LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 209 users in the forums

Who would you rather have, Willis or Megatron ??

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who would you rather have, Willis or Megatron ??

Defense wins championships
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Despite his insane numbers this year, you could argue that Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald is better than Megatron. You could even argue, based on numbers, that Wes Welker is better. And there's another handful of guys like Dwayne Bowe or Steve Smith that are putting up crazy numbers, or who have great talent comparable to Calvin Johnson.

The only player that you could argue is better at his position than Willis is Ray Lewis, a sure-fire, first ballot Hall of Famer. And even that, right now, is debatable.

Give me Willis, he is a rarer talent.
I actually disagree Willis is the rarer talent. Consider this: You just listed five other talented WRs, yet Calvin is (1) taller than all of them, (2) heavier than all of them, (3) a better leaper than all of them, and (4) probably faster than all of them too.

(I'm not sure on the last one; did Steve Smith run low 4.3s back in the day?)

yeah, but can you list 5 other ILB's who belong in the conversation with Willis?

You can argue that back in his college days, Zak Keasey was the equivalent of 5 ILB's.

...even when he played OLB.
Originally posted by JREED23:
If we consider Willis and Megatron the best at their respective positions, the separation between Megatron and the rest of the NFL WRs is greater than Willis and other top LBs.
No Way
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Megatron is nothing but a micro-machine without a good QB. Willis is a beast all on his own. Speaking of which, our Defense will be responsible, yet again, for injuring one or two of their players. I am crossing my fingers it is Matthew Glass-body Stafford. Wouldn't it be epic to have a Smith vs Hill showdown for old times sake?

You must have missed his 1,100 yard 12 touchdown season with Shaun Hill and Drew Stanton as his quarterbacks.
megatron still needs someone to throw him the ball to make a play...p willy only needs someone with the ball
As a kid, I would have preferred Megatron. But my parents were against guns, so I was stuck with Starscream.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Megatron is nothing but a micro-machine without a good QB. Willis is a beast all on his own. Speaking of which, our Defense will be responsible, yet again, for injuring one or two of their players. I am crossing my fingers it is Matthew Glass-body Stafford. Wouldn't it be epic to have a Smith vs Hill showdown for old times sake?

1100 yds, 12 tds with shaun hill throwing to him for 11 of those games...? Honestly I think he's a big part of the reason stafford is having any success whatsoever, he would make alex look amazing.
[ Edited by mike on Oct 13, 2011 at 1:56 PM ]
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by JREED23:
If we consider Willis and Megatron the best at their respective positions, the separation between Megatron and the rest of the NFL WRs is greater than Willis and other top LBs.
No Way

yeah, I think people are thinking of "Megatron" more in terms of hype than in actual production.
Patrick Willis easy. CJ might not even be the best wide receiver out there. His route running is atrocious and his speed is great for someone his size, but there are guys that put up numbers at least as good as his. Patrick Willis has no contemporaries, the only other MLB in his league is Lewis, and he was a singular talent until Patrick came along.
I think it is easier to find a serviceable MLB (e.g., Bowman) than finding a freak athlete like Calvin Johnson who you can throw to in triple coverage and watch him out jump everyone or outrun everyone, since he is fast as lightning.

There is a reason why people rarely draft MLB's with their top 10 picks, but people trade away ridiculous amounts of picks to move up to get top WR's (e.g., the Falcons for Julio Jones). Given that it is a passing league, WR is much more important on offense than MLB is on defense.

Jimmy Graham has more yards, nearly identical average per reception, and more plays of 20 or more yards than Calvin Johnson

Jimmy Graham.

Not saying Calvin isn't elite, he obviously is, but he is not as singular as he is being made out to be this season.
I think it's easier to build a dominating defense around a middle linebacker than it is to build a dominant offense around a receiver. For that reason I would take Willis.

That being said of all the good wide receivers in this league I think it's pretty clear Calvin Johnson has had the worse quarterback play. Jon Kitna is the best quarterback he's ever had until now. Detroit's offensive line is equilvant to ours. No rushing attack whatsoever. If he had a legitimate quarterback throwing him the ball he'd already have Randy Moss's touchdown record to his name. He's that d*mn dominant.
Jimmy Graham has more yards, nearly identical average per reception, and more plays of 20 or more yards than Calvin Johnson

Jimmy Graham.

Not saying Calvin isn't elite, he obviously is, but he is not as singular as he is being made out to be this season.

Navorro Bowman has more tackles than Patrick Willis.

Navorro Bowman.

Calvin's on pace for 1,400 yards 28 touchdowns.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Oct 13, 2011 at 2:14 PM ]
  • mike
  • Veteran

Jimmy Graham.

I'm sure teams gameplan for graham like they do with CJ. Not to mention you "forgot" the part about CJ having uh...9 td's so far this year. No big deal.
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Jimmy Graham.

Navorro Bowman has more tackles than Patrick Willis.

Navorro Bowman.

Bowman > Calvin Johnson

My point is that people are acting like "megatron" is miles ahead of any other receiver. Aside from the ridiculous amount of touchdowns this year, his numbers say, "An elite receiver but not the only one."
Share 49ersWebzone