LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 333 users in the forums

Morgan Replacement Options

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Morgan Replacement Options

TJ?
Originally posted by 49ERwhiner:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Zeigler seems to be the better option. He knows the system/playbook, is familiar with Alex (and visa versa), isn't going to moan or b***h about being the 4th WR (or 5th when Edwards returns) and can add value on special teams. Housh brings none of this.

I like the Ziggy thought too , he does already know the system , but I do question his run blocking a bit. I think who ever we bring in will be for depth mainly and Ginn and Williams will be the next go to guys along with our TE's.

Hey , Ghost where have you been ? Glad to see your post.

Just been hanging back, enjoying life and watching some damn good football for a change! :)

Yah, I think people are focusing a little too much on bringing in a WR who can block. Sure, it's important, but once Edwards gets back, whoever we sign will be the #4 guy behind Crabs, Ginn and Braylon (and possibly even the #5 guy if Williams steps up), so it's not like he's going to be on the field a lot. He's mostly insurance, so why not get a guy who has a little more versatility than just being big enough to block???

Besides, blocking is mostly about effort/heart/technique and not always size/strength. Being willing to throw your body in front of the right defender at the right time is just as critical for a WR as it is being able to drive your man downfield 10-15 yards.
I dont like TJ and his horse face, but he'll probably light it up in this offense.
mattbarrows Matt Barrows
Source: Wide receiver Chris Chambers also among those auditioning for the 49ers today in Santa Clara ...
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Next man up, if you go in a straight line, is Hastings. He beat out Zeigler, Long, Jurovich, etc for a PS spot. He has been practcing week-in and week-out with this squad, attending meetings, and absorbing the coaching philosophy. Hastings isn't as well known to fans, as some other names, but obviously, the coaches value him over some of the other names being mentioned.

It seems to me that much depends on what the club really believes about Edwards availability forn Game 7. His availability for that game, or for succeeding games, does not seem like a sure thing to me. If the club ius confident about Edwards return on the proposed schedule, then a 1-game replacement by Hastings seems like a no-brainer. If Edwards looks to be out longer, that might slant things more toward Reuland.

TJH needs to go back to the couch. No way that this guy (or any outsider) can be ready to go full-bore in the Niner scheme within the next 36 hours. Major contribution of this #4 WR player is (1) practice body to fill out the offense reps, (2) injury insurance for the Detroit game, (3) ability to block and avoid penalties if pressed into action in Game 6.

Feels like Hastings, as I see it..
Good analysis. I agree with what you say.
Originally posted by valrod33:
mattbarrows Matt Barrows
Source: Wide receiver Chris Chambers also among those auditioning for the 49ers today in Santa Clara ...

Just saw that. Thats interesting.

He has fallen off a bit lately, but he was SCARY athletic.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by FGore2121:
LeBron James for the duration of the NBA lockout

Use him for a trick play in the 4th.

he like's to pass in that quarter.

• Pick6
  • Veteran
I like the idea of Walker getting a lot more opportunities. Apparently there was talk in the preseason of him potentially playing (at least some) WR. He was a WR in college, and I he creates match up issues. Why not go to a base 2 TE and occasionally spread Walker and Davis out wide.

Whoever they sign will basically be a 5th option at best, behind Crab, Davis, Walker and Gore. I think Williams and Ginn are fine as options behind those guys... Joe Hastings is the guy I would like to see... bring him up and see what he can do.

Besides its not every day that I can root for a Washburn Ichabod - Go Bods!!!
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
I like the idea of Walker getting a lot more opportunities. Apparently there was talk in the preseason of him potentially playing (at least some) WR. He was a WR in college, and I he creates match up issues. Why not go to a base 2 TE and occasionally spread Walker and Davis out wide.

Whoever they sign will basically be a 5th option at best, behind Crab, Davis, Walker and Gore. I think Williams and Ginn are fine as options behind those guys... Joe Hastings is the guy I would like to see... bring him up and see what he can do.

Originally posted by Pick6:

If we go with a young guy over a vet, I like Hastings as well.
mattbarrows Matt Barrows

I thought he got stabbed in the throat trying to break up a fight.
Chambers is interesting, perrenial underacheiver... when he has a chip on his shoulder he can be lethal but im guessing why he gets waived so much is due to work ethic. Doubtful he is in shape right now.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
mattbarrows Matt Barrows

I thought he got stabbed in the throat trying to break up a fight.

DIDNT DIE, LOL
Just sign Housh already
Share 49ersWebzone