There are 231 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Willis and Bowman

Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Bowman is gone after this season. Fact.

He is signed through 2013-2014, and after that we have the franchise tag to buy us more time for a long-term deal. I see no reason why he would be gone after this season.

Bowman still has 2 years left on his contract... why would we cut him when he's still on his rookie salary?

That being said, he might hold out if he has another dynamic year. However, with his close ties now with Willis, I'm sure he'll want to be on the time. Harbaalke being Harbaalke, I'm sure they will find a way to do. I'm not sure the cap numbers on 2014, but we could easily let Crabtree's 6.5million contract in 2014 go and resign Bowman around that price, however, in the first season it will be much cheaper and progressively get more expensive.

With us NOT signing Peyton Manning (thank God, he doesn't even look like the same Manning of years prior so far), we've saved that much cap space to resign players like Bowman.

I have no fear that after the 2013 season, or even perhaps before the end of the 2013 season, Bowman will get his long term deal, sealing him and Willis next to each other in our stout defense for the next 4-5 years guaranteed.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

He is signed through 2013-2014, and after that we have the franchise tag to buy us more time for a long-term deal. I see no reason why he would be gone after this season.

I didn't even think about the franchise tag when I made my post. No doubt he'd be tagged given a contract can't be reached before then. Again, I have no fear that Bowman will be a Niner for years to come.
Originally posted by ImaMod:
According to rotoworld we have Bowman on contract next season (he's a FA after that season).
He's only getting paid 500k a year if that site is accurate I know he was a 3rd round pick but that's pretty crazy lol.

I think he's next in line for a contract extension for sure. The Niners always pay our players when its well deserved, that's one thing I really love about our front office. We made Vernon the highest paid TE (ever at the time), Willis the highest paid ILB ever, Carlos Rogers got the money he deserved, etc.

According to AB's numbers (which are accurate 99% of the time), Bowman is set to earn $721,000 in 2012 and $805,000. He's got a contract like that of Cruz of the Giants. VERY cheap and they both deserve a top10-20 contract at their respective positions.
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Seeing as how Sing didn't even want to draft Willis, I'm going to go with Baalke on this one.

He wan't the head coach... or the g.m at the time, that was Mike Nolan, can't believe he had so much power, but he could see talent, and Davis, and Willis an Justin Smith even Alex. I think Nolan was an coach with to much pressure with making every choice, and it's hard enough getting wins in the nfl, let alone being the everything man. an after that higher horrible drunk g.m, sure former 49ers general manager Scot McCloughan deserves some credit for a 49ers roster that has won the NFC West title that is he left Trent baalke with a great draft board, but he would have never took two first rounder offensive linemen, Scott would've passed on mike because he didn't believe guards were not important. Thank you TRENT so far so good

An bowman, do you really pay him more than willis? Not possible, Willis is the captian, what will that say to the locker room. How much of his play is due to playing next to him and behind justin smith and aldon? Like do you want to run at willis or Bowman, looks like neither, but on the tag idea, depends on if goldson keeps being taged or actually signs a reasonable longterm deal.

I'd like to keep both willis and bowman, they look an play like each other it's hard to tell now, both play ted, or mike thats a very nice thing to have, makes it hard for teams to game plan to block willis because half the time bowman an him swap and move around and i spend presnap trying myself on which one is which, than the snap happens and justin smith owns for a sack.

We should sign him long term, And we need to look for a guy that will be the next Justin Smith, a guy with talent, power, and motor, that sr's is a taller order to fill.
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Aug 24, 2012 at 3:03 AM ]
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Seeing as how Sing didn't even want to draft Willis, I'm going to go with Baalke on this one.

