There are 91 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Smith and Crabtree, what is it between these two?

Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by BOI49er:
The hash markes are 18 ft apart. On the int., Crabs ran outside the right hash, and made his cut as AS released the ball. Crabs was at the left hash when the ball came down right at the right hash. So, either Alex missed by 18 ft. laterally and about that long as well with little pressure in the pocket, or he was expecting Crabs to continue straight up field, in which case he'd have at least been in position to break up the int. I agree that AS has a disconcerting habit of overthrowing Crabs in particular, but I question that a throw that far off in two different dimensions is likely just a bad throw.

Exactly. It is a shame the haters can't connect the dots, but no one is accusing them of being intelligent.

This makes sense if it was ONE throw that was high or even a couple of "bad throws" - heck I'll take a "bad game".... but ALL throws to Crabtree over many, many, many games have been high, off target, confused, tipped, etc ... relative to other receivers, even recent additions. Example: Edwards and Smith were doing something really special with that back shoulder throw.

They dont have the rapport that they need to connect on a regular basis. And of course how could they if crabs is hurt the whole time the get to practice together. i dont even understand why there's an argument on this. no one to blame but they need to get it together. Once those 2 get it right this offense will really click.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Right, Smith doesn't overthrow anyone else but Crabtree.

These days? It seems most of his passes are right on the money to everyone but Crabtree. I don't think I am alone in this observation. I am the OP if you didn't notice... I made this thread last week after realizing there is a serious problem between these two.
Originally posted by SF4EVA:
The hash markes are 18 ft apart. On the int., Crabs ran outside the right hash, and made his cut as AS released the ball. Crabs was at the left hash when the ball came down right at the right hash. So, either Alex missed by 18 ft. laterally and about that long as well with little pressure in the pocket, or he was expecting Crabs to continue straight up field, in which case he'd have at least been in position to break up the int. I agree that AS has a disconcerting habit of overthrowing Crabs in particular, but I question that a throw that far off in two different dimensions is likely just a bad throw.

Exactly. It is a shame the haters can't connect the dots, but no one is accusing them of being intelligent.

This makes sense if it was ONE throw that was high or even a couple of "bad throws" - heck I'll take a "bad game".... but ALL throws to Crabtree over many, many, many games have been high, off target, confused, tipped, etc ... relative to other receivers, even recent additions. Example: Edwards and Smith were doing something really special with that back shoulder throw.

They dont have the rapport that they need to connect on a regular basis. And of course how could they if crabs is hurt the whole time the get to practice together. i dont even understand why there's an argument on this. no one to blame but they need to get it together. Once those 2 get it right this offense will really click.

Nice post, SF4Eva. Smith to Crabtree is nowhere close to the great passing combos of the past. What can you expect for the reasons you have pointed out? Are they on the same wavelength? Clearly not, but which WR on the Niners has ever had that relationship with Alex during his tenure here. To say that this is isolated problem between these two is ridiculous.
Originally posted by SF4EVA:

Nice post, SF4Eva. Smith to Crabtree is nowhere close to the great passing combos of the past. What can you expect for the reasons you have pointed out? Are they on the same wavelength? Clearly not, but which WR on the Niners has ever had that relationship with Alex during his tenure here. To say that this is isolated problem between these two is ridiculous.

Battle, VD, Walker, and Morgan all have or had(battle) great chemistry with Alex Smith. For one reason or another Crabtree and Alex Smith just aren't on the same page.

Actually everyone else has been on a better wavelenth then them 2. Im just saying that i hope they do because it will only make this team, more dangerous. Those reasons are just those"excuses". alex and braylon were already there before he got hurt. Alex and Crabs needs to spend plenty of this off time working together.
I wanted to post in this thread after watching the game for the 4th time, I counted 6 throws that Alex dropped his shoulder on. After watching the INT he dipped his shoulder but I am eating crow in the fact that there had to be a miscommunication there. Alex was inaccurate but he didnt have the horrible game I thought he did when first watching it. He needs to work on his mechanics but he was still solid, so I am here admitting I was wrong, he didnt play nearly as terrible as I originally thought.
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
I wanted to post in this thread after watching the game for the 4th time, I counted 6 throws that Alex dropped his shoulder on. After watching the INT he dipped his shoulder but I am eating crow in the fact that there had to be a miscommunication there. Alex was inaccurate but he didnt have the horrible game I thought he did when first watching it. He needs to work on his mechanics but he was still solid, so I am here admitting I was wrong, he didnt play nearly as terrible as I originally thought.

I have faith that Harbaugh will correct it or at least let him know.

How'd you get your proper QB mechanics certification?
Right, Smith doesn't overthrow anyone else but Crabtree.

These days? It seems most of his passes are right on the money to everyone but Crabtree. I don't think I am alone in this observation. I am the OP if you didn't notice... I made this thread last week after realizing there is a serious problem between these two.

i'd say 95% of smith's overthrows are to crabtree

You can get one online for 3 easy installments of $19.99
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
IMHO, I just think that Crabtree's foot injury keeps him off the practice field - thus making it difficult for (Crabtree) & Alex to work on there chemistry.

I deal with it everyday when I am watching opposing QB's on film game planning for the week. Even in college mechanics matter and especially basic one's like the one Alex has a tendency for

After watching 4 times how many bad passes did you count? I didn't see as many as I expected...But I didn't review 4 times lol
[ Edited by Jakemall on Oct 18, 2011 at 8:23 PM ]
Originally posted by Jakemall:
After watching 4 times how many bad passes did you count? I didn't see as many as I expected...But I didn't review 4 times lol

Originally posted by Jakemall:

That is what I counted, but was expecting to see 7-8. Thought maybe my replay was missing some of the action.