There are 49 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Media and the 49ers

Originally posted by okdkid:
Of teams with two losses or less, the 49ers have had the most difficult strength of schedule to date.

They are playing championship quality football.

link?
Originally posted by VDSF:
Quote:
The 49ers are getting help from a very favorable schedule, but that is not their fault — they just line up against whoever is put in front of them. Nobody in the NFC West is capable of beating them, but this week they have to travel East again. Fortunately for them, it's to play the Redskins. The rich get richer.

How is the AFC North and the NFC East a favorable schedule? Are these guys retarded or just being haters?
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
How is the AFC North and the NFC East a favorable schedule? Are these guys retarded or just being haters?

it's the same schedule from '81 = winning
Originally posted by NJNiner:
Originally posted by Eastcoast49er:
I still think there is a lot of people who don't believe in us... still the underdog

Thats just fine with me. I would much rather fly under the radar.

Yeah because it's so beneficial to "fly under the radar" of talk show hosts and fans. Meanwhile, NFL teams are not, and have not been, unaware of the 49ers.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I think the reason why analysts are having a hard time considering us as #2 (and even more so being better than Green Bay) is that they are rating a team in this order:

1. Passing Offense
2. Passing Defense
3. Rushing Defense
4. Rushing Offense
5. Special Teams

We have a mediocre passing offense, so they immediately assume that teams below us must be better despite the fact that they have lost more games. What I think that ranking misses most, though, is efficiency. We don't turn the ball over, we do get take aways, we score in the red zone, and we force the opponent to kick field goals. That efficiency helps both our offense and defense, and as a result we outscore our opponents on a regular basis. Also by being decent to great in all categories, it allows one part of our team to misfire and the other parts to take up the slack. Some times it is our defense that keeps us in games. In other cases special teams finishes the game for us, or kicks multiple 50 yard field goals in a close game. And of course, our rushing offense is putting up yards and points, and in the cases where that hasn't worked, our passing game has gotten enough points to win. Combine it all, and we win where a great passing team fails.
[ Edited by fryet on Nov 1, 2011 at 7:56 PM ]
Originally posted by fryet:
I think the reason why analysts are having a hard time considering us as #2 (and even more so being better than Green Bay) is that they are rating a team in this order:

1. Passing Offense
2. Passing Defense
3. Rushing Defense
4. Rushing Offense
5. Special Teams

We have a mediocre passing offense, so they immediately assume that teams below us must be better despite the fact that they have lost more games. What I think that ranking misses most, though, is efficiency. We don't turn the ball over, we do get take aways, we score in the red zone, and we force the opponent to kick field goals. That efficiency helps both our offense and defense, and as a result we outscore our opponents on a regular basis. Also by being decent to great in all categories, it allows one part of our team to misfire and the other parts to take up the slack. Some times it is our defense that keeps us in games. In other cases special teams finishes the game for us, or kicks multiple 50 yard field goals in a close game. And of course, our rushing offense is putting up yards and points, and in the cases where that hasn't worked, our passing game has gotten enough points to win. Combine it all, and we win where a great passing team fails.

well said my friend
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by VDSF:
Quote:
The 49ers are getting help from a very favorable schedule, but that is not their fault — they just line up against whoever is put in front of them. Nobody in the NFC West is capable of beating them, but this week they have to travel East again. Fortunately for them, it's to play the Redskins. The rich get richer.

Do these guys know we played 1 game in the NFC West?
Don Banks has us #3
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/11/02/week.8/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a2
They will be interesting this week after the packers lose to the chargers.
How you like this guys' rankings:

http://www.covers.com/sports/power-ranking/nfl-power-ranking.aspx
Originally posted by phiLthyphiL:

Amazing

lol probably just going by style points. we beat the lions it should at least account for something

hahahaha wtf?!?!
We had another ugly win, that should drop us 5 spots.
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
We had another ugly win, that should drop us 5 spots.

Yep