There are 156 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Media and the 49ers

Originally posted by ALLDONE:
For the record... Prickso is now also picking the Ravens.

Almost the entire CBS staff has sided with the Ravens:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/features/writers/expert/picks/straight-up/22

Thank God, I was actually scared when I saw he had picked us a few days ago. We're saved!!
Don't have any scores, but from listening to various ESPN Radio personalities the past week it sounds like:
- SVP is taking the Ravens/ Ruessillo is taking the Niners
- Mike Lupica likes the Ravens
- Mike Wilbon is leaning towards the Ravens although he thinks it'll be a close game
Personally, I hope everybody picks against us.
27-17 Ravens
49ers 38
Ravens 21
  • Bodhi
  • Veteran
Ravens is the sexy pick so that's what the media is running with. But all the stats say the 49ers by a mile. 49ers have an SRS of 10.2 to the Raven's 2.9

I say 49ers by 10.
Never fails for the Niners... When the majority of the media picks against them they win.

It's just like the Stanford Superbowl, everybody was picking the Dolphins even though the 49ers had a better record (15 - 1), a better defense, more talent and where virtually playing at home for the Superbowl...

We all know the outcome.

Not very good in their picks, are they?
Originally posted by vermonator:
Never fails for the Niners... When the majority of the media picks against them they win.

It's just like the Stanford Superbowl, everybody was picking the Dolphins even though the 49ers had a better record (15 - 1), a better defense, more talent and where virtually playing at home for the Superbowl...

We all know the outcome.

Unlike most of the regular season, it seems the media tends to pick the underdog in the SB more often the at any other time
Originally posted by SFL49ER:

Not very good in their picks, are they?

The exact same people also made the same picks for the packers game.
Has this come out yet? would be good to have a separate thread w/ his pool reports in here for us to discuss
somebody said the ravens are the sexy pick loloahahah have to disagree there. Imho im not sure how they are the underdog. i have watched the niners all season and have watched them play dispicable for no dawm reason and then have seen them play amazing. when i look at the ravens i see a team that has had it comming now for years. i look at them and i see a more mature US. defense, run game, and the deep ball. Its going to come down to offense and who will break more tackles. with that said.. the media doesnt know s**t..obviously. the (ray)vens may have god but we have good

ps no dis to the sexy picker commenter but i just dont like that term and i dont feel it fits the ravens because we are more sexy in all aspects
Can somebody explain what Peter King is trying to say here? I've never heard of such a 'take-down' requirement in my life

... The reason officials called no hold as two Ravens mugged 49er special teamer Bruce Miller on the 108-yard kickoff return for touchdown by Jacoby Jones in the Super Bowl: Miller would have had to be taken to the ground for it to be a penalty. Dumb, dumb rule. Miller was surrounded and held by two Ravens just as Jones sprinted by. The Competition Committee has to change that rule in 2013/

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130211/monday-morning-quarterback-peter-king-offseason-week-1/
OK - King is wrong:On p. 63 of the rule book, its says that holding will not be called 'if the action is part of a double-team block in close line play', with the exception being that a hold can be called if the player goes to the ground.

correct me if I'm wrong, but is a kickoff return 'close line play'? NO!
I don't see any take-down language in the rule book. Here's what I see:

"Use of Hands, Arms, and Body No player on offense may assist a runner except by blocking for him. There shall be no interlocking interference. A runner may ward off opponents with his hands and arms but no other player on offense may use hands or arms to obstruct an opponent by grasping with hands, pushing, or encircling any part of his body during a block. Hands (open or closed) can be thrust forward to initially contact an opponent on or outside the opponent's frame, but the blocker immediately must work to bring his hands on or inside the frame. Note: Pass blocking: Hand(s) thrust forward that slip outside the body of the defender will be legal if blocker immediately worked to bring them back inside. Hand(s) or arm(s) that encircle a defender—i.e., hook an opponent—are to be considered illegal and officials are to call a foul for holding. Blocker cannot use his hands or arms to push from behind, hang onto, or encircle an opponent in a manner that restricts his movement as the play develops. Hands cannot be thrust forward above the frame to contact an opponent on the neck, face or head."

If anyone can find this take-down requirement, I'd like to see it.