LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

Week 4: Thoughts after re-watching the game....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Marvin49:
OK, this one was the most fun to re-watch. ;-)

1) I know he was hurt, but I still think Frank has lost a step. Thats not to say he's not still a great player, he's just not a quick as he used to be. He had a GREAT game yesterday, but he had HUGE gaping holes to run through. Again, don't take this wrong, he's still a fantastic player, but he IS getting older and its starting to show.

2) This ties into #1...Kendall Hunter is legit. I think we can expect a steady diet of both Hunter and Gore as the season goes on. What this really reminds me of is Jacksonville. When Fred Taylor started showing some wear, MJD was the young RB who was splitting those carries. Fred was still a really good back, but his injury history made bringing in MJD for several carries a game a prudent move. I really think thats the way this thing is gonna go...assuming both stay healthy.

3) Navorro Bowman. Pro Bowl. Book it. He is playing better that WIllis right now. No joke.

4) Michael Crabtree just looks different this year. I dunno if he's lost weight or what, but he just seems more lanky and a tad bit quicker. I can't put my finger on it. He's one to watch moving forward.

5) Aldon Smith. Woah. I said last week that he was getting neutralized too easily....not so this week. LOL!! He had 1.5 Sacks, but if it wasn't Mike Vick he is chasing he'd have 3.5 and he had ANOTHER one on a play that Brooks jumped offsides. This could be a product of poor Eagles line play, but give the rook credit...he looked really good.

6) McDonald is still playing VERY well.

7) Justin Smith. Wow. Talk about hustle. GREAT play. No DE is supposed to catch Jeremy Maclin from behind.

8) O-Line. Had a much better day, but not sure how much is them and how much is the Eagles D. Davis struggled again, but that was no slouch he was facing. That line split is also rediculous. Davis is actually SUPER fast to get out of his stance (faster than any Niner lineman), so its not a case of him getting beat by speed. Its the Angle of where Babin is coming from...and in addition Babin just being pretty damn good. Davis did struggle, no doubt, but I really still think he's gonna be a good one. His feet are just SOOO fast for a man his size.

9) Bruce Miller. Limited sample size, but I like this guy more and more every week. He still doesn't hold the ball right (LOL...if you look at his 4th quarter reception, he isn't holding the point of the ball). He just isn't familiar with it yet. When you realize that he didn't play the position before August, its pretty impressive. Other than the way he held the ball, he looks VERY athletic or a FB and could be that outlet reciever the way Rathman was in the glory days.

10) Alex. I couldn't do this without mentioning Alex. QBs have recievers drop passes in every game, but what I find the most amusing is when I hear peeps say he had a bad first half and a great second half. What they don't realize is that there were 3 or 4 DROPS that could have been first downs. One by Hunter sticks out in particular that would have been AT LEAST a first down. if Hunter catches it and beats the LB, it could have been ALOT more.

My point is that Alex had a great game from top to bottom. Yes, he did fumble, but I can't really pin that on him since the guy came completely unblocked and its only his second turnover in 4 games.

Alex could come in and stink it up next week, but even the Alex haters have to give him his due this week. He played well.

You covered a lot, and I think you single handedly stopped about 5-6 new posts ...and yes, Alex played well. The question is whether this is a one time thing or a trend.
everyone is so happy we signed carlos rogers, but they keep callin him rodgers, aaron rodgers in GB is the only guy who spells his last name that way
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Great job as always, Marvin49.

You are 4 for 4 this year... 100% accuracy for you... Pro Bowl, here ya come.

Yeah, can't say I disagree with anything this year.

LOL!!
For those that want to analyze like Marvin does, they're replaying the game on NFL Network tomorrow night at 9:30 pm eastern time.
Originally posted by NinerAce:
For those that want to analyze like Marvin does, they're replaying the game on NFL Network tomorrow night at 9:30 pm eastern time.

I dvr'd the game but i like the replay that NFLN does. they have different camera angles that they show. Will watch the replay

he's the Navorro Bowman of post-game recaps.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

LOL!!
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by HessianDud:

LOL!!

but yeah, good job, i haven't rewatched the game but your analysis sounds spot on.
we need to keep the mix going with gore and hunter.

gore is great between the tackles and hunter is great using his speed to the outside on sweeps. Hunter will need to touch the ball 8-10 times a game.

Alex was solid i give him a pss on the fumble cuz he should have fumbled like 3 times already in previsous games and didnt. the bomb to crabs was great so was the pass to miller on the fb flat pass, and the td pss to VD was also great.

Props to crabs to he snatch a couple high passes nicley
How do you not give credit to the coaching staff, their play calling and adjustments were HUGE.

besides that, good review!

my personal thoughts.

this is the BIGGEST SMILE i've had on my face over a win in a LONG LONG time. that's the most EXCITED i've seen the team's locker room in a long long time too!!

we'll have our ups and downs but Harbaugh is the man.
Here's the biggest thing I noticed, we made adjustments at half time. In the past we just had to try to out "motivate" other teams coaches. Nolan, Sing, neither of them were the thinking man's type of coach. They wanted to force their will on the other team. To make players "play harder". As opposed to saying hey maybe there are some X's and O's adjustments we need to make. I loved the quote after the game about our half time locker room. It was quiet (but not down) and they calmly assessed the situation and what they needed to change. Thats the type of coaching that pays dividends. And it showed.
Enjoyed reading your recap again this week. Great job.

I thought Brooks might deserve a mention as well. He had an excellent game, put pressure on Vick frequently, and when he tackles a guy, they usually feel it. He and RayMac brought alot of pressure from that left side of the DL.

Goldson also deserves a mention: 10 tackles, and that hit he put on Avant--whoo!

Staley had a great game as well, working first againt Trent Cole--who I thought would own him--and then against Babin after Cole went out with injury. Zero sacks allowed. Dunno what's been bothering Staley this year, but aside from one false start, he looked/played great in this game.
Originally posted by verb1der:
How do you not give credit to the coaching staff, their play calling and adjustments were HUGE.

besides that, good review!

LOL...was trying to keep it to 10.....but very true. ;-)
Originally posted by TX9R:
I stopped recording the game at halftime and deleted it.

i beat you : i stop watching after the first eagles TD feeling they were going nowhere in this game
Then i checked the results and it was 23- 17 in the 3rd ! So i went back to the sceern to see the comeback completed not before saying some more insanity
Thanks Henery we owe you one
Share 49ersWebzone