LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

Smith and Crabtree, what is it between these two?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Smith's accuracy was not on par with the last 2 games. I think the Lions' pass rush has a lot to do with it. I think that and the combination of receivers not getting open on a consistent basis got him throwing the ball with bad mechanics. I think when Smith re-watch the game he would realized he could have taken just enough time to make some better throws.

We have all seen it before. When Smith is confident that he gets time from the line his accuracy is very good. When he doesn't have confidence of the situation or perceived a lack of time, or tentative, it's when he becomes erratic.

When you play quarterback and you are anxious, the ball goes high. It happens every single time. For whatever reason, Smith lacked confidence in this game.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Smith's accuracy was not on par with the last 2 games. I think the Lions' pass rush has a lot to do with it. I think that and the combination of receivers not getting open on a consistent basis got him throwing the ball with bad mechanics. I think when Smith re-watch the game he would realized he could have taken just enough time to make some better throws.

We have all seen it before. When Smith is confident that he gets time from the line his accuracy is very good. When he doesn't have confidence of the situation or perceived a lack of time, or tentative, it's when he becomes erratic.

When you play quarterback and you are anxious, the ball goes high. It happens every single time. For whatever reason, Smith lacked confidence in this game.

He and Crabs don't have chemistry. They don't really put in extra time together. Look at the Seattle and the Dallas game where the OL was getting beat all over the place. Look at the throws to Edwards. It's obvious that Smith and Edwards were developing a rapport because they put in extra time to work on their chemistry. Until Crabs and Smith put in the reps, you're going to see consistent high passes to Crabs. The slant to Walker was perfectly placed - so was the pass to Walker in the end zone that he drops. When Alex is confident about his receiver, he moves away from the high passes.

Wasn't one of Crabtree's issues out of college his route running? Is it perhaps that Crabtree is running routes to shallow as in instead of making his cut after 10 yards he's breaking at 8?

He and Crabs don't have chemistry. They don't really put in extra time together. Look at the Seattle and the Dallas game where the OL was getting beat all over the place. Look at the throws to Edwards. It's obvious that Smith and Edwards were developing a rapport because they put in extra time to work on their chemistry. Until Crabs and Smith put in the reps, you're going to see consistent high passes to Crabs. The slant to Walker was perfectly placed - so was the pass to Walker in the end zone that he drops. When Alex is confident about his receiver, he moves away from the high passes.

Source on the first bold? How do you know they dont work during the week?

Second bold......because they dont put in extra work, that means all passes will be high? Care to explain how that one works?

(Im not going to harp the pass that Walker dropped. It wasnt a perfectly placed ball like you say it was, nor was it delivered on time. But it absolutely, 100% should have been caught none the less.)
[ Edited by 80sbaby24 on Oct 16, 2011 at 8:52 PM ]
Another "who cares" issue. As long as the team is winning, these make believe issues mean absolutely nothing.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:

Second bold......because they dont put in extra work, that means all passes will be high? Care to explain how that one works?

(Im not going to harp the pass that Walker dropped. It wasnt a perfectly placed ball like you say it was, nor was it delivered on time. But it absolutely, 100% should have been caught none the less.)

Uhhh yea it actually kind of was. It hit him damn near right in the hands.
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:

Uhhh yea it actually kind of was. It hit him damn near right in the hands.

If there was a DB draped all over him, then it was a perfectly placed ball. But there was no one within 10 yards of Walker. Just throw it to him.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Oct 16, 2011 at 8:58 PM ]

Yea, I think the problem is psychological on Smith's part, but I think the problem stems from Crabtree's lack of offseason work.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Another "who cares" issue. As long as the team is winning, these make believe issues mean absolutely nothing.

Make believe?
The hash markes are 18 ft apart. On the int., Crabs ran outside the right hash, and made his cut as AS released the ball. Crabs was at the left hash when the ball came down right at the right hash. So, either Alex missed by 18 ft. laterally and about that long as well with little pressure in the pocket, or he was expecting Crabs to continue straight up field, in which case he'd have at least been in position to break up the int. I agree that AS has a disconcerting habit of overthrowing Crabs in particular, but I question that a throw that far off in two different dimensions is likely just a bad throw.
Originally posted by BOI49er:
The hash markes are 18 ft apart. On the int., Crabs ran outside the right hash, and made his cut as AS released the ball. Crabs was at the left hash when the ball came down right at the right hash. So, either Alex missed by 18 ft. laterally and about that long as well with little pressure in the pocket, or he was expecting Crabs to continue straight up field, in which case he'd have at least been in position to break up the int. I agree that AS has a disconcerting habit of overthrowing Crabs in particular, but I question that a throw that far off in two different dimensions is likely just a bad throw.

Exactly. It is a shame the haters can't connect the dots, but no one is accusing them of being intelligent.

Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:

Exactly. It is a shame the haters can't connect the dots, but no one is accusing them of being intelligent.

Right, Smith doesn't overthrow anyone else but Crabtree.

This makes sense if it was ONE throw that was high or even a couple of "bad throws" - heck I'll take a "bad game".... but ALL throws to Crabtree over many, many, many games have been high, off target, confused, tipped, etc ... relative to other receivers, even recent additions. Example: Edwards and Smith were doing something really special with that back shoulder throw.

They dont have the rapport that they need to connect on a regular basis. And of course how could they if crabs is hurt the whole time the get to practice together. i dont even understand why there's an argument on this. no one to blame but they need to get it together. Once those 2 get it right this offense will really click.
Right, Smith doesn't overthrow anyone else but Crabtree.

These days? It seems most of his passes are right on the money to everyone but Crabtree. I don't think I am alone in this observation. I am the OP if you didn't notice... I made this thread last week after realizing there is a serious problem between these two.
Originally posted by SF4EVA:

This makes sense if it was ONE throw that was high or even a couple of "bad throws" - heck I'll take a "bad game".... but ALL throws to Crabtree over many, many, many games have been high, off target, confused, tipped, etc ... relative to other receivers, even recent additions. Example: Edwards and Smith were doing something really special with that back shoulder throw.

They dont have the rapport that they need to connect on a regular basis. And of course how could they if crabs is hurt the whole time the get to practice together. i dont even understand why there's an argument on this. no one to blame but they need to get it together. Once those 2 get it right this offense will really click.

Nice post, SF4Eva. Smith to Crabtree is nowhere close to the great passing combos of the past. What can you expect for the reasons you have pointed out? Are they on the same wavelength? Clearly not, but which WR on the Niners has ever had that relationship with Alex during his tenure here. To say that this is isolated problem between these two is ridiculous.
Originally posted by SF4EVA:

Nice post, SF4Eva. Smith to Crabtree is nowhere close to the great passing combos of the past. What can you expect for the reasons you have pointed out? Are they on the same wavelength? Clearly not, but which WR on the Niners has ever had that relationship with Alex during his tenure here. To say that this is isolated problem between these two is ridiculous.

Battle, VD, Walker, and Morgan all have or had(battle) great chemistry with Alex Smith. For one reason or another Crabtree and Alex Smith just aren't on the same page.
Share 49ersWebzone