There are 83 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Couldn't have won the last one with out Coach Sing.

I know this won't be popular but I really think that the genesis of this team has a lot to do with the attitude that Singletary instilled in the players during his brief tenure. One thing you could almost always say about his teams where that they fought hard to the bitter end each and every week. They were generally outcoached and woefully underprepared, but on talent and will alone they were able to compete. Harbaugh, a fiery competitor himself, has kept that up and added the missing pieces in terms of preparation and strategy. I will say however, I don't think Harbaugh by himself would inspire the respect and admiration that Singletary did in the locker room as quickly as he did. For that, we owe Mike Singletary a debt of gratitude for helping this team grow into what it's becoming this season.
[ Edited by jesserdumas2 on Oct 4, 2011 at 8:39 AM ]
Singletary will not get credit for that win from me
I give him credit for turning VD around, that's it.
Originally posted by FaithInJH:

this
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

this

+1
Originally posted by valrod33:

This. Look at the fight to come back. We never showed that.

Look at the message Jim made when he called a timeout with .01 seconds left in the first half. We never did that under Sing.

I almost locked this but will let it continue because attitude is different and worth discussing.

The 1 second is huge and really tells a lot. Harbs is saying we will compete every second of the game. Doesnt matter the outcome of the play. It is a message.
In some sense I agree...You can definitely see the lack of confidence this team had under Nolan, compared to Sing. Sing brought the energy and motivation, but Harbaugh brings that, plus a great football IQ.
Originally posted by jesserdumas2:
I know this won't be popular but I really think that the genesis of this team has a lot to do with the attitude that Singletary instilled in the players during his brief tenure. One thing you could almost always say about his teams where that they fought hard to the bitter end each and every week. They were generally outcoached and woefully underprepared, but on talent and will alone they were able to compete. Harbaugh, a fiery competitor himself, has kept that up and added the missing pieces in terms of preparation and strategy. I will say however, I don't think Harbaugh by himself would inspire the respect and admiration that Singletary did in the locker room as quickly as he did. For that, we owe Mike Singletary a debt of gratitude for helping this team grow into what it's becoming this season.

No, this is EXACTLY the type of game this team lost last season.

(See 2010 game vs New Orleans)
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

Repeatedly.

LOL @ assuming Harbaugh couldn't get them to play hard until the end.

Singletary will get, and deserves no credit.
Oh C'mon.

What coach out there at any level DOES NOT SAY "keep fighting, 100% to the very end, blah, blah." They all do.

Harbaugh and his staff have gameplans, strategy, and in-game tactics that match up to what our opponents have. That is what gives our players confidence that they can come back, not that "no substance" b.s. that Singletary espoused.

Our players are starting to see Harbaugh and his staff as weapons. Fairly quickly, our players saw Singletary as nothing more than an annoying loudspeaker.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

...And the Falcons game... and the Eagles game (at home), and the Rams game (that finally got Sing fired)... oh and that Packers game in 2009...
Perhaps it's fair to say that I don't think Singletary ever should have been handed the reigns to an NFL roster without having ANY head coaching experience at any level. The bumbling and ineptitude of that coaching staff was as maddening as any of the teams I've watched over the past 8 years. He was in waaaaay over his neck in the scope of what it takes to be a successful NFL coach. That's not his fault, ownership never should have been wooed by his bravado and he really should have known better too.

What he did do, which few coaches truly can boast that they can, is relate to the players on a competitive level and command the respect of even top-tier talent because he was so highly regarded as a player. He gained instant credibility in the locker room and, the most obvious example being VD, truly changed the paths of some players' careers. Would Pat Willis be as dominant without the tutelage of one of the all time greats? Would he lead his teammates as well without that influence?

Maybe Harbaugh could have achieved the same things, but Singletary already created the attitude shift from the Nolan regime that the team desperately needed and gave JH a leg up to be competitive right away.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by valrod33:

This. Look at the fight to come back. We never showed that.

Look at the message Jim made when he called a timeout with .01 seconds left in the first half. We never did that under Sing.

I almost locked this but will let it continue because attitude is different and worth discussing.

The 1 second is huge and really tells a lot. Harbs is saying we will compete every second of the game. Doesnt matter the outcome of the play. It is a message.

The only problem I have with that call is what if someone got hurt? We would all put it in the same bucket with all the bonehead calls Dingle made as coach, especially if we had lost.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

this

+1
thats about it