LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 335 users in the forums

Morgan Replacement Options

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Morgan Replacement Options

• Paul
  • Veteran
he played for Jim's brother last season so maybe that plays a part in this too.. if it's a minimum deal I would like this move
meh
t.j. almost became a niners when erickson was the coach--they had a connection as tj played for ericksn at oregon state
Zeigler seems to be the better option. He knows the system/playbook, is familiar with Alex (and visa versa), isn't going to moan or b***h about being the 4th WR (or 5th when Edwards returns) and can add value on special teams. Housh brings none of this.
Hope he has something left in the tank
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Not to worried about this move because the WR position on our team is an after thought. As long as they can catch a short pass or two and block thats all we really need..
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Originally posted by 52thegreat:
SEA: 79 catches for 911 yards
BAL: 30 catches for 398 yards (started only 2 games)

What are you guys talking about when saying this guy wasn't good?

Im not saying he wasnt a good player. Im just wondering how some people are saying he's an upgrade over Morgan.

I personally think Morgan is slightly better than Housh. near Housh's level but Housh is still better primarily due to experience and overall consistency at a high level.

That would be awesome if he plays. We gotta get the home crowd to do a loud to silent "Hooooooooouuuu!------sssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

So josh morgan knows the entire playbook, has gone through training camp and preseason, has timing down with alex smith, and you expect a guy who was sitting on the couch to come in and do well? Dont get your hopes up.

All Housh needs to know is the install. All this "completely knowing the playbook" is a bunch of crap that was used for 6 years to make excuses for Alex. Alex, without an offseason, is playing better under a completely new offense with new verbiage.

It's all about how the coach designs the play and whether or not the players get the weekly install down. The Pats don't use a 200 page playbook every week. They use the install for that week and that install consists of possible plays they NEVER ran before.

Knowing the playbook is overrated. Knowing the game plan and how to beat the team THAT week is the most important piece of information.

Lets throw out timing. Lets throw out training camp and preseason. In your perfect world you could put a team full of all stars together every week and they could beat a superbowl champion if they get the right game plan. Gotcha. Team chemistry is way overrated!
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Zeigler seems to be the better option. He knows the system/playbook, is familiar with Alex (and visa versa), isn't going to moan or b***h about being the 4th WR (or 5th when Edwards returns) and can add value on special teams. Housh brings none of this.

Harbaugh already said he wants complete WRs, who can catch as well as block, Ziggy is too damn skinny and that is why he's never made any of the teams after trying for so many years.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Imo, whoever they bring in will be strictly for depth, Kyle Williams is going to get his opportunity and he's going to surprise people, the dude had a great camp, displayed incredible hands, and is the 2nd fastest WR on the team.

Have you guys forgotten about his TD catch in Week 1 that made NFL top plays of the week?

Week 2**

But yeah im with you dude. He can do a lot of good things on the field, excited to see him play next week
T.J. likely makes the team, has solid hands, runs decent routes.

I kind of wish we could keep it to the original squad and get Zeigler back. TJ is old and fading
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

I like the Ziggy thought too , he does already know the system , but I do question his run blocking a bit. I think who ever we bring in will be for depth mainly and Ginn and Williams will be the next go to guys along with our TE's.

Hey , Ghost where have you been ? Glad to see your post.
[ Edited by 49ERwhiner on Oct 11, 2011 at 10:44 AM ]
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Lets throw out timing. Lets throw out training camp and preseason. In your perfect world you could put a team full of all stars together every week and they could beat a superbowl champion if they get the right game plan. Gotcha. Team chemistry is way overrated!

Timing is key but look at Crabtree, his "timing" sucks. I think route running has more to do with timing than anything and Crabtree isn't running the best routes. TJ is an experienced veteran and seems to understand route running or he wouldn't have the career he's had.

Alex has also been fortunate to have great play design that has the receivers getting comfortably open.
[ Edited by Joecool on Oct 11, 2011 at 10:31 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Welcome back Joe - we missed ye!

Not sure how to take this.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Bring back Jerry Rice Im sure he can still be a good possession receiver.
Share 49ersWebzone