There are 71 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Media and the 49ers

not a nice visual
Being a Sports Critique = Being a Garbage Man ... and Mr. "Dick Royal" takes the cake

Wow what a garbage play.

Waste so much time and we don't get a chance for a miricle play.

NFL - What a joke.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
OK - King is wrong:On p. 63 of the rule book, its says that holding will not be called 'if the action is part of a double-team block in close line play', with the exception being that a hold can be called if the player goes to the ground.

correct me if I'm wrong, but is a kickoff return 'close line play'? NO!

As stated previously I am pretty sure the rule you are referencing is for regular downs and not kick returns. How could "close inline play" apply to men running down the field? Think about it.

This is the 3rd professional I have heard describe it that way. The likelyhood they are wrong and you right seems a bit far fetched, especially since as we have all seen the ref was starting right at the block aaaaaaand if you re-watch the play the Ravens players blocking Miller were clearly trying to hold him up off the ground. His feet come up off the ground several times.

Hey, I agree, that a schmuck like me shouldn't be any more qualified to interpret the rule book than a former official.

That being said, according to the rule book, the penalty for holding is the same for kickoffs, punts and/or FG/PAT's. The "in close line" phrasing is meant to apply to the situations that would occur in a normal line of scrimmage (which is also specifically described on the very next page (64) of the rule book). I checked the rule book in the kicking section and it refenced the rules for holding on page 63. Which means essentially, that specific case would not apply on kickoffs since there is no "in close line play".

Unless there is an addendum to the rule that isn't in the rulebook, the rule states that Miller was held and a penalty flag should have been thrown. I mean I can't prove a negative (that is I can't prove to you that it specifically states that was an illegal hold, but I have read every section dealing with kicking and penalties and didn't find anything that would refute my claim the refs not only missed the call, but the spin by the NFL afterwards was wrong as well).

And I agree 100% about your statement that 3 professionals should know better than me, and that is my point. Perreira never referenced the "in close line play" in his support and the fact that other professionals are taking up the torch, just makes me wonder when else have the rules been obfuscated to preserve the notion among the fans that the integrity of the game is intact.
The safety hold was a brilliant call. The penalty didn't matter -- the punter was going to take the safety anyway. It just wasted time, because the clock isn't reset on a penalty. The clock stops running when the play ends -- which was about 5 seconds later than otherwise due to the hold. Pretty smart actually. You can tell john Harbs has been coaching special teams for 7 years.
49ers got out coached out played and lost the game.....point blank ravens were the far better team 9ers have holes....Qb is a gimmick who will pull a cam newton next year
Originally posted by NFLOfficialsrule:
49ers got out coached out played and lost the game.....point blank ravens were the far better team 9ers have holes....Qb is a gimmick who will pull a cam newton next year

You made an account to hide behind ...hmmm
It doesn't matter if it's tinyhandsbigheart, sugar rush, NFLOfficialsrule, or whatever. Best advice is to ignore.
Originally posted by NFLOfficialsrule:
49ers got out coached out played and lost the game.....point blank ravens were the far better team 9ers have holes....Qb is a gimmick who will pull a cam newton next year

Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
The safety hold was a brilliant call. The penalty didn't matter -- the punter was going to take the safety anyway. It just wasted time, because the clock isn't reset on a penalty. The clock stops running when the play ends -- which was about 5 seconds later than otherwise due to the hold. Pretty smart actually. You can tell john Harbs has been coaching special teams for 7 years.

If the refs had thrown a flag on that play...it would have required a 10 second run off and thus ending the game on that play...I think that's what John was going for...smart...
[ Edited by Hitman49 on Feb 12, 2013 at 2:47 PM ]
I posted this on another thread - and it stirred the pot. I'm going to post it here and watch it stir the pot

http://www.examiner.com/article/two-nfl-replacement-referees-tell-inside-the-nfl-why-certain-calls-weren-t-made?cid=db_articles
Originally posted by 602_JamestownAve:
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by jrg:




John Harbaugh probably told his players that they aint gonna call s**t so just grab as much as possible.


great strategy too. push the envelope, make them make a call, if they do then u can tone it down a notch. potentially big reward if it pays off for u

This is the strategy a lot of teams are going with on both sides of the ball. As we've seen, the Seahawks DB's did it and the Falcons WR's push off to create space and the refs caught these type of infractions only a fraction of the time.

I think the Niners need to start doing this too. The refs will not call it every time so do it till they do. After that Super Bowl, more teams will adopt that same philosophy. The law of averages tells you you'd get away with it more times than not.

This is what happens when the NFL allows refs to pick and choose what calls to make, only to interpret no-calls as their way to claim that they're "letting them play". Every week in any random city with an NFL game, there will be a team that will feel like the 49ers did in the SB. Watching blatant sh*t go uncalled and getting the feeling like you're forced to eat it because this week, it's your turn.

The NFL is going NBA as far officiating goes. This awful news if they dont correct this problem before it ruins more seasons.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by 602_JamestownAve:
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by jrg:




John Harbaugh probably told his players that they aint gonna call s**t so just grab as much as possible.


great strategy too. push the envelope, make them make a call, if they do then u can tone it down a notch. potentially big reward if it pays off for u

This is the strategy a lot of teams are going with on both sides of the ball. As we've seen, the Seahawks DB's did it and the Falcons WR's push off to create space and the refs caught these type of infractions only a fraction of the time.

I think the Niners need to start doing this too. The refs will not call it every time so do it till they do. After that Super Bowl, more teams will adopt that same philosophy. The law of averages tells you you'd get away with it more times than not.

This is what happens when the NFL allows refs to pick and choose what calls to make, only to interpret no-calls as their way to claim that they're "letting them play". Every week in any random city with an NFL game, there will be a team that will feel like the 49ers did in the SB. Watching blatant sh*t go uncalled and getting the feeling like you're forced to eat it because this week, it's your turn.

The NFL is going NBA as far officiating goes. This awful news if they dont correct this problem before it ruins more seasons.

We did try it...but Culliver got called for P.I.
Originally posted by NFLOfficialsrule:
49ers got out coached out played and lost the game.....point blank ravens were the far better team 9ers have holes....Qb is a gimmick who will pull a cam newton next year