There are 75 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Media and the 49ers

I'm getting sick of these blowhards pointing to the NFC West when it comes to our record. Hello, hello, anyone home? Think, McFly, think! We've only played one NFC West team, and that was the first game of the season! The fact is, we've beaten every hyped up power house that's come our way.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
he's a douche. He and Keyshawn got into it on sunday morning over needing a breather after a long play. According to him, he never needed a breather and anyone that ever taps their helmet, is a puss.

Did Hoge ever have a long play? I honestly do not remember him playing at all.

this.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Youngone:
From Mike Sando: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/50105/nfl-power-rankings-49ers-worthy-no-2
ESPN's Merril Hoge rolled his eyes when Antonio Pierce suggested the 49ers would finish 12-4 and earn the No. 2 seed in the NFC playoffs. Hoge said he thought the 49ers would come up short against elite teams, including the Saints. He pointed to the weak NFC West. "I'm sorry, Merril," Pierce said. "I'm going to have to cut you off. They have only beaten one team in their division. The other five wins, outside their division. Tampa Bay, Detroit. They've played some good teams and put a smacking on them." I'm inclined to rank the 49ers second behind Green Bay this week. Would they beat the Steelers the way Ben Roethlisberger is playing right now? Would they have beaten New England, as the Steelers did Sunday? I'm not sure, but they're 6-1 overall, 3-0 on the road and own multiple victories over winning teams, including Detroit, Tampa Bay and Cincinnati.

Hoge is being added to "The List"

Finally a writer at ESPN gets it. We have earned that number 2 ranking and been more consistent than the high powered teams.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
When the subject is constantly at the top of the page it's kinda hard to ignore.

It's like the Alex Smith thread I want to avoid it, but if that's all everyone else is talking about

If you genuinely don't care, it really shouldn't be that hard. It's quite simple.
1 Packers
2 Steelers
3 Pats
4 49ers
5 Ravens
Originally posted by susweel:
1 Packers
2 Steelers
3 Pats
4 49ers
5 Ravens

The Patriots defense has been horrible this year. I don't think that team deserves to be in the top 5.
Originally posted by fastforward:
1 Packers
2 Steelers
3 Pats
4 49ers
5 Ravens

The Patriots defense has been horrible this year. I don't think that team deserves to be in the top 5.

id flip flop them with the Niners
1 Packers
2 Steelers
3 Pats
4 49ers
5 Ravens

Pats need to be switched with us, but that looks good otherwise. I will go on record saying that I think we are the most complete team in the league, I want to also note that we have faced the tougher schedule than the teams ahead of us. I will find it difficult, but I will be rooting for the Vikings and Lions and Bears (and whoever else the Packers play) this year in divisional play.
I'm fine at 3. We will have our chance to get to 2 when we beat the Steelers in our home turf. Then our revenge from 98 when Alex crushes Rodgers head with his small hands lol to move to number 1
1 Packers
2 Steelers
3 Pats
4 49ers
5 Ravens

Pats need to be switched with us, but that looks good otherwise. I will go on record saying that I think we are the most complete team in the league, I want to also note that we have faced the tougher schedule than the teams ahead of us. I will find it difficult, but I will be rooting for the Vikings and Lions and Bears (and whoever else the Packers play) this year in divisional play.

I just view it as if the Niners and Pats played I think the Pats would win. We are good but I think Brady would carve us up like a Thanksgiving turkey.
But Alex Smith and Ted Ginn would carve up the Patriots anemic secondary and special teams unit.
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
LOL power rankings

LOL, and yet you come into this thread and post. If power rankings don't matter to you then why even bother coming into the thread?

I bet we will be #2 in NFL and ESPN power polls.

IMO, I just find it kind of funny that for the past couple of years, everyone on here didnt give a s**t where they ranked us

Now that we have a 6-1 record, we cant wait for the power rankings to come out and use it as some sort of validation.

We are a good team, with some work to do. Don't need power rankings to see that

The rankings give the team more publicity and that's why I care about them. Plus it's just nice to see us up there.

I think we're all talking about the Niners more just in general. It's a uplifting topic:) It's what we always hoped for!

Does a debate about begin ranked 20,21,22,23 ex. sound very fun?

.....btw, This thread will DIE if we end up at #1
Originally posted by fryet:
ESPN has consistently under-rated us. Here is some research that I have done.

Week 2
49ers are ranked 22nd with 1-0 record. Only 2 other teams had 1-0 records that were ranked lower. 8 0-1 teams also had a higher ranking.

Week 3
49ers are ranked near the bottom of the 18 teams with a 1-1 record. They are ranked higher than only 2 1-1 teams, and 0-2 rams were also ranked higher than them.

Week 4
49ers are ranked 14 out of 15 2-1 teams. 3 teams with 1-2 records are ranked higher than us.

Week 5
Of the 11 3-1 teams, the 49ers are ranked dead last. 3 teams with 2-2 records are ranked higher.

Week 6
Of the 5 4-1 teams, 49ers are ranked last. 2 teams with poorer records are ranked higher (although Baltimore played one fewer game, so I can sort of understand that one)
Week 7
Of the 3 5-1 teams, the 49ers are ranked 2nd (they had to rank us higher than detroit since we just beat them). Baltimore with one fewer game is also ranked higher than us.

Week 8
Of the 2 5-1 teams, the 49ers are ranked last. One team with a poorer record is ranked above us.

Good post
I just view it as if the Niners and Pats played I think the Pats would win. We are good but I think Brady would carve us up like a Thanksgiving turkey.

I just don't see them being able to get the ball back from us for long stretches of time punctuated with scores. They are one of the worst defensive teams in the entire league. I have a little more faith in the team I guess.

I just don't see them being able to get the ball back from us for long stretches of time punctuated with scores. They are one of the worst defensive teams in the entire league. I have a little more faith in the team I guess.

The problem is they dont need a lot of time to score and that is the part we are missing as a team. Right now teams believe that they will always be given the chance to win by our O. Once we have that then we will be considered top 2. Right now there will be 1 or 2 teams with 1 more loss than us but higher ranked. I'm cool with that right now, mainly cuz this is brand new. Those other teams have Superbowl MVP QB's and that means alot when the game get bigger. Our respect is coming and we will stay in the top 5 all season. Wins against NY or Balt will be huge.