There are 293 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Was the play call that caused Joshua Morgan to break his leg a mistake?

Was the play call that caused Joshua Morgan to break his leg a mistake?

• fryet
  • Veteran
It is now official that Josh is going on IR due to the injury. In a perfect world, some other play would have been called and Joshua would be starting for us against Detroit. But if we face the same situation in the future (and I hope this is the first of many blowouts), is calling a WR pass a bad idea?
No not at all. this is football injuries can happen on any play. I loved the fact that JH was still trying to score.
Originally posted by susweel:
No not at all. this is football injuries can happen on any play. I loved the fact that JH was still trying to score.

Injuries happen in practice too. Just a part of the game
Suppose Jim had tripped Josh Morgan going into the tunnel and he tore and ACL. Would that have been a mistake?
He could have been rolled up on blocking for a HB lead just as easily. It's impossible to avoid these things.
If you want to put it that way...

Josh Morgan should of ran out of bounds !!!!
  • fryet
  • Veteran
In my opinion, the pass play is the right call. When it comes to minimizing injuries, the fewest plays that you can run gives you the best chance of avoiding injuries. If Tampa got the ball, they would probably run at least twice the number of plays per 40 seconds that the 49er offense would. If the 49ers can keep the ball on offense, the game will end sooner, and less likelihood of an injury occurring. If they kick a field goal, then they have to kick the ball off, which is probably the highest probability of an injury. Running the ball probably has a slightly higher injury risk as well. I think the only higher risk in a pass play is to the QB, and we had our backup QB in there.
  • Amir
  • Veteran
Absolutely not. I loved the play call. It sucks that Morgan got hurt but it's football and that can happen at anytime. It was great to see our coach have a "Cut Their Throat" attitude. Haven't seen that in forever.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
In hindsight, knowing he was injured, of course, but not at the moment. What kind of question is this.
Originally posted by Otter:
In hindsight, knowing he was injured, of course, but not at the moment. What kind of question is this.

Exactly what I was going to say.
It was a five yard out route to get the first down. They weren't even trying to score that play but the defender covering him couldn't tackle for sh!t. Josh made a play for the endzone and a freak accident happened. Theres no one to blame for anything.
No he should dove into the endzone like a man
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Otter:

Some of the writers are saying that Jim Harbaugh made a mistake by calling a pass play. I wanted to see how many 49er fans agree.
Josh Morgan is not a very good football player, and he got his leg broke partly because of this fact. He should have been diving for the pylon like any quality WR would have. I feel bad for the guy, but he just isn't that great and seems to routinely get stopped on the goal line when most NFL WRs wouldn't. Had he dived, he would have scored and his ankle would be fine. Sad but true.

Now we need Crabtree to step up!
Harbaugh said we are not taking a knee with 4 minutes left in the game. Just like Deion said on NFL Gameday Final, score and keep scoring. Pound them into the ground. This is our new identity. No more Nolan or Mooch ball here.