He wan't the head coach... or the g.m at the time, that was Mike Nolan, can't believe he had so much power, but he could see talent, and Davis, and Willis an Justin Smith even Alex. I think Nolan was an coach with to much pressure with making every choice, and it's hard enough getting wins in the nfl, let alone being the everything man. an after that higher horrible drunk g.m, sure former 49ers general manager Scot McCloughan deserves some credit for a 49ers roster that has won the NFC West title that is he left Trent baalke with a great draft board, but he would have never took two first rounder offensive linemen, Scott would've passed on mike because he didn't believe guards were not important. Thank you TRENT so far so good

An bowman, do you really pay him more than willis? Not possible, Willis is the captian, what will that say to the locker room. How much of his play is due to playing next to him and behind justin smith and aldon? Like do you want to run at willis or Bowman, looks like neither, but on the tag idea, depends on if goldson keeps being taged or actually signs a reasonable longterm deal.

I'd like to keep both willis and bowman, they look an play like each other it's hard to tell now, both play ted, or mike thats a very nice thing to have, makes it hard for teams to game plan to block willis because half the time bowman an him swap and move around and i spend presnap trying myself on which one is which, than the snap happens and justin smith owns for a sack.

We should sign him long term, And we need to look for a guy that will be the next Justin Smith, a guy with talent, power, and motor, that sr's is a taller order to fill.

He was also kind of an a*****e
Even if we lose Bowman at some point this team seems to have so much depth at the position I don't see the team suffering. Safe to say Willis will retire with this team (hopefully) and I hope he gets his jersey retired as well as making the HOF.
Best of all time! What separates these two is their speed and fundamental playing. When they get to a player I feel confident that player will be on the ground shortly. Willis is like a tackling teacher video on almost every play and Bowman is equally skilled...just sound players who are big and incredibly fast. Other great MLBs were tough, tenacious and strong but the speed is really unworldly...plus they rub off on their team mates. Makes the game a joy to watch.
There were several plays during the Saints game that Bowman miss tackled. I was a bit disappointed since people were hyping him up a bit, next to Willis. Bowman needs to improve. Very encouraging that Fangio mentioned Bowman as the most improved player this year so far. Having those 2 guys knifing through to make the tackle from sideline to sideline is just freak'n awesome. The speed and the athleticism from a pair of ILB is unreal. Now when I watch other teams' ILB they look slow, but I know they are not, they have good speed. They're just slower than what I'm used to with Willis and Bowman
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
Bowman still has 2 years left on his contract... why would we cut him when he's still on his rookie salary?

That being said, he might hold out if he has another dynamic year. However, with his close ties now with Willis, I'm sure he'll want to be on the time. Harbaalke being Harbaalke, I'm sure they will find a way to do. I'm not sure the cap numbers on 2014, but we could easily let Crabtree's 6.5million contract in 2014 go and resign Bowman around that price, however, in the first season it will be much cheaper and progressively get more expensive.

Bingo. He just asked Willis to be godfather to his twins. You think he's just going to up and leave because another team offers him a little bit more money than the niners do? After this past offseason I have no doubt Baalke will get it done.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

He was also kind of an a*****e
he calmed down after jamie winborn punched him in the eye
Originally posted by BrianGO:
The NFL needs a system that allows a team to go over the cap for a handful of players that were drafted by the team. If you were drafted by the team, you should get a chance to stay with the team.

Ideally, there should only be a salary cap on free agents. You should be able to pay drafted players whatever you want. And if you pay a lot for your drafted players, then perhaps this will lower your cap for free agents. That way, a team can get as good as they want with drafted players, but they can't add free agents on top of that to make it "unfair".

Couldn't agree more and have thought this for a long time.
Originally posted by ImaMod:
According to rotoworld we have Bowman on contract next season (he's a FA after that season).
He's only getting paid 500k a year if that site is accurate I know he was a 3rd round pick but that's pretty crazy lol.

I think he's next in line for a contract extension for sure. The Niners always pay our players when its well deserved, that's one thing I really love about our front office. We made Vernon the highest paid TE (ever at the time), Willis the highest paid ILB ever, Carlos Rogers got the money he deserved, etc.

I've been secretly hoping they announce a contract extension for him at the beginning of the year, like they've done with Willis and Davis.
willis and bowman should have a baby. when the baby is born, the 49ers should make him sign a contract in afterbirth blood.