.
The good news is that we have two statement games to start the season, Giants mid season, Bears/Saints soon after, and Patriots to close out the year. We'll be able to size up our 49ers very early and watch the progress unfold way before the Thanksgiving/December mark like last year.

So if you include last season, by the time the playoffs start we will have an idea of how we match up against all the good teams except Houston and Atlanta....and since ATL can't get it together, only Houston is the question mark. :)
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Aug 7, 2012 at 8:39 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone