There are 71 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

In ALL Seriousness, Thank You Coach Singletary!

Originally posted by NavyNinerFan:
Originally posted by overthemiddle:
I am old enough to remember Sing playing and he was great. But as a headcoach he didnt do well and probably never will unless the rules change. When coaches turn him down and it took lots of money to lure a free agent then you know something is wrong. Next year coaches and players are going to WANT to come to the Niners for less money because of Harbaugh and his system. Sing was not a good headcoach but he was a great player and seemed like a good man.

This. Great player, maybe even a better man, but NOT a very good coach (yet anyway).
.
I loved hearing Sing talk but lets face it, his game plan pretty much sucked. It had no imagination to it, was very predictable, was just not able to make adjustments. That is why Sing is no longer the head coach of the 49ers!
Singletery would be a good college coach..
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
Misleading thread title. I thought I was going to come in here and read the OP saying thank you to Singletary for sucking so bad that we got Jim Harbaugh.

Same.
I don't totally discredit what Singletary left here. He had the right idea but didn't know the first thing though about implementing it. Harbaugh, on the other hand, knows wtf he's doing. I do take offense to your opinion of our team's talent. You've been listening too much to the national media. There's plenty of talent on this team. That's how wretched our leadership has been this last near decade since Mooch left. Incompetent leaders have a way of negating talent. Especially when a position as important as QB is treated the way Alex had been prior to Harbaugh and Co's arrival. Even our super teams back in the day wouldn't have accomplished half of what they did without the brains coaching 'em up. During the Dynasty days we'd routinely plug in rookies who played like experienced veterans. Now we see that from the Patriots every god damn year! The beautiful thing is now we're seeing it here. That imho is the hallmark of great leadership. The eye to spot the talent. And the knowledge, attention to detail and expectations to help that talent succeed early on.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
Misleading thread title. I thought I was going to come in here and read the OP saying thank you to Singletary for sucking so bad that we got Jim Harbaugh.

Same.

Same +1
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
Misleading thread title. I thought I was going to come in here and read the OP saying thank you to Singletary for sucking so bad that we got Jim Harbaugh.

What a crock of crap. Sing was the WORST coach we ever had - he empitomized "LOSER"
  • titan
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,938
Sing was a good judge of character! what he was lacking was coaching knowledge.
Originally posted by putangina:
I don't totally discredit what Singletary left here. He had the right idea but didn't know the first thing though about implementing it. Harbaugh, on the other hand, knows wtf he's doing. I do take offense to your opinion of our team's talent. You've been listening too much to the national media. There's plenty of talent on this team. That's how wretched our leadership has been this last near decade since Mooch left. Incompetent leaders have a way of negating talent. Especially when a position as important as QB is treated the way Alex had been prior to Harbaugh and Co's arrival. Even our super teams back in the day wouldn't have accomplished half of what they did without the brains coaching 'em up. During the Dynasty days we'd routinely plug in rookies who played like experienced veterans. Now we see that from the Patriots every god damn year! The beautiful thing is now we're seeing it here. That imho is the hallmark of great leadership. The eye to spot the talent. And the knowledge, attention to detail and expectations to help that talent succeed early on.
Great post! You hit the nail on the head with this one. GO NINERS!!!
Under Sing the team was so disadvantaged due to a lack of coaching that they had to play really hard just so they would not be completely embarrassed each week. The players knew what a crock Sing was. All brawn and no brain. Sing was soooo far in over his head that all he ever could say is "I have to look at the film". Yikes!
PYSICAL AND HUNGRY....u know Sing didn't invent that....he preached it but that was about it...Harbaugh turned Stanford into a "PHSICAL AND HUNGRY" team...The same Stanford that was losing to SJSU and was forgoten...he turned that team into bullies...remeber the USC game....he's won a BCS bowl game...has developed a #1 QB in the country....Sing on the other hand...well he's still must be looking at the tape cause he hasn't gotten back to us about what went wrong with the Niners...
Originally posted by amigoj49:
Coach Harbaugh has received a ton of praise for turning our team around. And yes, he deserves a lot of credit. But I look at our team and I see a bunch of PHYSICAL and HUNGRY players IN THE MOLD OF SINGLETARY.

We may not be talented as some of the super teams but we are playing with TENACITY and HEART. And for this, I can't think of anyone that deserves more credit than Coach Sing. I have a feeling that Sing is watching us on ESPN and feeling mighty proud. GO NINERS!!!!!!!!!

PS. Here is what coach Harbaugh did.... He started letting our PITBULL of a team listen to classical music!!

Have you taken a look at the film?
  • mike
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,827
Originally posted by titan:
Sing was a good judge of character! what he was lacking was coaching knowledge.

Definitely, his problem solving consists of running head first into a brick wall hoping to break through it, when Harbaugh would just walk around it.

He believed as long as you work your ass off(and have God on your side of course) you've got a chance to win any given Sunday, the problem with that thinking is that EVERY team works their ass off every sunday. I'll give him credit for motivating a young Vernon Davis however.

We can also thank Singletary's subordinates, had Raye been a decent playcaller(Or Mike Johnson replacing him) we could still have Singletary as coach. It's scary to imagine having him still coaching our team.
possibly surrounded himself with the worst staff in history'does deserve some credit,but harbaugh and his crew are at a totally different level in schemes and adjustments.