Originally posted by oldman9er:
1. Definitely use Hunter more. Philly runs a "Wide-Nine" defense, so we will need to use Hunter's speed for outside runs and quick-hitters up the A gaps. We don't need to be giving their D time by running many counters and other slow-developing runs.
2. Take some quick, sideline shots on the 9 routes early on, Alex. Get them up there quickly when you see 1-on-1 outside... 3 seconds of protection is enough time to make this happen if you put a lil air under the passes.
3. Let the individual OL know in no uncertain terms... "your jobs are not safe here... play well today or changes will be coming."
4. Bracket coverage on DeSean Jackson... don't care if you use Rogers, Spencer, or Brown... but keep an extra defender around him so the CB can disrupt by jamming him up and then putting on the speed burst.
5. Key in on McCoy as a potential pass receiving threat. Screens, shifting out of the backfield, whatever... don't let him get loose.
6. If Vick or Young is the QB, of course our D must keep contain. RayMac and Justin will close in, but they must be careful not to take false steps.
Great game plan points!
To add: The game plan for the Eagles defense against our offense will be the same as every team before them. Stack the box, up to 10 players and run blitz between the tackles...blitzing well is one of the Eagles strengths. It will be up to Harbaugh/Roman to take full advantage of this with RB/WR screens, crossing/slant & post patterns, deep stop-go patterns by Ginn/Williams, using VD/Walker behind the 5 yard box (void left from the attacking LBers), Hunter runs off-tackle, toss-outs, sweeps, etc.
We need to keep the defense OUT of the 5 yard box, from blitzing, playing down hill and generally, dictating our offense. Scheme alone can take advantage of this. Then WE can dictate for a damn change!
On defense, THIS is the time to insert Aldon Smith more for Haralson and keep Haralson fresh. This is the game we need to start Spencer and having both he and Rogers play physical and tight up at the LOS and run CB blitzes off this formation. This is the game Brooks, Smith & Haralson need to switch sides, show movement pre-snap and attack holes and weaknesses along the o-line w/o losing containment. Confusion is the key for Vick! We'll need to drop back AND blitz both Willis/Bowman/Safety. The attacks should mainly come from the outside edges with a push up the gut to contain Vick and frustrate him. No doubt he will make poor decisions and turn the ball over.
Let's get a big ST play and win the TO and TOP battle. Go Niners...coaching/scheme is THE key to winning this one.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 29, 2011 at 8:25 AM ]