LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

Culliver > Peterson

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Culliver > Peterson

When I watch these two play, there is no comparison. Culliver is a much better corner than Peterson. Culliver is smoother in his technique, has superb ball skills, and possesses better instincts.

Cards fans have already been talking about moving Peterson to safety, which is funny because that would be a terrible move IMO. He looked bad at corner last night, but would look much worse at safety. He struggled to make open field tackles and doesn't diagnose the action in front of him. Bad combo for a safety.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NoOffseason:
Well, I think Culliver has some big factors helping him out greatly:

We have a good pass rush now, which helps everyone in the secondary. Peterson has no pass rush helping him (do the Cardinals actually have a sack yet? I have no idea ), which means he has to cover too long. That makes every DB look bad.

He does not have to be "the man" yet, he is the nickel corner and we could afford to somewhat ease him in into his duty. Peterson was elevated into the starting lineup because quite frankly after some injuries and the Cardinals trading DRC away, they had nobody else left.

The Cardinals offense is really struggling right now and might put Peterson and the rest of the Arizona defense in a bad spot. We have seen that same painful development with our team before, any defense will get tired and break down if the offense cannot sustain drives or gives them bad field position with turnovers. Though I think the Cardinals defense is not playing so hot either anyway…

That said, I am very surprised and pleased with the way he plays so far. He seems to be very physical and uses his athleticism very well and I think I have not yet seen him blow a critical assignment for a big play. If he can keep this up…
That's funny, cause the Cardinals lead the league in sacks and we're 19th.
Culliver reminds me of a young Eric Allen. If you aren't old enough to remember him...you have no idea how high a compliment that is. Dude is becoming a serious #1 type corner.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Cully is in a Niner jersey, Peterson plays for the Tards. Cully is better based on that fact alone
Enough said...
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
Originally posted by global_nomad:

In all honesty, I think this picture best best exemplifies who we are as a team. Take a look at the names on the back of the Jersey. It's not the usual suspects -- Patrick Willis, Justin Smith, or Dashon Goldson -- it's Anthony Dixon, a 3rd string runningback; Chris Culliver, a safety converted cornerback; Blake Costanzo, a person who only sees the field on punts and kicks.

This is a TEAM folks, every man on the roster is willing to work hard and sacrifice for each other. Blue collar at it's finest. We honor the game by playing it the way it was designed to be played. We play hard, we play smart, we play together. And sometimes, it ain't pretty -- just take a look at the lack of highlights -- but, dammit, football ain't made to be "pretty".

This picture speaks volumes.

This is the beginning of something special.
THIS...
I think some people in this forum believes that

Kap > Culliver + Petterson
cully didnt get smoked by crabtree. in fact he pretty much never gets smoked by anyone lately.
different styles.
  • dj43
Originally posted by reasonable1:
Culliver reminds me of a young Eric Allen. If you aren't old enough to remember him...you have no idea how high a compliment that is. Dude is becoming a serious #1 type corner.

Reminds me of a young Eric Wright. Now that goes way back. For the young here, Wright was a better pure cover CB than Ronnie Lott but a serious groin injury ended his career way too soon.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
different styles.

Yep!

One has a style of giving up big plays. The other one doesn't.

Alot of people were upset with this pick. I was actually pretty excited about it. I'm very happy he has continued to improve
Originally posted by dj43:

Reminds me of a young Eric Wright. Now that goes way back. For the young here, Wright was a better pure cover CB than Ronnie Lott but a serious groin injury ended his career way too soon.

I had to watch film of Wright...old school games wherever I can catch them. He was amazing...you dont see his breed anymore in the NFL.
Originally posted by dj43:

Eric Wright plays on the Bucs now!
Peterson has the hype of a top draft pick and he's a dynamite return man. Culliver was drafted lower and is under the radar. It's a compliment to compare him with Peterson. Culliver has size and even when a catch is made against him he appears to be in good position. He could turn out to be shutdown by next year, maybe even this year. I have not seen much of Peterson, but what I have he seems Soft, I could be wrong. Culliver on the other hand is nasty.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Peterson just had a VERY bad day. But I'm glad Cully's on our team. Already showing signs of being a baller.
Share 49ersWebzone