There are 282 users in the forums

Was the play call that caused Joshua Morgan to break his leg a mistake?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Was the play call that caused Joshua Morgan to break his leg a mistake?

Originally posted by sfout:
Injuries happen, besides this is "what's your deal?" football. Harbaugh isn't going to take a knee he put in his backup qb or qb of the future and wanted him to get reps with the starters because Alex already sustained 1 concussion this year and as this play proves injuries happen all the time and I'd rather have Kaepernick ready to play with our #1's then the #2's during a big game.

I'll compare it to a baseball player putting a donut on his bad while on deck...Then when he is at bat, he takes it off and the bat seems way lighter...same thing here. If Kap can find a way to get the ball to Kyle Williams or Justin Peelle, imagine how much easier it'll seem throwing to Braylon/Crabtree and Vernon.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Can't play these hindsight 20/20 games. A run could of resulted in an injured O-lineman and having to rely on Rachal again . What if the defense goes out there and RJF gets rolled up on... its a fluke injury and happened to one of the few starters we can afford to lose.

This is JH's first year, he is establishing a mentality and culture with this team of never letting up and every player on the roster should be prepared to step in and go. It's a 16+ game season, as GB proved last year.... the best 22 players dont win the superbowl, the best 53 do.

Or the best QB.
No, you can break your leg stepping off a stair. I liked the agressive call. Grind the enemy into the dirt.
Nope, I loved that we did that. Its unfortunate what happened though.
Originally posted by andes14:
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
so what if we kick the field goal and something happens to someone on our defense the next possession? It was an unfortunate accident but stuff like that happens in football. Morgan was in because Edwards is out and Crabtree is still nursing his foot. Ginn is our kick returner so it was Morgans and Williams in the game at that point. Harbaugh did the right thing going for the first down. Our defense just played lights out the whole game, they deserved to not have to go back out on the field with 4 minutes left.

As far as I'm concerned, our last 3 possessions we could have kneeled it. Kneel 4 times, let them score a TD (thus no risk of a guy on defense getting hurt), kneel 4 times, let them score a TD, kneel 4 times, ballgame.
So you want to decrease the risk of injuring an offensive player by increasing the risk for a defensive player? There was 4 minutes left in the game, thats not kneel down time, sorry. The play call was to pick up a first down and keep the clock running. If the first defender would've made the tackle we more than likely would have started to run the ball being under 3 minutes. The defender didn't tackle and Josh made a football move for the endzone. Im sorry but kneeling down and letting them score multiple times would have been a disservice to the defense who played one of their best games in years.
I love the aggressive nature of harbaugh with this call! it tells other teams that the niners are here to play for 60 minutes so dont you dare quit during the game
So you want to decrease the risk of injuring an offensive player by increasing the risk for a defensive player? There was 4 minutes left in the game, thats not kneel down time, sorry. The play call was to pick up a first down and keep the clock running. If the first defender would've made the tackle we more than likely would have started to run the ball being under 3 minutes. The defender didn't tackle and Josh made a football move for the endzone. Im sorry but kneeling down and letting them score multiple times would have been a disservice to the defense who played one of their best games in years.

There's no risk in a defensive player getting hurt if you let them score. Once you get to a certain point, the main priority has to be keeping guys healthy. Letting them score would be super unorthodox and I'm half-joiking, but there WOULD be logic to it. But like I said, I don't even mind allowing Kap sling it, just have him do so to the Kyle Williams' and Justin Peelle's of the team...Gore, Davis, Crabtree, and Morgan should have been on the sideline for the entire 4th quarter. Harbaugh's done a magnificent job overall, but this is one of two things I blame him for (the other being not taking the points off the board against Dallas).
Harbaugh wanted the first down to allow them to burn clock. He also said there is no "second team" on a 53 man roster. I'm good with the call.
No, it was the right call. Hell, I would have gone for two after that touchdown!
Originally posted by niners94:
No, it was the right call. Hell, I would have gone for two after that touchdown!

he's saving that for Carroll... in Carrolls house

he's saving that for Carroll... in Carrolls house

• titan
  • Veteran
No, it was a football related accident. We are a young team trying to get our timing down and learning a new offense. It would have been a mistake if it was Joe Montana throwing it to Jerry Rice in the 4th qtr with a 40 point lead.

Yep! Practice makes perfect.
  • VDSF
  • Veteran
so what if we kick the field goal and something happens to someone on our defense the next possession? It was an unfortunate accident but stuff like that happens in football. Morgan was in because Edwards is out and Crabtree is still nursing his foot. Ginn is our kick returner so it was Morgans and Williams in the game at that point. Harbaugh did the right thing going for the first down. Our defense just played lights out the whole game, they deserved to not have to go back out on the field with 4 minutes left.

Lol are you serious? so cause you think if we went for the FG something would have happened to our defense? Wow...

Now dont get me wrong, I love Jim's smash them to the ground attitude but being up 41-3 with 3-4 mins left, play it safe and save it for Detroit.
No. An injury can occur on the 1st or last play of the game. You can't plan for that. You just have to play.
Share 49ersWebzone